Old 04-08-2016, 05:31 PM   #1

Wisconsin-Michigan

I am considering taking a 5 week trip around Lake Michigan ending at the International Rally in Indiana. I have spent 10 days in and around Detroit last year( circled Lake Erie and Lake Ontario). I am retired and travel alone (Widowed). Enjoy museums, national and state monuments and parks.

Would rather have your input than what I can get from tour books

Days RV'd 2016-----87

Old 04-08-2016, 11:04 PM   #2

We did the loop starting at Indiana Dune, then In Michigan, Grand Haven SP, Ludington SP, Sleeping Bear Dune NP, Lelanau SP, Wilderness SP, Straits SP, Ft Wilkins SP and Porcupine Mtns SP. it's a great route and amazing parks! Go see the singing fountain it Grand Haven. Fun lighthouse at Ludington too!

Happy Camping.

Forester 2451s

Old 04-08-2016, 11:06 PM   #3

My friend and I will be trying to do this route prior to the Goshen Rally in August.
I will check out your stops.
Any other information would be greatly appreciated.

Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2016, 11:36 PM   #4

We did a similar trip some years back when we lived in Indiana. We stayed in Merrimac, WI to hike at Devils Lake SP and do the upper river boat cruise at the Wisconsin Dells. We drove up to stay in Eagle River, then over to about 5 miles outside Marquette, MI. Beautiful shoreline with lots of parks and not from Picture Rocks National Lakeshore. Then we stayed in Cedarville to visit the Sioux Locks and Mackinac Island. Then we stayed outside Empire for Sleeping Bear Dunes. Wonderful place. We then went over to Oscoda for a few days. The Sturgeon Point lighthouse was really cool. Then we stopped in Coldwater for a night before heading back to Indiana.

2010 F250 5.4L 3.73
2011 Flagstaff 831FKBSS
Equal-i-zer 4pt 12K

2011 Flagstaff 831FKBSS
2010 F250 4X4 5.4L 3.73 LS
EQUALIZER E4 1200/12000
lbrjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2016, 08:25 AM   #5

There are a couple of monuments near the Tawas area, including Lumbermans Monument and Canoeist Monument, which as I recall overlooks the Au Sable river.
Old 04-09-2016, 09:45 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iggy View Post
My friend and I will be trying to do this route prior to the Goshen Rally in August.
I will check out your stops.
Any other information would be greatly appreciated.
I will let you know my stops when I lay out my route. Maybe we will meet up before Goshen
Old 04-09-2016, 09:52 AM   #7

Maritime Museum in Manitowoc, WI is cool (Welcome to the Wisconsin Maritime Museum Website | Wisconsin Maritime Website). Lots of beautiful state parks along the WI shoreline. We liked Point Beach State and Kohler Andrea State Parks. Find a State Park, Forest, Recreation Area or Trail - Wisconsin DNR Make reservations early as they are very popular. Door county is very picturesque. Stop in Milwaukee to see the Harley Davidson Museum and do some brewery tours.
Old 04-09-2016, 10:15 AM   #8

In Wisconsin there is a museum in Manitowoc that is dedicated to the World War II submarines that were built there during WWII. It is located in downtown Manitowoc and has a WWII fleet submarine that you can tour: the USS COBIA. Further up in Door County another museum that should be toured is the Door County Maritime Museum. This one explains why the waters between Green Bay and Lake Michigan are called Death's Door and the freighters that have sunk in the great lakes.
You can also take a tour of the Canna lighthouse in Peninsula state park that is located in Door County WI. There is also a Car Ferry located at Gills rock that can take you over to Washington Island for the day if you like.
On the Michigan side of the lake further down, located in Muskegon MI. Is another museum for the WWII Gato-class submarine; USS Silversides along with the Coast Guard Cutter McLane. Plus there are several nice state parks to camp in.
Good Luck
Old 04-09-2016, 10:30 AM   #9

Hartwick pines sp just north of grayling is a must see. They have a stand of virgin pine trees that they say once covered the whole state. They have a lot of old logging stuff too.
retired06 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2016, 10:41 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by djhutt View Post
I am considering taking a 5 week trip around Lake Michigan ending at the International Rally in Indiana. I have spent 10 days in and around Detroit last year( circled Lake Erie and Lake Ontario). I am retired and travel alone (Widowed). Enjoy museums, national and state monuments and parks.

Would rather have your input than what I can get from tour books

Days RV'd 2016-----87
This will be a Great trip,really any stop you make and "Branch Out" from the C/G will produce things of interest! Its hard to "Enjoy a trip" if you have Reservations/Deadlines to Keep! Mi & Wi campgrounds reservations start EARLY and fill Fast during Premium Camping! Just something to think about in the Time period you are going! Youroo!!