Old 06-22-2013, 01:05 PM   #11
Ford is 5 years or 60,000 miles on power train.

2013 Forester #3051SF
2009 Toyoda Tacoma (toad)
2010 Newmar Dutchstar (Sold)
2011 Fleetwood Bounder (Sold)
trwmodela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 06:38 PM   #12
Being a few states away from where this unit is kind of limits my ability to do this unfortunately. I'm also the only one that I know of my friends that is even considering an RV or has any experience with one....

Originally Posted by Scotty2 View Post
Maybe bring a friend that owns an RV, might be able to give you some insight on what to look for.

specialk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 06:39 PM   #13
Thanks for the link/info- I'll have to look into this a bit..

Originally Posted by trwmodela View Post
The dealer would be writing a warranty through one of the Insurance Companies. Dealers do not have warranties exclusive to them. You want a warranty that permits you to get repairs/service at any authorized locations around the Country. Example: you have a Dometic refrigerator issue, just a find the closest dealer that is authorized to make the repair. Sometimes you will find Mobile RV Techs that come to you and can make the repair.

Check out Good Sam Warranties as an example and you can see what they cover. They are just one of many Companies that provide RV warranties.

Auto and RV Extended Service Plans | Better Than Extended Warranty
Old 06-22-2013, 06:52 PM   #14
Valid points, but I haven't seen any used 2301 Foresters around me, let alone within a day's driving distance, hence the interest in going halfway across the country to look at this unit...

Pricing locally for used units seems to be higher than in other parts of the country, and dealers don't seem to be willing to match prices found on the internet..

I'm kind of torn at this point since I've got a refundable deposit on the unit at this time, but I'd be out my time and plane fare if I go check this out and it's not what we're looking for.

I swing between just taking a chance on it and going out there to see it, and calling the whole thing off and just waiting until something in our budget/specs shows up closer to us...

Originally Posted by paulmlac View Post
Just my opinion but I wouldn't consider a used RV in Indiana if I lived in Colorado. The only exception would be if it was something extremely unique. This isn't.

Here's why: I looked at a lot of used units and there is a lot of potential for things not to be right. Just a lot of question marks given the distance.

I would think there would be a good amount of used RV's in your area (although not sure what impact the recent fires there had on supply and demand).

As to the two warranties the dealer talked about: One is the 3 / 36 bumper the bumper chassis warranty. There is also a 5 / 100 (???) power train warranty. Any Ford dealer could handle that work.

But to be clear, the greater likelihood for something to be / go wrong is with the "house" portion and, again, it's just a long distance away in my opinion.