Old 12-25-2014, 09:12 PM   #11

With everything clean and resealed I had 2-3 light to pretty heavy rains with no signs of leaks. I moved forward with the framing now. I placed a cedar 2x4 across the front aluminum frame with self tapping screws counter sunk into the aluminum. I measured the roof curve and cut the cedar to match as best as possible. The bottom is flush with the aluminum to keep my original roof line/height.

I cut 1/4 plywood to reinforce the roof and placed it above the cedar frame. Not shown but in the corners where the rotted ply was scraped away I sprayed with expandable foam(Great Stuff). This should help bridge the gap between the fiber glass and new inner plywood. The new ply is held up on the sides by a strip of pine screwed to the aluminum frame.

The back frame was done pretty much same way. Measured and cut on a curve. It is only held in at the end being toe screwed into the aluminum. I plan on connecting the inner skin to the old inner ply and a couple of other creative ways to support the system better. I've got to remember to not over do it because it should continue to be somewhat flexible and light so it can sail down the highway.... More pictures to follow.

Old 02-02-2015, 10:26 AM   #12
Bus Driver

Your Work so far looks great!!!!!
How are you making out now?

Old 02-02-2015, 05:05 PM   #13

We'll be viewing the Dicor roof seam inspection on YouTube. Can't wait to get up on our Forester and take a look. Sterling information -- thank you for sharing!
Old 02-14-2015, 09:14 PM   #14

Been going pretty slowly lately. I recently inspected the new Dicor only to find that it was pulling apart in a few places. It never did this when new but I wonder if this whole area is just not rigid enough for a Dicor seam to seal long term. Pretty upset over it. So I move forward with the original plan of putting eternabond tape across the front seam and back a few feet on the side seams. Pictures to follow. I hope this will be a permanent fix and if so really think all new Foresters should leave the factory with this extra insurance.

I finished the framing with a single center frame supporting the plywood seam down the center.

I bought some Dow blue sheet insulation from Lowes. I guess its just over an inch thick. I cut it to fit the two pockets in layers. The third layer crosses the center frame as a full piece. It is obviously only one layer at the edge and not quite the laminate of the original design but close enough. Ready for the inside skin and finish. Final pictures posted soon.

Old 02-16-2015, 09:10 PM   #15
Bus Driver

Prien007... Thank you for sharing your info. I am concerned about this very problem with my 2012 Forester. My unit has the Front Entertainment Unit so the very front inside is not as visible as yours. Did you first realize your problem from the padded ceiling material?
I am going to use Eternabond tape across the front seam as well if only as a preventative measure at the least.

There was an earlier thread HERE that first had me concerned

Thanks again
Old 02-16-2015, 09:57 PM   #16

Not long after we purchased our (2012) 3121 Forester we noticed mildew along the ceiling in front of the entertainment center. Then checking cabinets on either side we found puddled water in the cabinet over driver side. We brought MH to dealer...upon inspection they found that two out of three front cab lights were not sealed and water had leaked in through them. Dealer repaired/replaced everything that was damaged by water.
Old 02-18-2015, 09:40 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deaver View Post
Prien007... Thank you for sharing your info. I am concerned about this very problem with my 2012 Forester. My unit has the Front Entertainment Unit so the very front inside is not as visible as yours. Did you first realize your problem from the padded ceiling material?
I am going to use Eternabond tape across the front seam as well if only as a preventative measure at the least.

There was an earlier thread HERE that first had me concerned

Thanks again
Yes, It first started as some beige discolored marks like the foam or the glue behind the vinyl is breaking down. Then it got larger and in some places looked red. I peeled it back thinking it could be moisture and it was always dry. Don't mistake dry for never wet! It did this for a while with no signs of a leak on the roof. And then it all of a sudden was soft. If you have the entertainment center, just eternabond the seams and check for softness.

Only after the roof was soft did I find where water was in the camper under the overhead matress. I assume when it got soft was when the major water got in.

The front appears to be the problem area, but don't assume its the only place. I have the same problem in my closet at the rear drivers corner. Wet cedar and all....

Too bad my leak wasn't fast enough to be under warranty.

Tags
2012, forester, leak, roo, roof