Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-26-2016, 09:30 PM   #1

2012 forester 3171 ds - drivetrain vibration ?

Hello everyone - I wanted to put this question out there to see if what I'm experiencing is normal or if anyone else knows what I'm talking about. At around 45-55 mph I get a vibration that seems to come from out of nowhere - if I had to pinpoint it maybe the rear wheels - it is not Terrible but noticeable - and above 55 it goes away somewhat - around 70 it feels a little rumble but no vibration like at 45-55 mph. The front tires are a year old and rears are 6 months old, front end alignment and new front tie rods done two months ago - I keep air bags at 90 psi, I tried them at 20 psi to see if it changed and it didn't. I'm thinking it's tire or wheel balance issue but not sure. Anyone experience this before ?
skylilymd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2016, 09:55 PM   #2

Our Sunseeker lost a weight from the driveline and immediately began vibrating. I posted a thread about repairing it. I can't search for it with my phone but if you can't find it send me a private message and I will look for it tomorrow night. I think the title was something like E450 Driveline Problem. If you lost a weight, you'll have to have all three sections of the driveline balanced together, preferably over the range 2400 to 3800 rpm, which is the driveline rpm at 45 to 70 mph.
RamblerGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2016, 08:34 AM   #3

I am responding to skylilymd's PM here so others may follow the discussion.

Skylilymd, yes, I am the one who posted the thread. It's at http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...oad-67039.html

It may help you figure out your problem.

I included photos in my thread so you can see what to look for. You may want to try my temporary fix with hose clamps to confirm your problem. If it reduces your vibration, you could just leave it at that. I've known it to be a permanent fix.

When the weight came off, we were going 65 mph on a smooth interstate. We immediately felt a vibration that became greater as I slowed down through 45 - 50 mph, then reduced as we slowed more. There was a loud hum with the vibration. Even after having it rebalanced, there is still a little hum that seems to be greater around 50 mph. It may be as good as it was when new and I just notice it more since I had to do so much work on it. When we lost the weight, it wasn't just a little hum. It vibrated the rear view mirrors so badly I couldn't see behind us.

Read the post and get back with me if you have more questions.
Old 02-29-2016, 08:38 AM   #4
DDC

It does sound like drive shaft balance, it could also be that the rear tires need rebalancing.
Donald&Casey cairn terrier
Rest in Peace Mary my darling wife.
Scottish by birth Canadian by time.
DDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2016, 05:46 PM   #5

I agree. I'd look very carefully at the driveshafts for a evidence of a missing weight. If I didn't find evidence of it, I'd have the tires rebalanced before I had the driveline removed and rebalanced.
Old 02-29-2016, 08:48 PM   #6

Got home late tonight - will check the driveshaft in the morning and get pictures if I find anything - thanks for the info
Old 02-29-2016, 08:56 PM   #7

Look for the sillouitte of a weight in paint on the driveshafts and feel for remains of welds. On mine the weight came off because the welds did not penetrate so there was no evidence of a weld, but I could see the weight's unpainted outline.
Old 03-01-2016, 11:13 AM   #8

Well I just finished looking over the whole driveshaft and I don't see any silhouettes or any obvious indication of a weight missing - however I do not know how long it may have been missing because it is had this slight vibration ever sense I have owned it - The only thing that I noticed was that there are two little weld blobs right next to a smaller weight that may have been the attachment for a larger weight I took some pictures it's hard to see unless you're looking at it in person - I think I will try the hose clamps at this location to see if it makes any difference by the way rambler guy where did you buy those hose clamps at ? Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1456848745.745008.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	83.7 KB
ID:	100812Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1456848760.978858.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	83.2 KB
ID:	100813Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1456848777.198652.jpg
Views:	163
Size:	80.7 KB
ID:	100814
Old 03-01-2016, 11:49 AM   #9

You can get the screw type hose clamps at most auto parts stores.

I actually bought the hose clamps at a Ford dealer. There happened to be one next door to where we pulled off the interstate. We went there to ask where to find a driveshaft shop and decided to try the hose clamps. It worked well enough that we finished the trip.

If you can't see where weights came off, it may be difficult to help the balance by trial and error. We knew exactly where we needed to add weight. We only had to guess how much. If this problem was there before you installed new tires, you may have to get the driveshafts rebalanced, or if it isn't too bad, just live with it.
Old 03-01-2016, 06:56 PM   #10

hose clamp balancing

Quote:
Originally Posted by RamblerGuy View Post
You can get the screw type hose clamps at most auto parts stores.

I actually bought the hose clamps at a Ford dealer. There happened to be one next door to where we pulled off the interstate. We went there to ask where to find a driveshaft shop and decided to try the hose clamps. It worked well enough that we finished the trip.

If you can't see where weights came off, it may be difficult to help the balance by trial and error. We knew exactly where we needed to add weight. We only had to guess how much. If this problem was there before you installed new tires, you may have to get the driveshafts rebalanced, or if it isn't too bad, just live with it.
Take two typical automotive clamps. Put the screw part of both where the weigh fell off. Test drive, vibrates? Move clamp s apart a small distance. Move more.Retest keep going till vibration gets the best it can. Once clamp ends get to 180 deg. apart, still vibrates/you need more weight. Remove and take to a truck driveshaft shop.

Good luck
pdqparalegal1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2016, 01:21 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by skylilymd View Post
Well I just finished looking over the whole driveshaft and I don't see any silhouettes or any obvious indication of a weight missing - however I do not know how long it may have been missing because it is had this slight vibration ever sense I have owned it - The only thing that I noticed was that there are two little weld blobs right next to a smaller weight that may have been the attachment for a larger weight I took some pictures it's hard to see unless you're looking at it in person - I think I will try the hose clamps at this location to see if it makes any difference by the way rambler guy where did you buy those hose clamps at ? Attachment 100812Attachment 100813Attachment 100814

Wow, that driveshaft looks pretty corroded . Could that be some of the balance problem?
2016 Forester 3171DS (ordered March & arrived June 2015)
benagi is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2012, forester