Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-12-2012, 12:22 PM   #1

2012 sunseeker 2300 house batteries

I've had this mh since may 2011. Just recently I noticed the battery indicator had low readings while on shore power. If I switch the 12volt cutoff to the off position while on shore power the lights dim. With all lights off and the switch on the indicator will climb to 1 or 2 thirds but if I turn on a single light it drops to empty. If I switch the 12 volt cutoff to off and no lights are on the indicator shows full but drops off immediately when switched to on position. I just had the awning motor replaced. Could this be related?
nights camped 2011: 42
nights camped 2012: 48
nights camped 2013: 40
janegraves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 12:04 PM   #2

Have you checked the water levels in your battery? They should be checked every few weeks of use. Could be a lot of things. Disconnect shore power and start the chassis engine. The engine alternator should charge the coach battery and the indicator should show 4 lights. If not I would suggest a bad battery since it's unlikely both the shore power converter and the engine charging system would go bad at the same time. Now there is a possibility you have the same issue I had whereby a 5 amp fuse was not installed at the factory in the fuse box in the step well by the battery. This fuse is in the alternator charging circuit and the alternator will only charge the chassis battery if not there. If there is no difference in light intensity or battery lights when the engine is started you may have this missing fuse issue as well.

You said you replaced the awning motor. Was the cause of the motor failure determined? There have been recalls on the control switch which shorts out and burns up the motor. If your awning works normally now I don't think it's the cause of your problems now unless it deep cycled and killed your battery when the motor failed.
ATVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 07:34 PM   #3

Thanks for the reply ATVer. The symptoms did not begin until after the awning motor was replaced by Camping World. It was under warranty. I had no problems when it failed. My son checked the batteries and his tester said they were good. I do not see any place to check water in my batteries, just compartments that say they have acid in them. I don't see any fuse in the step. I drove 800 miles and the batteries did not charge, in fact they drained almost totally dead. I am home and plugged in. Some charging is going on from shore power, but very little. It seems to me that something is draining the batteries faster than they can charge. I am wondering if it is related to the awning motor replacement. I'm calling Camping World tomorrow.
Old 10-15-2012, 11:04 AM   #4

Fuse for the switch that combines the batteries

Here is the thread that discusses the fuse issue I spoke about earlier. Your unit is right in the production time period when the issue occured. I would definitely check it. If the batteries are good and the Chassis alternator circuit was functioning properly it would have charged them in 800 miles. The alternator is good for at least 120 amps so I can't see where you would have a lasting short capable of sustaining that current without burning up. I'm really interested in learning what Camping World finds.
Old 10-22-2012, 07:47 PM   #5

Spent 5 hours and $97 at Camping World to be told the converter was bad. Still a few months left on the 2 year warranty but the manufacturer won't let them put in one from stock. Need to wait until they send one to replace it. Manufacturer only allows .5 hour labor and Camping World needs 2 hours. So 1.5 hours labor is at my expense. After this is resolved I think I am done with Camping World. I'll drive an extra hour for service if there is a chance that it is any better. This is the 3rd bad experience I've had at this location.
Old 10-22-2012, 08:33 PM   #6

That stinks. Camping World may not sell Sunseekers but I thought any Forest River Dealer would do warranty work on any Forest River product for no charge to the customer.
Old 10-22-2012, 08:51 PM   #7

I'm out of warranty. The only warranty I have is on individual parts. I've had this over a year. This location was a forest river warranty service before camping world took it over. I had warranty work done early this year at no charge but my RV came back with a dent they denied happened there. Shortly after that camping world took over and they no longer do warranty work for forest river. I figured it didn't matter since my warranty was out anyhow but I had it in there for the awning motor and I get it back with a broken power converter. I'm just tired of it coming out of this place with something new broken.
Old 10-22-2012, 09:09 PM   #8

I forgot FR is only 1 year, my KZ toyhauler had a two year bumper to bumper full warranty. I agree on poor service at most all places. If you are lucky and they fix what you came in for, they usually break or damage something else. I rarely have any work done by any dealer for anything: RVs, Power Sports, cars, etc. I have had luck convincing them on warranty or recall work to give me the parts and I will make the repairs myself and give them back the old parts so they can get reimbursed.

Tags
battery