Old 01-12-2014, 05:49 PM   #1

Cummins Onan fuel pump leaks

Trwmodela, did Onan Cummins happen to mention if all 2013 3051s are affected with this flaw in the generator fuel pump? Just for once I would like to be one step ahead of these things. As with you, I am still working out the bugs in my Forester.

Frank

Old 01-13-2014, 09:05 AM   #2

Frank, I knew there was an ongoing problem with 2013 & 2014 Onan gas RV generators. It started to give off a gas odor around 14 hours. Cummins replaced my carb & fuel pump without charge. My suggestion would be contacting Cummins Oman dealer, provide model and serial number. There is a service bulletin on replacing the fuel pumps. Otherwise you must wait for things to fail.

Sent from my HTC6500LVW using Forest River Forums mobile app

2013 Forester #3051SF
2009 Toyoda Tacoma (toad)
2010 Newmar Dutchstar (Sold)
2011 Fleetwood Bounder (Sold)
trwmodela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 12:20 PM   #3

Frank, I took my RV directly to a Cummins Onan Dealer. Not the RV dealership, hopefully one is closeby.

2013 Forester #3051SF
Old 01-13-2014, 05:05 PM   #4

Thanks for the information Trwmodela. I called Cummins Onan this afternoon and gave my gen set data to them. I will find out tomorrow if mine is affected.

Thanks again,
Frank
Old 01-13-2014, 05:23 PM   #5

Frank, there is a replacement fuel pump for those generators. Some had their pump replaced more then once, because they are not getting the upgraded model. Avoid places like Camping World that stll may have spare pumps in stock. The upgraded replacement has a different I.D. on it.

2013 Forester #3051SF
Old 01-14-2014, 04:10 PM   #6

Was informed today by Cummins Onan rep today that they will not replace the fuel pump until it fails or starts leaking gas. They don't consider the problem bad enough to run a campaign to replace all affected generator owners.

Frank
Old 01-14-2014, 05:40 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by ourflat View Post
Was informed today by Cummins Onan rep today that they will not replace the fuel pump until it fails or starts leaking gas. They don't consider the problem bad enough to run a campaign to replace all affected generator owners.

Frank

Wow that's interesting. Having to wait till the pump fails is one thing but refusing to change out something that is a known cause of a gas leak and safety issue. If the leak lead to a fire and someone was hurt or killed they would have a multimillion dollar valid lawsuit. I opted for the Generac unit but if I had an Onan I probably would opt to change it out myself or at least carry a spare pump on board.
Old 01-14-2014, 06:07 PM   #8

Cummins Onan

Frank,
I would write a very nice letter to Cummins Onan about your concerns over the problematic fuel pumps. Tell them you have done some research online and discovered many new RV owners with the same problem. Cummins is well aware of the problem and has already changed to a different pump. I would address concerns over the possibility of having a fire on-board your RV. They replaced both my fuel pump and carburetor since it was getting harder to start.

Another possibility is writing a letter to Good Sams or FMCA that gets into their magazine. This can sometimes get more attention, but putting things in writing is always a good rule of thumb.

BTW...my fuel pump failed on a 4 month summer trip in the Mountains of N.C.

2013 Forester #3051SF
Old 01-15-2014, 12:59 PM   #9

Trwmodela, letter sent today along with email to Cummins Onan corporate office. I can't believe they are willing to let this hazard cause a fire to one of our RVs. Fail/fix is not the answer when dealing with a low flashpoint from gasoline vapors in/and around our RVs.

Frank
Old 01-15-2014, 01:05 PM   #10

I read this thread about Cummins/Onan and I an surprised. If you go back in my threads I also had an issue but Cummins/Onan replaced the fuel pump under warranty at their facility in Nashville

Tags
2013, 305, generator, leak, pump