Old 01-22-2013, 10:52 AM   #1
Plain Old Member

2013 Forester Cabinet Wood / Stain

Can anybody tell me what type of wood the cabinet doors are made of and what brand / color stain and what poly or lacquer is used in the 2013 Foresters? I'd like to know for future mods / additions to get the color matched right. Hopefully it's not a "custom" blend that I can't get off a shelf as some manufacturers do.

2013 Ford F-350 Lariat CC LB PSD
2015 SOB TT - With OC's Awning Poles (#8)
At least in Heaven, RVs will be perfect, and I won't have to keep fixing them.
BigJohnD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 11:12 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJohnD View Post
Can anybody tell me what type of wood the cabinet doors are made of and what brand / color stain and what poly or lacquer is used in the 2013 Foresters? I'd like to know for future mods / additions to get the color matched right. Hopefully it's not a "custom" blend that I can't get off a shelf as some manufacturers do.
BigjohnD: I am also interested in the cabinet material, etc. I tried having a cabinet door placed on an open cabinet and was denied the door installation. My unit, Flagstaff 29RLSS is not even in production yet. My cabinets are hickory. I will appreciate any posting of the stain, wood, etc. May have to get a custom door manufactured. If anyone has succeeded in purchasing a cabinet door from Forest River, please advise me. A contact name would also be appreciated. Thank you

l001952119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 11:25 AM   #3
Plain Old Member

On my Tiffin, I ended up getting a local cabinet maker who did aftermarket work on them to send me a quart of the stain, and it was a perfect match. It was Sherwin Williams, but not a color you could purchase from a paint stoor. No label and it could not be duplicated as Tiffin won't tell you anything. I'm hoping this is a simple Sherwin Williams or Minwax stain. All I need to do for now is make a nice wood bezel for the remote display of a progressive industries ems-hw30c. Had one in the previous unit and well worth it. But, if I ever get stuff to match, no telling what else I'll add or build for the interior. I read an older post somewhere on here where somebody got Forest River to make a cabinet door, or have one made to their specs and shipped to them. Don't remember where I saw it though.
Old 01-22-2013, 11:32 AM   #4

I also remember a prior post regarding an owner purchasing a cabinet door direct from factory. I cannot locate the posting either. Will the original poster please share the information?
l001952119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 11:57 AM   #5

I purchased (3) cab. doors (Cherry)? thru a Flagstaff Dealer Parts Dept. I used standard size doors that were used in Flagstaff RVs. Perfect type and match. Youroo!!
youroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 12:19 PM   #6
Plain Old Member

Hopefully somebody will know what brand and color, specific to the Forester. Seems like on every brand I've owned, it's like pulling teeth trying to get that same answer. I do all my own wood work so all I need is the stain and wood details. If worse comes to worse, I'll pull a door and take it to the paint shop and try to match. Still not sure what type of wood it is. Probably maple, birch or something like that. Definitely does not look like oak. I used poplar in place of the Alder in previous coach and it was a close match. Poplar would probably work in this case.
Old 01-22-2013, 02:15 PM   #7

I have a Sunseeker with the cherry cabinets but I believe they are the same as the Forester. I used Minwax "Gunstock 231" and it looked like an exact match to me. I have a number of color stains in my garage and usually blend what I need but this seemed fine right out of the can.
ATVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 02:40 PM   #8
Plain Old Member

ATVer, do your cabinets look similar in color to the attached photo?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0174.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	47.1 KB
ID:	23284  
Old 01-22-2013, 02:48 PM   #9

In my Grey Wolf, I just made some pieces from Cherry and used spray Minwax polyuerathane satin and they are a perfect match.
Master Blaster of the Navy
BigTJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 03:00 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJohnD View Post
ATVer, do your cabinets look similar in color to the attached photo?

Yes.

ATVer is offline   Reply With Quote