Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-31-2018, 02:10 PM   #1

2014 Forester 3011DS Awning not working

The electric awning is not responding when the button is pushed. At first there was no sound and no movement. After leaving it alone for awhile, we tried it again, and it made some very faint clicking sounds, but there was no movement. Now it is back to no sound or movement. Everything else in the coach works, and the battery is at full charge.

My first guess is there’s a loose connection somewhere. I checked the wires on the back of the switch, and they are tight. Any thoughts on what else to look at and/or where to look?
avid108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2018, 05:44 PM   #2

My new Freelander 20CB electric awning was open and unresponsive. Regained control when I shut the chassis engine off. Safety cutout?

2022 Coachmen Apex Remote 16R (Remo)
New Hampshire
Wood2Cook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2018, 05:54 PM   #3

Below is a page from Dometic awning although the procedure for retracting would be the same for any mfg...

this method allows you to test if the motor is at fault...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	awning fail 01.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	135.8 KB
ID:	181900  

2014 Shamrock 183
2014 RAM 1500 Bighorn Crew Cab, HEMI, 3.21 gears, 8 Spd, 4X4 TST TPMS
rsdata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2018, 07:08 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsdata View Post
Below is a page from Dometic awning although the procedure for retracting would be the same for any mfg...

this method allows you to test if the motor is at fault...
Thank you. I took the hardware connector off and put my volt meter on it and had my wife hit the switch. There is plenty of power, so it looks like my motor is shot.
Old 07-31-2018, 07:35 PM   #5

Quote:
put my volt meter on it and had my wife hit the switch. There is plenty of power,
avid108

Well, no so fast...
You measured voltage with your meter, NOT POWER...
a poor or corroded connection prior to your test point will allow a small amount of current and the voltage will read correct, but when more amps are pulled through the circuit by the motor the voltage may drop to where the motor only clicks...

you could try to measure the voltage WITH the connector attached to the motor to see if the voltage drops from 12V to something much lower when the switch is ON...

OR

put a known good source of wire with 12V from a car battery to the motor and see if the motor works... if it does then you know you have a bad connection/connector somewhere in the power supply line... and you don't waste time and money on a new motor...

2014 Shamrock 183
Old 07-31-2018, 07:39 PM   #6
2012 Solera

Believe a few years ago there were several posts about the switch failing. As RSData says, a corroded switch could show voltage open circuit, but not supply sufficient power for the motor.
JLeising is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2018, 07:45 PM   #7
2012 Solera

Re: this thread starting on post #4:
http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...ing-32996.html
FYI
Jim
JLeising is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2018, 08:43 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsdata View Post
avid108

Well, no so fast...
You measured voltage with your meter, NOT POWER...
a poor or corroded connection prior to your test point will allow a small amount of current and the voltage will read correct, but when more amps are pulled through the circuit by the motor the voltage may drop to where the motor only clicks...

you could try to measure the voltage WITH the connector attached to the motor to see if the voltage drops from 12V to something much lower when the switch is ON...

OR

put a known good source of wire with 12V from a car battery to the motor and see if the motor works... if it does then you know you have a bad connection/connector somewhere in the power supply line... and you don't waste time and money on a new motor...
14 ga. household wire is all I have on hand - testing with that on a good battery yields the same results. The motor clicks but does not turn. If I need a larger wire, I will have to get back to you in a few days. I don’t think I have any 12 ga. trailer wire lying around.
Old 07-31-2018, 10:23 PM   #9

I think 14 ga is good...
if motor clicks it is probably bad...
I read the other posted thread mentioned and it appears a replacement can be had for $40... not a bad investment to just get one and try it...

2014 Shamrock 183
Old 07-31-2018, 11:36 PM   #10

I have read in a past thread that the supports, when closed, stuck. Try pulling out on the supports and operating the switch at the same time to see if by chance they might be stuck in the closed position and the motor does not have enough power to open the awning. Worth a try at least.
HopHed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018, 06:18 PM   #11

I had what sounds like the same situation. Tried everything I could think of including all of what is written above. I took the awning off the motor home and pulled the motor. On the work bench I connected power the the motor with an extra battery I keep in the shop. The motor worked. I switched the polarity and it worked in reverse. I reinstalled the awning and it has been working fine since.
markb422 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2014, awning, forester