Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-06-2014, 11:53 AM   #1

2015 3011ds vs 3151s vs 2861ds

Just ordered a 3011 but now second guessing whether the 2861 or 3051 floor plans might be better. The local dealer doesn't stock them so we are going by the web site. The one thing we like is being able look at one another in the 3051 rather than in one line in the 3011. Also, any difference in sleeping quarters?

Pros....cons....

Thanks,
Marc
West Cactus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 01:34 PM   #2

We looked at both and decided on the 3051 because of the layout. We have only had for a couple of weeks and so far love, love it! We previously had a Jamboree GT. And while very nice we are enjoying being able to be more "side by side". The full slide is awesome too.
Pixie204 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 01:52 PM   #3

Thanks, any other differences you noticed that make a difference? Are they the same except for layout?
Old 07-06-2014, 02:01 PM   #4

Not sure there are a lot of differences. We did like the tv "pop up" on the counter of the 3011. We have the tv in the overhead bunk and while nice it is a little high. We had a had a couple of issues with our MH and the dealer was not interested but the FR customer service has been great so think you will be happy with whatever MH you decide on.
Old 07-07-2014, 03:42 PM   #5

Hey Pixie What problems did you have with your 3051?
wana65stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 04:51 PM   #6

The were mostly either cosmetic--the woodgrain dash is defective, the cabinets have visible staple marks, the ceiling has LOTS of finger prints, lots of construction "stuff" left behind--and relatively minor things-- the slide out makes lots of noise when going out. The satellite system doesn't work. The component for the Surius radio keeps falling out under the dash. The ice maker doesn't work most of the time. These are all things that can be fixed and certainly don't keep us from enjoying the MH. Don't really want to make a big deal of any of it unless we have problems with getting warranty work done--then let the whinning begin We purchased in Utah-only a couple of Forester dealers in CO-and the price was right. We live in Southern Colorado so had a ways to go--will get warrantee work done more locally (still 120 miles tho)
Old 07-07-2014, 05:01 PM   #7

Pixie: not sure if you know it or not but the control box for the slide is behind the small panel below the stove( panel has four screws holding it in place) this is good to know if you ever have a problem with retracing slide when it is out.Take panel off and read the directions on the box.Some of the issues you have I also had, good to know I wasn't the only one HAHA.
Old 07-07-2014, 05:11 PM   #8

Thanks, that is good to know. Did you have any problems getting issues resolved?
and are you happy with the 3051. We love it so far.
Old 07-07-2014, 05:23 PM   #9

Pixie, The dealer we bought from isn't the best to get work done from ( had to go up the chain of command a couple of times) but we did get most things repaired.On the whole we REALLY!! like the 3051 , the floor plan works great for us as a family of five and one dog.One other thing I would like to pass along to you is, watch the weight you carry, the load cap is not really high on the 3051 and it adds up fast! Happy camping
Old 07-07-2014, 05:33 PM   #10

Yeah the floorplan is pretty great. There are just the 2 of us and a dog most of the time so don't think the load will be a problem but guess we need to be more aware. Enjoy with your family--we used to travel with a pop-up with the kids. Always good times!
Old 07-08-2014, 06:46 PM   #11

Canceled the 3011 and changed to the 3051. Dealer was a great help! The floor plan seems much better. Kept all the upgraded options but delayed delivery a bit!
Old 07-08-2014, 08:33 PM   #12

I have the 3051 and have had it since October (a 2014 model). My DW and I absolutely love it. We particularly love the couch and bench being across for each other as it makes visiting easier and doesn't get in the way of the kitchen. We also like the larger kitchen layout and the super slide. We would like to have the changes in the 2015, but are OK as is. You will love your new 3051.

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
Rocket City Gary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 08:37 PM   #13

Thanks Gary. That is why we switched! Do you have the TV mounted in front? If so, how does that work out for you? I am not sure if I'll be banging my head into it!
Old 07-08-2014, 09:14 PM   #14

In the 2014 we have the TV mounted on a swivel arm in the large bunk area above the drivers seat. No way to bang my head into it. When the slide is in the TV is only half visible from the bench but fully visible from the couch. With the slide out the TV is viewable from anywhere in the living/kitchen area and the angle can be adjusted to better suit where you are sitting. I have no issues with the TV overhead.
Rocket City Gary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 04:58 PM   #15

Pixie, I assume you are not very close to Denver. There is, what seems to be, a decent dealer in Wheat Ridge, just off of I70, Trailer Source. I've had work done in the shop and it was good quality but not cheap.

We're looking to buy a 3011 or 3051 when our house sells. I like the 3011 because it seems like the TV viewing would be more convenient. A popup TV in the kitchen counter might solve that. It'll kind of depend on what is available when the house sells. We've had it on the market for 15 months and we're still waiting for an interested party.

Does anybody have experience with picking up a Forester in Indiana? That might be an option for us.

Bill
bill spickler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 06:30 AM   #16

I also own a 2014 3051S, bought in Sept. Live in Pa. So did not get to use much in winter, but went out 2 weekends in Oct and Nov., then week at Memorial Day and 10 days end of June. Unit now at dealer for WARRANTY WORK. I did not buy used, brand new from dealer, and here is what is getting fixed in less then 10 months, less than 2,000 miles total road travel. It is just the wife and I and our 2 little dogs, so not a hard use situation.
Warranty list, coach door won't lock, large cabinet door under bathroom sink fell off threads stripped on hinges, bedroom closet door on right fell off, again poor installation with hinges, trash can lid on kitchen counter, edging came off, SLIDE WOULD NOT RETRACT, ( remember where control is you will need it), stabilizers leaking fluid metallic noise when retract, Jacknife sofa was not secured to floor ( thank god No sudden movement with passenger ), 3 compartment locks will not work cylinder just spins, radio system cycling on/off very quickly, even with rv off, ruined sub woofer.
Even with all these problems we still think we have the best class C out there, we love the room in kitchen, double door fridge with ice maker, the outdoor tv and radio, the room around the bed, the closet space in bedroom and I love the Ford E-450 Triton engine and the 7500 lb tow capacity. In 15 days we will close on our house and be 100% Full timers and I have faith that this rv will be a solid unit for us for many years to come. We are already making mods., ordered retro kit for slide out pantry, took out jacknife, was glad was not bolted for that, removing dinette and replacing with double recliner. Moving tv from overhead to hang below cabinets above jacknife location. Removing carpet and laying a wood floor.
Recliner going in before we hit road west and tv relocate will be same time.
So as I keep being told forget about all the warranty problems, Forest River is no different than any other company out there because the h have the same problems.
Have a great time exploring and enjoy your RV.
USNMM1VETERAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 08:20 AM   #17

Thanks Gary, we live about 3 hours south of Denver. Did look at the dealer in Wheatridge, very nice but not willing to deal with a trade. That is where we were able to actually look at the models tho and loved the 3051. Didn't have good luck trying to pick one up in Indiana either so ended up with a good deal in Utah--just not a good experience once we went to pick it up. Have to say the trip(s) to SLC were beautiful.
West Cactus, you will love your 3051 when you get it.
Old 07-11-2014, 12:43 AM   #18

Thanks Pixie! We are so looking forward to it. Many questions to go!
Old 07-11-2014, 01:42 PM   #19

You will love the 3051, we have a 3050 which is the same style floorplan and love it, very roomy and storage is great. Took to Fla. for 2 months this winter and felt very comfortable. Have now had it for almost 11 months. I think it is one of the best class c floor plans.
Sunnyfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 09:53 PM   #20

I know this has been asked before but what do you guys use for roadside assistance or rv assistance? Good Sam? KOA? Coach Net?
Thanks,
Marc