Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-26-2016, 05:57 PM   #1

2016 Ford brake controller recall

I did a search on the forum and didn't come up with anything about this. It doesn't apply to me but it might apply to some new rigs, not sure if they come with an OEM brake controller.
Found this on a recall site.
"Ford Motor Company (Ford) is recalling certain model year 2016 E-350 and E-450 vehicles manufactured November 3, 2014, to December 10, 2015 and equipped with a 6.8L engine and an optional trailer brake controller. The trailer braking system may fail, increasing the distance needed to stop the vehicle."

Ford E 450 recall

Brian
Tombsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2016, 08:09 AM   #2

I had posted a previous question trying to find out if our new 2016 3011 comes with a brake controller or not. Would be especially good to know now that there seems to be a recall.

RVr
newRVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2016, 09:43 AM   #3
Chief tinkerer

Thanks Brian. RVr, I believe the story is that Ford builds and FR orders the cutaway without the TBC since they do not know if the end user will even need it. We decided to go with an electric brake dolly so I am interested in installing a controller. Brian's note above does highlight that it is an available option. From researching the Ford Truck forum, the wiring is there in the cab behind the coin holder and capped and stowed at the back of the original driver side frame rail. From reading the two options are (1) OEM tbc and the dealer has to program the PMC to recognize it or (2) Aftermarket controller with a harness adapter using the factory plug. With both of these you have to complete the wiring from the frame rail.
I will be in a better position to discuss after our 3010 is delivered this week (fingers crossed). If you figure it out first, please pass along what you learn.

2017 SunSeeker 3010DS
Gidyupgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2016, 11:38 AM   #4

Thanks for the clarification, I read some of that on the Ford site and was a bit confused. For now I'll just be towing my boat trailer and it doesn't have brakes but it's nice to know for down the road.

Brian
Tombsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2016, 02:40 PM   #5

OEM brake controller

I have been looking for the OEM integrated brake controller for the Ford E-450. It can be a factory installed option, but we are past that. I haven't found a Ford dealer that can order the part. Reading the specs, it states that the integrated brake controller is good for a GCWR of 22,000 lbs and can only be used with trailers having electrically actuated drum brakes.
PenJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 02:34 PM   #6

e450 brake controller

Having big problem getting info on Brake controller for my new 3010DS Sunseeker! Came with trailer package but no factory controller in dash(asked for it when ordering but didn't come with it!). Dealer sold me a tekonsha primus iq controller and adapter harness. Plugged rt into plug behind coin holder(which they dug out for me before leaving dealer!). But when I went to pull out of garage it had tripped the anti theft system! Had towed to ford dealer to reset(only way). Said the controller did it! Might be bad harness or unit? Have not been back to rv dealer yet! They said they would look at it? Tried to buy a factory unit that is optional on the cutaway vans. Eventually found out that it is impossible to install if van did not come with it! No way ever! Not wired and computer not programmed for it! Anyone run into this??
Flamed40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 04:22 PM   #7

Yes, It is not available on the cut-away chassis unless installed at the factory. They are available aftermarket on ebay for the F series trucks.
PenJoe is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
brake control, controller, ford, recall, brakes