Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-04-2015, 10:21 AM   #1

2016 Forester 2861DS ready for pick up.

Hi,

My unit has arrived at RV Wholesalers. I'm going to try and schedule pickup and PDI in about 10 days. I'll be driving from So Cal to Ohio next weekend if all goes well. The long wait is finally over.

I just have to round up some essentials for the trip. So I don't forget anything, does anyone have any thoughts on what I should take with me to travel 2300 miles to pickup a MH and get it back?

Will probably come home along route 66. If anyone has any campground recommendations it would be appreciated.

Scott
Old 10-04-2015, 12:55 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdgscott View Post
Hi,

My unit has arrived at RV Wholesalers. I'm going to try and schedule pickup and PDI in about 10 days. I'll be driving from So Cal to Ohio next weekend if all goes well. The long wait is finally over.

I just have to round up some essentials for the trip. So I don't forget anything, does anyone have any thoughts on what I should take with me to travel 2300 miles to pickup a MH and get it back?

Will probably come home along route 66. If anyone has any campground recommendations it would be appreciated.

Scott
We plan to do the same thing in about 3-4 months. We'll be going from Oregon to Ohio to pick up a 3051S at RV Wholesalers too.
I have been anticipating everything that we will need for the trip back and hope we can get it all in the PT Cruiser that will be our toad.

Try to visualize what you would need in a motorhome:

Towing equipment for the car (towbar,hitch, etc)
Kitchen utensils, etc. if you will be cooking and eating in.
Bedding, towels,
clothing, of course
set of hand tools...just in case
fire extinguisher, safety equipment, lantern or flashlight
personal items, toothpaste, shampoo etc.

We figure that we will be eating in restaurants on the way there and before we head back we'll hit a supermarket and stock up on food and other things like paper towels, paper plates etc.

I'm sure I've missed a few items but I keep thinking of more as time goes on.
Good luck, we'll be interested to know how your experiences were when you get back.
Toad: 2014 Honda CR-V AWD
GO DUCKS !!
Jim & Diana (and 3 cats)
JimOneil43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2015, 05:25 PM   #3

If you are up to changing a tire, take a jack, some 2X's to sit it on to spread the load on soft ground, a lug wrench and a long screwdriver to remove the wheel cover. Jacks and tire tools don't come with motorhomes. Chances are you won't need it, but it's your decision. The lugs are about 150 foot-pounds. You really need a lug wrench anyway because it's recommended to retorque the lug nuts after a few hundred miles, and my guess is that the delivery driver doesn't do it.

Ask your salesman if the refrigerator will be cold when you arrive. Otherwise, take a cooler for perishables for a while. Of course, if you get a good PDI they will have the refrigerator running so you can be sure it works okay.
RamblerGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2015, 07:56 PM   #4

Jim and Rambler,

Thanks for the input. I have started my list. Just have to find time this week to get it all.

Wife won't be making the trip, just me and my brother. So we won't need too many comforts.

I have levelers on the MH, can they be used to change a tire?

Does anyone carry an air impact wrench, or just a breaker bar?

I will take a small air compressor along.

Scott
Old 10-04-2015, 08:20 PM   #5

Some carry impact wrenches that run on 110 volts. Just start your generator. You'll need an extension cord.

I carry a 3/4 inch drive long breaker bar and socket. Need an extension to reach the lug nuts on the duals.

Getting the spare down is a chore, but that's why you're taking your brother. Good planning.
RamblerGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2015, 08:35 PM   #6

Rambler,

My brother laughed. I think we'll hit Harbor Freight tomorrow.

Thanks,

Scott
Old 10-04-2015, 09:28 PM   #7

Scott- I use a 1/2" torque wrench from HF along with an extension and a socket. But you have free roadside assistance from Ford along with FR's thru Coachnet for 1 year. I wouldn't bother getting the tools. Your RV insurance may even have RA.
Good luck and safe trip! and
2018 Camping 10 trips 38 nights
2019 Camping 6 trips 19 nights
2020 Camping 0 trips Cancellations 6
Sagecoachdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2015, 11:32 PM   #8

We didn't drive that far to pickup our 3051S, but it was 4 hours away. We asked the dealer to start the fridge 24-hrs before we got there so we wouldn't have to wait for the fridge to get cold before loading it up.

Plus for PDI we wanted to see it working and ice from the ice maker, too.

Make sure your tires are fully inflated and you have valve stem extensions installed so you can add air and check pressure, as well.

We camped in our RV at a CG 5 miles from the dealership the first night - in case we needed to go back there the next day.

Don't assume anything. You expect the dealer to do all sorts of prep and checking but the reality may be much different than that.
Old 10-05-2015, 09:18 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sagecoachdriver View Post
Scott- I use a 1/2" torque wrench from HF along with an extension and a socket. But you have free roadside assistance from Ford along with FR's thru Coachnet for 1 year. I wouldn't bother getting the tools. Your RV insurance may even have RA.
Good luck and safe trip! and
Good point about the road side assistance. I tend to not rely on anyone but for this it may be the easiest.

Scott
Old 10-05-2015, 09:21 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Creativepart View Post
We didn't drive that far to pickup our 3051S, but it was 4 hours away. We asked the dealer to start the fridge 24-hrs before we got there so we wouldn't have to wait for the fridge to get cold before loading it up.

Plus for PDI we wanted to see it working and ice from the ice maker, too.

Make sure your tires are fully inflated and you have valve stem extensions installed so you can add air and check pressure, as well.

We camped in our RV at a CG 5 miles from the dealership the first night - in case we needed to go back there the next day.

Don't assume anything. You expect the dealer to do all sorts of prep and checking but the reality may be much different than that.
There is a state park about a mile from RV Wholesalers and they recommend you spend at least one night to check things out. I will make sure things are as right as possible before bringing it home.

Thanks,

Scott
Old 10-06-2015, 08:07 PM   #11

Post pics once you get it!
Old blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 09:30 PM   #12

Have a safe trip!
Old 10-07-2015, 10:04 AM   #13

Thanks for the well wishes and I will take lots of pics.

Scott
Old 10-08-2015, 09:31 PM   #14

Congratulations on the new rig!
Im not sure if anyone else mentioned this but you might want to pick up a sewer hose, a water hose, a water pressure regulator, and another garden type hose to use on you black water tank flush fitting. Also a good truck type tire air gage is a valuable item for checking air pressure in both the tires and the air bags.
If RV Wholsalers has a camping store maybe they can give you a good break on these items the day you sign the papers.
bop11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2015, 10:48 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by bop11 View Post
Congratulations on the new rig!
Im not sure if anyone else mentioned this but you might want to pick up a sewer hose, a water hose, a water pressure regulator, and another garden type hose to use on you black water tank flush fitting. Also a good truck type tire air gage is a valuable item for checking air pressure in both the tires and the air bags.
If RV Wholsalers has a camping store maybe they can give you a good break on these items the day you sign the papers.
Bop11,

Thanks! I will pick up some stuff back in Ohio. The great thing about this forum is us newbies are able to learn from those that have been there and done that. I have quite a list of must haves to get once I get the unit.

Scott
Old 10-09-2015, 01:08 PM   #16

My dealer provided me with a Valterra kit with fresh water hose, regulator, higher grade sewer hose with clear elbow and connectors, samples of gel tabs for black tank and coupons. You might want to ask if they give you accessories.
Old 10-09-2015, 01:16 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sagecoachdriver View Post
My dealer provided me with a Valterra kit with fresh water hose, regulator, higher grade sewer hose with clear elbow and connectors, samples of gel tabs for black tank and coupons. You might want to ask if they give you accessories.
Sagecoach,

They do provide a kit. Not sure what's in it. That's just part of the adventure!

Leaving early tomorrow morning via the northern route through Denver. Staying with a friend outside Columbus Ohio Monday night and getting to RV Wholesalers at 9:30 Tuesday morning.

Second road trip in a couple weeks! Drove up to Laguna Seca in Monterey for the day to spectate at the Porsche Rennsport Reunion 2 weeks ago. It was fabulous if you are a Porsche fan.

Scott
Old 10-13-2015, 09:14 PM   #18

Well, Scott has probably picked up his Forester and hopefully on his way back to California. He said he was going to drive it around before heading home. Probably will be back here in LA by Friday or Saturday is my guess with stories to tell. Safe trip Scott!

Tags
forester