Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-04-2015, 10:21 AM   #1
Member
 
sdgscott's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Ventura County, California
Posts: 67
2016 Forester 2861DS ready for pick up.

Hi,

My unit has arrived at RV Wholesalers. I'm going to try and schedule pickup and PDI in about 10 days. I'll be driving from So Cal to Ohio next weekend if all goes well. The long wait is finally over.

I just have to round up some essentials for the trip. So I don't forget anything, does anyone have any thoughts on what I should take with me to travel 2300 miles to pickup a MH and get it back?

Will probably come home along route 66. If anyone has any campground recommendations it would be appreciated.

Scott
__________________

__________________
2016 Forester 2861DS
2006 Jeep Liberty
sdgscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2015, 12:55 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
JimOneil43's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Eugene, OR
Posts: 396
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdgscott View Post
Hi,

My unit has arrived at RV Wholesalers. I'm going to try and schedule pickup and PDI in about 10 days. I'll be driving from So Cal to Ohio next weekend if all goes well. The long wait is finally over.

I just have to round up some essentials for the trip. So I don't forget anything, does anyone have any thoughts on what I should take with me to travel 2300 miles to pickup a MH and get it back?

Will probably come home along route 66. If anyone has any campground recommendations it would be appreciated.

Scott
We plan to do the same thing in about 3-4 months. We'll be going from Oregon to Ohio to pick up a 3051S at RV Wholesalers too.
I have been anticipating everything that we will need for the trip back and hope we can get it all in the PT Cruiser that will be our toad.

Try to visualize what you would need in a motorhome:

Towing equipment for the car (towbar,hitch, etc)
Kitchen utensils, etc. if you will be cooking and eating in.
Bedding, towels,
clothing, of course
set of hand tools...just in case
fire extinguisher, safety equipment, lantern or flashlight
personal items, toothpaste, shampoo etc.

We figure that we will be eating in restaurants on the way there and before we head back we'll hit a supermarket and stock up on food and other things like paper towels, paper plates etc.

I'm sure I've missed a few items but I keep thinking of more as time goes on.
Good luck, we'll be interested to know how your experiences were when you get back.
__________________

__________________
Retired and loving it...Can't wait to get back on the road!
2017 Forester 3051S ("Farley")
Born April 18, 2016
Toad: 2014 Honda CR-V AWD
GO DUCKS !!
Jim & Diana (and 3 cats)
JimOneil43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2015, 05:25 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: South Carolina
Posts: 1,338
If you are up to changing a tire, take a jack, some 2X's to sit it on to spread the load on soft ground, a lug wrench and a long screwdriver to remove the wheel cover. Jacks and tire tools don't come with motorhomes. Chances are you won't need it, but it's your decision. The lugs are about 150 foot-pounds. You really need a lug wrench anyway because it's recommended to retorque the lug nuts after a few hundred miles, and my guess is that the delivery driver doesn't do it.

Ask your salesman if the refrigerator will be cold when you arrive. Otherwise, take a cooler for perishables for a while. Of course, if you get a good PDI they will have the refrigerator running so you can be sure it works okay.
__________________
RamblerGuy
2011 Sunseeker 3100
2016 Ford Edge Toad
RamblerGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2015, 07:56 PM   #4
Member
 
sdgscott's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Ventura County, California
Posts: 67
Jim and Rambler,

Thanks for the input. I have started my list. Just have to find time this week to get it all.

Wife won't be making the trip, just me and my brother. So we won't need too many comforts.

I have levelers on the MH, can they be used to change a tire?

Does anyone carry an air impact wrench, or just a breaker bar?

I will take a small air compressor along.

Scott
__________________
2016 Forester 2861DS
2006 Jeep Liberty
sdgscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2015, 08:20 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: South Carolina
Posts: 1,338
Some carry impact wrenches that run on 110 volts. Just start your generator. You'll need an extension cord.

I carry a 3/4 inch drive long breaker bar and socket. Need an extension to reach the lug nuts on the duals.

Getting the spare down is a chore, but that's why you're taking your brother. Good planning.
__________________
RamblerGuy
2011 Sunseeker 3100
2016 Ford Edge Toad
RamblerGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2015, 08:35 PM   #6
Member
 
sdgscott's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Ventura County, California
Posts: 67
Rambler,

My brother laughed. I think we'll hit Harbor Freight tomorrow.

Thanks,

Scott
__________________
2016 Forester 2861DS
2006 Jeep Liberty
sdgscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2015, 09:28 PM   #7
Senior Member
 
Sagecoachdriver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Southern California
Posts: 1,827
Scott- I use a 1/2" torque wrench from HF along with an extension and a socket. But you have free roadside assistance from Ford along with FR's thru Coachnet for 1 year. I wouldn't bother getting the tools. Your RV insurance may even have RA.
Good luck and safe trip! and
__________________
2004 Winnebago Minnie 22e(went to a nice family Oct 3, 2015)
2016 Forester 2701DS (Aug 31, 2015)
2017 Camping 12 trips 38 nights
2018 Camping 10 trips 38 nights
2019 Camping 6 trips 19 nights
Sagecoachdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2015, 11:32 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
Creativepart's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: South Texas
Posts: 526
We didn't drive that far to pickup our 3051S, but it was 4 hours away. We asked the dealer to start the fridge 24-hrs before we got there so we wouldn't have to wait for the fridge to get cold before loading it up.

Plus for PDI we wanted to see it working and ice from the ice maker, too.

Make sure your tires are fully inflated and you have valve stem extensions installed so you can add air and check pressure, as well.

We camped in our RV at a CG 5 miles from the dealership the first night - in case we needed to go back there the next day.

Don't assume anything. You expect the dealer to do all sorts of prep and checking but the reality may be much different than that.
__________________
2017 Winnebago Adventurer 37F
TOAD: 2016 Lincoln MKX
Creativepart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 09:18 AM   #9
Member
 
sdgscott's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Ventura County, California
Posts: 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sagecoachdriver View Post
Scott- I use a 1/2" torque wrench from HF along with an extension and a socket. But you have free roadside assistance from Ford along with FR's thru Coachnet for 1 year. I wouldn't bother getting the tools. Your RV insurance may even have RA.
Good luck and safe trip! and
Good point about the road side assistance. I tend to not rely on anyone but for this it may be the easiest.

Scott
__________________
2016 Forester 2861DS
2006 Jeep Liberty
sdgscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 09:21 AM   #10
Member
 
sdgscott's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Ventura County, California
Posts: 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by Creativepart View Post
We didn't drive that far to pickup our 3051S, but it was 4 hours away. We asked the dealer to start the fridge 24-hrs before we got there so we wouldn't have to wait for the fridge to get cold before loading it up.

Plus for PDI we wanted to see it working and ice from the ice maker, too.

Make sure your tires are fully inflated and you have valve stem extensions installed so you can add air and check pressure, as well.

We camped in our RV at a CG 5 miles from the dealership the first night - in case we needed to go back there the next day.

Don't assume anything. You expect the dealer to do all sorts of prep and checking but the reality may be much different than that.
There is a state park about a mile from RV Wholesalers and they recommend you spend at least one night to check things out. I will make sure things are as right as possible before bringing it home.

Thanks,

Scott
__________________

__________________
2016 Forester 2861DS
2006 Jeep Liberty
sdgscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
forester

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Forest River, Inc. or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.




Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:46 PM.