Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-23-2017, 08:11 PM   #1

Angry 2016 Forester 3051S, de-winterize ice maker

How do you go about de-winterizing the ice maker when it has been winterized using RV antifreeze?

Just got the RV back from having warranty work completed and they said they winterized the ice maker. Dang, it had never had water put through the system, but they still winterized it.
BIKERMHA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2017, 03:13 PM   #2
DW's 401(k) Plan

I don't know, but I'll be watching this thread for the answer!

"Sunny" the 2017 Sunseeker 3010DS
2006 Jeep Liberty Toad
.... and lovin' life........MOST of the time.
DaGrinch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2017, 07:32 PM   #3

Well, you only have one choice. Purge the lines with fresh water and make a lot of ice and throw it away. If you have a water dispenser, run as much as it takes to get clear water. Then you only have the anrifreeze that is in the 1/4 inch line to the icemaker. Should clear pretty fast.

Next time, use compressed air, purge the water dispenser, leave the reefer on overnight with the air attached. In the.morning, close the pop up valve on the reefer and use rv antifreeze for the pump, lines and traps. That way there is no antifreeze in the icemaker next spring.

2015 335DS
ScottBrownstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2017, 07:50 PM   #4
Chief tinkerer

Biker, we have an icemaker in our 2017 SunSeeker and the procedure should be similar. With pressure off, Open low point drains and all faucets for vents and drain out all the pink you can. Close when drained. Check the lines to the water solenoid valve under the outside fridge compartment door, in case they disconnected. There is also a push/pull cutoff valve under/behind the fridge accessed be removing a drawer or panel under or beside the fridge inside that they may have closed. The same process would be used for purging water with air to winterize and purging out the pink. With either process, the ice maker must cycle, which cycles the solenoid valve outside on the back of the refer and lets a premeasured amount of water through. You must have the battery on and fresh water from your tank or city connector. With the icemaker bail down, it will cycle on its own and eventuallly purge all the pink.... think "days". To speed this up, the end cover comes off the ice maker. A small thin slot screwdriver gently placed at the joint where the cover meets the ice maker body at the bottom will release the friction catch. Like the battery cover on your remote. Once the cover is off, you may find an instruction sheet inside the cover with the remaining steps like I did. If not, you will be looking at two plastic gears. The small one has a slight indentation where you can turn it with a small slot screwdriver. The big gear has a direction arrow. My small gear turned counterclockwise just about 1/4 inch and the very quiet very slow motor took over and kept the gear turning. As it completes it's rotation dumping the tray, the valve will open and the air, pink or water (whichever is connected) will come through the fill line filling the tray. In your case it sounds like you will get pink. Just keep doing this many many times until all the pink is out and keep flushing with water until you are satisfied with the taste. Yes, it will overflow, so you want a catch pan underneath. Someone else may chime in with a better way.

2017 SunSeeker 3010DS
Gidyupgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2017, 08:00 PM   #5
Chief tinkerer

Have a picture of the gears in another post. http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...d.php?t=122371

2017 SunSeeker 3010DS
Old 02-24-2017, 08:09 PM   #6
DW's 401(k) Plan

I figured you'd jump in here, Gary.

"Sunny" the 2017 Sunseeker 3010DS
2006 Jeep Liberty Toad
.... and lovin' life........MOST of the time.
DaGrinch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2017, 08:45 PM   #7
Chief tinkerer

Heh heh. Eager to help.

2017 SunSeeker 3010DS
Old 02-25-2017, 03:55 PM   #8
jkoenig24

I was NEVER able to get a straight answer from Dynamax as to I should winterize ~ de-winterize the residential three door, two icemaker refrigerator that was OEM in my DX3-37RB. I was told to "check online" for their video. Their video ONLY covers RV style refrigerators, NOT residential models. I've used both compressed air and the pink RV antifreeze but, with the residential fridge, residential washer and two macerating toilets, I'm really just "winging it" when it comes to winterizing. So far, I've been lucky. The "User's Manual" that came with my DX3 was a joke. VERY little of the information applied to the model I bought.
jkoenig24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2017, 04:21 PM   #9

Well, you see. Most people don't winterize refrigerators! I opted for the overnight icemaker cycle since I really didn't want to get into the icemaker and force it to cycle. Just leave the compressed air on the unit and it will "make ice all night" and blow out the lines.

2015 335DS
ScottBrownstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2017, 07:22 PM   #10
Chief tinkerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gidyupgo View Post
Heh heh. Eager to help.

Click image for larger version

Name:	DBAA9A39-A332-4B20-8FB2-4A7B858ABA15.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	241.4 KB
ID:	130652