Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-27-2018, 10:00 AM   #1

2017 Sunseeker 3050S Furnace Issue

Getting ready to head out to AZ and cold weather is coming. This morning the furnace (Suburban SF-30F) doesn't want to come on and heat. Yesterday and last night it was working great, but not this morning. I turned off the thermostat, then turned off the power to the RV and next turned them both on. The furnace came on, ran, and heated, but after a short while it was blowing cool air and then shut off. I have propane, am connected to shore power and all systems should be go, BUT still have this problem. Has anyone had this happen and if so, did you solve it and how? Any help would be appreciated.
iolabob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2018, 11:51 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by iolabob View Post
Getting ready to head out to AZ and cold weather is coming. This morning the furnace (Suburban SF-30F) doesn't want to come on and heat. Yesterday and last night it was working great, but not this morning. I turned off the thermostat, then turned off the power to the RV and next turned them both on. The furnace came on, ran, and heated, but after a short while it was blowing cool air and then shut off. I have propane, am connected to shore power and all systems should be go, BUT still have this problem. Has anyone had this happen and if so, did you solve it and how? Any help would be appreciated.
Did you try lighting the stove to see if it's getting propane? I had an issue with my propane tank having moisture in it and when the outside temperature dropped below 40 degrees it would freeze up the regulator. I would then have to go outside in the freezing cold and pour warm water on the regulator cover. Final solution was to have the tank correctly purged and methanol injected into the tank.
2018 Camping 10 trips 38 nights
2019 Camping 6 trips 19 nights
2020 Camping 0 trips Cancellations 6
Sagecoachdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2018, 03:11 PM   #3

We’ve been staying in our 2801 in the backyard over the holidays with company in town. Temps have been around 10F, I’ve been using the extend-a-tank with a 20lb bottle.
But this morning when I changed tanks the regulator was stuck on low flow. You can tell by lighting a stove burner it is enough to light one burner at about medium but not enough to light the furnace. You can hear the igniter fire and a little poof as it tries to light. It will try a couple times and then quit.
Last time it happened I changed the regulator but this morning I poured a gallon of hot water on the regulator and it reset and the furnace is working again.
Tombsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2018, 04:45 PM   #4

2017 Sunseeker 3050S Furnace Issue

Thank you for the replies and suggestions. After the hiccup this morning, it appears to be working as it should, BUT still can't understand what caused it. I did light a burner on the stove and checked the amount of propane in the tank. I guess the regulator is attached to the built in propane tank, but have never tried to remove the plastic cover to see what there is to see. I've now got it connected to 30 amp shore power and therefore can use the heat pump or ceramic heaters if needed. Hopefully it will keep working.

We purchased an extended service/warranty, but when something like this happens, what do you do. Having had a television issue last winter in Arizona, one better not expect to get much done. I called a couple of Forest River dealers and their first question was "did you buy it from us". When I said no, my dealer is in Missouri, their reply was "it would be at least a couple of months before we could consider looking at it". Lot of good that does. Anyone had experiences along this line?
iolabob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2018, 04:51 PM   #5
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Sometimes regulators can freeze (internally) in low temps because of an improperly purged LP tank on initial fill so that is a possibility even with motorhomes.

Regulators can go bad, even new ones.

If it happens again, try lighting all 3-4 burners on the stove and try to light the furnace and observe the stove flame, I bet it is very low.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=86
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2018, 06:21 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5picker View Post
Sometimes regulators can freeze (internally) in low temps because of an improperly purged LP tank on initial fill so that is a possibility even with motorhomes.

Regulators can go bad, even new ones.

If it happens again, try lighting all 3-4 burners on the stove and try to light the furnace and observe the stove flame, I bet it is very low.
This is what I was saying in my previous post. if it's working now when the temperature rises, I would try pouring warm water on the grey cover of the regulator next time it gets really cold an the furnace won't light. Wait a minute and try the furnace again. I had to change out my propane regulator as it was full of white gooey gunk from the freezing of the water vapor.
Old 12-27-2018, 06:25 PM   #7

Quote:
Thank you for the replies and suggestions. After the hiccup this morning, it appears to be working as it should, BUT still can't understand what caused it. I did light a burner on the stove and checked the amount of propane in the tank. I guess the regulator is attached to the built in propane tank, but have never tried to remove the plastic cover to see what there is to see. I've now got it connected to 30 amp shore power and therefore can use the heat pump or ceramic heaters if needed. Hopefully it will keep working.

We purchased an extended service/warranty, but when something like this happens, what do you do. Having had a television issue last winter in Arizona, one better not expect to get much done. I called a couple of Forest River dealers and their first question was "did you buy it from us". When I said no, my dealer is in Missouri, their reply was "it would be at least a couple of months before we could consider looking at it". Lot of good that does. Anyone had experiences along this line?
With my extended warranty when traveling I call a mobile RV tec and just make sure they deal with that warranty company. I have never had a problem with a repair on the road
Dcbenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2018, 06:42 PM   #8
Site Team

Quote:
You must be new to RV ownership or RV forums.
It's actually more common than not.
The internet has thousands and thousands of forum threads about this, no matter the RV manufacturer.
Don't know what 3rd party extended warranty you have but I would contact them about where to take it.
Or if you can use an independent RV shop or mobile RV tech, as long as you get pre-approval from them. It may require you being reimbursed.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2018, 01:03 PM   #9

Common problem. Ask me!! Were from cold weather country in Canada and has happened numerous times. 99 % of time the regulator freezes up. You were right on warming it up with hot water. Insulating the regulator will help you out if you are subject to colder temps . Drive safe and enjoy AZ. Were on our way down too.

Kim & Randy Holmes
2016 F350 Turbo Diesel FX4
2014 Palomino Sabre 33 CKTS
(2012: 10); (2013: 17); (2014: 33); (2015: 43);
(2016: 37); (2017: 69); (2018: 90); (2019: 109); (2020: 110)
kholmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2018, 01:58 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by kholmes View Post
Common problem. Ask me!! Were from cold weather country in Canada and has happened numerous times. 99 % of time the regulator freezes up. You were right on warming it up with hot water. Insulating the regulator will help you out if you are subject to colder temps . Drive safe and enjoy AZ. Were on our way down too.
There is a permanent fix. As I mentioned in my prior post, I had methanol injected into my tank in my old Winnebago class C by a big propane dealer north of Fresno on my way to Yosemite. They had a special adapter to inject it, and that solved the problem forever. I had called my Winnebago dealer about the freezing regulator and they said can't happen as the tank comes purged from the manufacturer. I called Manchester tank, the tank manufacturer and they said, No the tank must be purged by the dealer prior to first filling. I called all over southern California and no propane dealer had the injector. Found only the one on the way half way up into the Seirras. I think it cost $15.

Tags
305, 3050s, furnace, sunseeker