Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-13-2019, 12:54 PM   #1

2018 Forester 3011 DS Front end alignment

Ok so I am starting on my trek to get my 2018 Forester 3011DS on an E-450 chassis to drive in a way that doesn't cause me to white knuckle it.

I have already added front and rear stabilizer as well as steering stabilizer.

I am next (April 1st) taking it in for a front end alignment (+6 caster) as well as having Koni FSD shocks put on.

Will they be able to adjust the caster on the stock front end or will some additional parts be needed?

BTW I am having a Liquid Springs rear suspension upgrade done later in April.
mparus1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 01:21 PM   #2

Ford ships these E Series with fixed non adjustable caster/camber bushings. You will need adjustable bushings such as MOOG K8986 or NAPA 158986 or SPC 794. These are all the same as the original Ingalls 594s which have been taken over by Dorman Products.

Your selected alignment shop should know all about these bushings otherwise be cautious of the famous "tweak the toe and you are good to go" type of alignment.
Harvard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 07:28 PM   #3
Chief tinkerer

mparus1, we did the same and a trac bar on the rear end to stop the side to side steering wheel sawing. You will be glad you did.

2017 SunSeeker 3010DS
Gidyupgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 09:08 AM   #4
Site Team

I had a front end alignment done on our 2500 and it required installing the adjustable camber bushings. I was well out of specs on both caster and camber and had a nice tilted steering wheel when it delivered... FR reimbursed me about $250 for the alignment and required parts.

I also had all the wheels re-balanced, the fronts while on the vehicle, since I also added new one piece steel valve stems from Dually Valves. I paid about $100 for that work.

Then I went out to the Safety-T-Plus plant and had a steering stabilizer installed and adjusted for about $500. Now it doesn't feel anything like the RV I was driving when it was first delivered. It was well worth the time and money to have the work done.

Please let us know how the Liquid Springs rear suspension works out. I've read about their product and would to hear first hand if it is worth the cost.
RedLdr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 09:11 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedLdr1 View Post
I had a front end alignment done on our 2500 and it required installing the adjustable camber bushings. I was well out of specs on both caster and camber and had a nice tilted steering wheel when it delivered... FR reimbursed me about $250 for the alignment and required parts.

I also had all the wheels re-balanced, the fronts while on the vehicle, since I also added new one piece steel valve stems from Dually Valves. I paid about $100 for that work.

Then I went out to the Safety-T-Plus plant and had a steering stabilizer installed and adjusted for about $500. Now it doesn't feel anything like the RV I was driving when it was first delivered. It was well worth the time and money to have the work done.

Please let us know how the Liquid Springs rear suspension works out. I've read about their product and would to hear first hand if it is worth the cost.
I will update on the day I pick it up from the LiquidSprings upgrade - the shop doing it is 4 hours from my house - Factory Install.
Old 03-14-2019, 11:12 AM   #6
DW's 401(k) Plan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gidyupgo View Post
mparus1, we did the same and a trac bar on the rear end to stop the side to side steering wheel sawing. You will be glad you did.
Yeah, ^^^^^^ what he said! I did the same and it's a world of difference! [emoji106]

"Sunny" the 2017 Sunseeker 3010DS
2006 Jeep Liberty Toad
.... and lovin' life........MOST of the time.
DaGrinch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 03:45 PM   #7

not a reply

Just wondering, I have made one maiden voyage and have not noticed any problems in the steering or ride. A bit noisy in the couch but it was expected. So, what can you tell me about what to look for in driving to make the changes you are speaking about. Rather have a PM instead of the forum reply's.

Gary
SQROOT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 03:46 PM   #8

forgot

It is a 3010DS 2018 sunseeker.
SQROOT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 07:47 PM   #9

We have liquid springs on the rescue truck at the FD and it was a big difference. Can’t wait to hear how it does for the Ford rv!!
Toytec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 09:11 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by mparus1 View Post
Ok so I am starting on my trek to get my 2018 Forester 3011DS on an E-450 chassis to drive in a way that doesn't cause me to white knuckle it.

I have already added front and rear stabilizer as well as steering stabilizer.

I am next (April 1st) taking it in for a front end alignment (+6 caster) as well as having Koni FSD shocks put on.

Will they be able to adjust the caster on the stock front end or will some additional parts be needed?

BTW I am having a Liquid Springs rear suspension upgrade done later in April.
Wow. Liquid Spring. Didn't know they make them for C's. I saw them last year at a FMCA Rally. Pretty impressive but very expensive. $10,000 - $15,000 for A's. Are they that expensive for C's? I think they were only doing the install in Indiana at that time if I recall correctly. Have they set up any other locations for installation? Sorry didn't want change the direction of the thread, but this is the first time I've seen anything about Liquid Spring in relation to Class C's.
Edrps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 03:31 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaGrinch View Post
Yeah, ^^^^^^ what he said! I did the same and it's a world of difference! [emoji106]
What rear track bar are you guys installing?
Azzy1016 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 08:51 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azzy1016 View Post
I have a SS450 coming from Henderson. Seems pretty straight forward to install. I have a Blue Ox steering stabilizer I'm thinking about replacing it with a Safety - plus stabilizer. I'll put the trac bar on first and make that decision after putting a few miles on it.
Old 03-19-2019, 11:29 AM   #13
DW's 401(k) Plan

I'll have to get the complete number later, but my trac bar came from Blue Ox, I believe.

2006 Jeep Liberty Toad
Old 03-19-2019, 12:52 PM   #14

Liquid Sprinhs

Check their website - lots of vehicles it is available for and a list of dealers it is available from. It is pretty pricey but again Mu plan is that my Son will have to sell this thing as part of my estate which I am hoping is decades away!
Old 05-11-2019, 05:48 AM   #15
DW's 401(k) Plan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azzy1016 View Post
Sorry it's been awhile since I stated I would find the model number for the trac bar.... it is a Blue Ox TT2450. Ordered from Amazon but sold by RVSupplies. About $500. I see it's up to around $575 now.

2006 Jeep Liberty Toad
Old 05-11-2019, 06:02 AM   #16
DW's 401(k) Plan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harvard View Post
Ford ships these E Series with fixed non adjustable caster/camber bushings. You will need adjustable bushings such as MOOG K8986 or NAPA 158986 or SPC 794. These are all the same as the original Ingalls 594s which have been taken over by Dorman Products.

Your selected alignment shop should know all about these bushings otherwise be cautious of the famous "tweak the toe and you are good to go" type of alignment.
Well, I guess it depends on how far out your front end is and what you plan on doing if you want to get the adjustable bushings. I bought the adj. bushings (NAPA2643950 $43.31 ea) and dropped my 3010DS at my mechanic's place Sunday evening. He called me Monday morning and advised it would be best if I talked to the person actually doing the alignment and the adj. bushings might not be needed. So, I stopped and talked to the alignment person on Wednesday, he said he'd prefer not using the adjustables. He could do a better job with the specs I had (posted by BCLEMENS in a different thread) with non-adjustable bushings and it would be cheaper. Soooo... took the Sunseeker down yesterday and had the alignment done for a grand total of $142. $125 for the alignment, the rest was the bushing the tech used to bring the front end into the specs I wanted.

I figure he saved me over $75 this way. I did notice the drive-ability was better as I came home. Peace of mind is worth everything I've done. I'm now ready for my trip to Illinois next month!

2006 Jeep Liberty Toad
Old 05-11-2019, 09:23 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edrps View Post
I have a SS450 coming from Henderson. Seems pretty straight forward to install. I have a Blue Ox steering stabilizer I'm thinking about replacing it with a Safety - plus stabilizer. I'll put the trac bar on first and make that decision after putting a few miles on it.
I've been on the road about a month now with the Henderson Tracbar. About a 1000 miles. All I can say is WOW! I know now what people mean when they say I don't know there's a tow vehicle back there. No more tail wagging the dog, no more bad wind or semi push while towing. It handles now just like it did with no toad in tow. Pretty easy install also. Did it myself. Only conched my head a couple times. Great product from The Henderson Lineup. Free freight from Oregon to Georgia. 👍
Old 05-11-2019, 10:40 AM   #18
DW's 401(k) Plan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edrps View Post
I've been on the road about a month now with the Henderson Tracbar. About a 1000 miles. All I can say is WOW! I know now what people mean when they say I don't know there's a tow vehicle back there. No more tail wagging the dog, no more bad wind or semi push while towing. It handles now just like it did with no toad in tow. Pretty easy install also. Did it myself. Only conched my head a couple times. Great product from The Henderson Lineup. Free freight from Oregon to Georgia. [emoji106]
Trac bar makes a world of difference, doesn't it?

2006 Jeep Liberty Toad
Old 06-17-2019, 01:27 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaGrinch View Post
Trac bar makes a world of difference, doesn't it?
We purchased from RVAutoparts SS-450 track bar, about $500.00, including shipping. Fairly straight forward installation, about 2 hours.

What a HUGE DIFFERENCE!! Highly recommended!

Take Care;

Brian French
2019 Forester 3011ds
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	AF29F951-04A7-4BD6-9C39-406410071562.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	324.7 KB
ID:	207592   Click image for larger version

Name:	52CF09B1-CA36-4320-9D94-7A4A0370C459.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	272.9 KB
ID:	207593  
Brianfrench65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2019, 06:36 PM   #20
DaLexusGuy

Track Bar - good, Pricing - Ridiculous

I am interested in buying a rear track bar for my 2018 Forester 2801QS (30ft). class C.

And, I am usually pretty good at finding the lowest pricing on any given product because, of course, I always want to pay as little as possible when the exact same product and part number is sold by various vendors.

In this case, after an exhaustive search, the best I could find was $500.00. Apparently not enough competition in the marketplace.

So nope, not going to pay that for a strategically bent metal rod and a couple brackets. Nope. "Not gunna do it...wouldn't be prudent".

LeoS is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
alignment, forester