Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-04-2016, 12:26 PM   #41
Air Force Retiree

Dinnette Modification.

Love your dinette replacement. I been considering getting rid of mine also when I came across this site. It is just what I been looking for. A question. What was the distance from your cabinet to the bulkhead behind the drivers seat once the dinette was removed? Any other info you could give me would be helpful also. I have a Sunseeker 3050s
Retired Air Force is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2016, 05:02 PM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retired Air Force View Post
Love your dinette replacement. I been considering getting rid of mine also when I came across this site. It is just what I been looking for. A question. What was the distance from your cabinet to the bulkhead behind the drivers seat once the dinette was removed? Any other info you could give me would be helpful also. I have a Sunseeker 3050s

Thanks.

Here were the dimensions...

Dinette was 68"
Wardrobe to cab wall- 73"

Ask away any Q's.If your dinette is in a slide- Would be considerably different.
Old 03-05-2016, 07:44 AM   #43

After taking a closer look @ our Sunseeker 2500TS,,, I have decided I would not be able to remove dinette,,, ours is in a slide,,, with a long outside storage compartment that sits under the dinette !!! What a bummer !!! I had even found a Sofa Bed on the internet that we were going to go look at !!!
Wolverine 1945 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2016, 12:51 PM   #44
Sunseeker 2400MBW

Total Loss, this is Beautiful!! I love it.
One thing we don't like about our Sunseeker MBS 2400w is the dinette. The driving is great, the kitchen, bed, bathroom is all good. Just being in it is not so great. We are only 5'5" and 5'4" and it's too narrow for us to sit for very long.
The slide itself is pretty narrow so we would have to really search for a replacement. Personally, I want to leave it made into a bed, make a sofa-looking-fitted-sheet of upholstery fabric, pile it with pillows and lounge. I'm a good lounger, but my husband likes the table.

PS You do realize you voided your warranty? "cue scary music"!
Old 08-21-2016, 07:12 PM   #45
2012 Solera

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancyc7 View Post
Total Loss, this is Beautiful!! I love it.
One thing we don't like about our Sunseeker MBS 2400w is the dinette. The driving is great, the kitchen, bed, bathroom is all good. Just being in it is not so great. We are only 5'5" and 5'4" and it's too narrow for us to sit for very long.
The slide itself is pretty narrow so we would have to really search for a replacement. Personally, I want to leave it made into a bed, make a sofa-looking-fitted-sheet of upholstery fabric, pile it with pillows and lounge. I'm a good lounger, but my husband likes the table!
We took out the dinette seat back cushions and replaced with thin pads (1/4 inch plywood covered with thin carpeting). Made the dinette much more useable.
JLeising is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2016, 01:10 PM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLeising View Post
We took out the dinette seat back cushions and replaced with thin pads (1/4 inch plywood covered with thin carpeting). Made the dinette much more useable.
The very first mod we made was to have the dinette seat back cushions cut down by 50% to make the dinette more roomy. The upholstery company used new more supportive foam that was 3" thick to replace the OEM cheap foam that was 6" thick. The final thickness is closer to 2 1/2" as it compresses the foam some.

We did save the original foam but I'm not sure why. However, we had them use the original cushion covering fabric and just cut it down to fit. They did a great job and we think it's much better than original.

Looking at new 3051s Foresters I can see that they've reduced the foam thickness by ~50% on both the seat backs and the seat cushions.

Here's a photo of the finished product - we left the seat bottom cushion stock.
Attached Images

Old 08-22-2016, 04:30 PM   #47

I had a foam company make angled back cushions for us. I bought the upholstery to match our existing from the company in Indiana that made the original material. It really transformed the dinette for us. It does not look like a big change, but it is! It is more comfortable for sitting conventionally, and also when lounging longways.

Old 09-24-2016, 01:19 PM   #48

Guys I would like to replace my pull out couch with these chairs, Instead of the Dinette. The Opening where the couch sits is a slide out that is 70 1/2 inches wide. The couch is slightly smaller. Are you happy with the chairs and do you think it is feasible for me to replace the couch with these chairs given the space?
3.5L EcoBoost (12,200 Towing Capacity)

mcmartinez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2016, 07:37 AM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Creativepart View Post
The very first mod we made was to have the dinette seat back cushions cut down by 50% to make the dinette more roomy. The upholstery company used new more supportive foam that was 3" thick to replace the OEM cheap foam that was 6" thick. The final thickness is closer to 2 1/2" as it compresses the foam some.

We did save the original foam but I'm not sure why. However, we had them use the original cushion covering fabric and just cut it down to fit. They did a great job and we think it's much better than original.

Looking at new 3051s Foresters I can see that they've reduced the foam thickness by ~50% on both the seat backs and the seat cushions.

Here's a photo of the finished product - we left the seat bottom cushion stock.
I am guessing you never plan to use that as a bed ???
Old 09-25-2016, 10:25 AM   #50
2012 Solera

Dinette seat back mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolverine 1945 View Post
I am guessing you never plan to use that as a bed ???
As stated above, I made new thin backs with 1/4 inch plywood and padding. I store the originals in the front edge of the cab over area. Fit nicely up there. Available should we want the dinette converted to a bed. Otherwise "out of the way".
JLeising is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2016, 05:20 AM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLeising View Post
As stated above, I made new thin backs with 1/4 inch plywood and padding. I store the originals in the front edge of the cab over area. Fit nicely up there. Available should we want the dinette converted to a bed. Otherwise "out of the way".
Sorry I guess I missed that,,, someone said they had saved left over foam,,, but did not know why !!!
Old 09-26-2016, 10:21 AM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcmartinez View Post
Guys I would like to replace my pull out couch with these chairs, Instead of the Dinette. The Opening where the couch sits is a slide out that is 70 1/2 inches wide. The couch is slightly smaller. Are you happy with the chairs and do you think it is feasible for me to replace the couch with these chairs given the space?
Check the depth of the couch and the rise of the slide floor.
If you pull the couch and replace with chairs, your area of where you would rest your feet may be compromised with the slide threshold.
My floor is flat- no slideout so any transition is easy.
Old 10-06-2016, 09:56 PM   #53

Looks great. I have a 2007 Rockwood Ultra Lite 2304S with a slide that contains a funky, and totally uncomfortable folding mini couch bed thing that I would like to replace with 2 small recliners. The problem is that the couch thing sits on a box that is about 12 inches above the floor. The slide support retraction rail is at that height too. As is, if I remove the couch the floor level for the slide will be 12 in. higher than trailer. That means the seat height of the recliners would be about 30 inches, a bit too much of a jump. I guess I am looking for a modification of the mechanism that would lower the floor level of the slide closer to the level of the trailer floor.
billby06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2016, 07:03 AM   #54

The trick for us to be comfortable,,, is a way to get our feet up !!! Footstools or coffee table or something !!!
Old 10-11-2016, 05:28 AM   #55

Our 22' has the wrap around dinette in the slide. To make it feel more comfortable for lounging we remove the table and pole, and place an ottoman that is close to the seat height in that space to stretch our legs out while watching TV.

2016 Forester 2291S Class C
2016 Jeep Wrangler
ToniandSal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2016, 10:02 AM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToniandSal View Post
Our 22' has the wrap around dinette in the slide. To make it feel more comfortable for lounging we remove the table and pole, and place an ottoman that is close to the seat height in that space to stretch our legs out while watching TV.

2016 Forester 2291S Class C
2016 Jeep Wrangler
We were doing that,,, until we found the ottoman work pretty well siting on the floor in front of the raised slide floor,,, so we still are able to use table !!!
Old 11-05-2016, 11:45 AM   #57

Just bought our 2251, 2014 model. Had done the same mod in our Lazy Daze, and planned on doing the same, before we bought the rig. On mine, the generator is below that area, am I going to be able to access the seatbelt bolts, or will I have to drop the generator ?
Toyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2016, 01:18 PM   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman View Post
Just bought our 2251, 2014 model. Had done the same mod in our Lazy Daze, and planned on doing the same, before we bought the rig. On mine, the generator is below that area, am I going to be able to access the seatbelt bolts, or will I have to drop the generator ?
I did something similar on our 2251SLE. The 2 seat belt bolts on the wall side are accessed inside the long bin next to the generator on mine. The other two bolts are under the frame just inside the bin.
Kyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2016, 11:16 AM   #59

You can get to them.
Not easy though.
Unfortunately they leave big holes.
Old 11-07-2016, 06:47 PM   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by Total Loss View Post
You can get to them.
Not easy though.
Unfortunately they leave big holes.
I used some short pan head bolts and caulked them in to plug the holes. I had planned to put the dinette back in when I sell the RV. I didn't find the bolts very difficult to remove if you don't mind crawling under the RV. Use a mirror if needed to see the ones in the top of the bin. I did it by feel with a ratchet and 6 inch extension.
Kyfan is offline   Reply With Quote