Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-10-2016, 08:58 AM   #61

Received my chairs yesterday (MH still at dealer) nice, compact chairs. But as someone earlier pointed out, they don't sit up straight enough for some. Looking at dropping the front bracket down an inch or so. Also remove the spacer.
Toyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2016, 10:51 AM   #62

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman View Post
Received my chairs yesterday (MH still at dealer) nice, compact chairs. But as someone earlier pointed out, they don't sit up straight enough for some. Looking at dropping the front bracket down an inch or so. Also remove the spacer.
I spaced mine also- about an inch in the rear to make them a little more upright.
Tough to get recliners that sit up.
We use a pillow when we eat dinner at the table.
Old 04-05-2018, 05:21 PM   #63

Saved this link, and am finally doing the same.

Notes: The chairs have some "stops" you can remove to make the back go more upright. Made a 2 inch difference in the length of the chair (stowed position). In my case, the chairs are 33 inches stowed, with 6 to 8 inches between.

Going to use the stock table for now, with the pole cut down. May add another under table mount, so the table can be used long ways, closer to the wall, for one person to sit at.

Using some easier to remove clips for the seat backs, so they can be folded down and stacked for night storage, or to move them outside (when using carefree BV room).

On purchase a year ago, we took out the front half of the dinette, to make room for one of our dogs. The other dog is in the space just before the step up to the bedroom, or on a platform over the entry step hole.

With the removal of all of the dinette, we are doubling the aisle space, and the dog beds can fit while leaving a path past them.

We also have swivels for the cab seats, and extra folding chairs, so we can sit 6 inside easily.

I will be reworking the seat belt mounts. I want a belt for the chair base, and one to the seat, for the rear seat, and same for the front seat. Will also be able to stack and strap them, folded, if we do not need the seat(s) for travel.

DW was concerned about the safety, until I showed her the construction of the benches... The chairs have a lower CG, and are stronger, and the belts will not be able to rip through the plywood. (Remember, the seat belts in the back of a class C do not have to meet federal standards... and are not required, other than RVIA's preference to have one belt per sleeping position, which our model does not even meet... Even in nanny CA, it is allowed to be sans seat belt if the vehicle is not required to have them in the seating position.) We may actually have DD ride in the rear facing seat, since the seat back will better protect her in a frontal collision, which is why I need to mount a seat belt for that position.

Will also likely create some sort of wainscoting effect, topped by a chair rail, on the pantry wall and below the window.

If we are ever blessed with grand babies (instead of grand pets), and still have this unit, we can use the belts to strap a child seat, maybe adding a top tether, the whole "dinette" area could be used as needed. Would be safer, to me, than what is in the stock dinette... having the car seat strapped solidly to the floor. Our plan is to have a Dynamax come 2024, when we can leave our SB to one of our kids, or sell it outright.

Just one family's opinion...
Old 04-05-2018, 05:26 PM   #64

We've got our new theater seating waiting to be installed, the recliners currently in the SS are going to the Buckeye man cave . We'll post pics when done .
Old 04-11-2018, 01:06 PM   #65

Update. Chairs are in. Using the standard size (not XL). Weight limit on the instructions is 220.

Used some pergo brand caulk "filler" to fill the holes on the wall, since the filler is a close color match. Mixed in a little brown crayon shavings and you cannot see the holes without a bright light.

On the floor, massaged the vinyl to make the area as flat as possible. Used colored filler to keep water from getting to the wood.

For the seat belt bolts. The inner set, for now, have carriage bolts in the holes. Will use black body plugs when I dig some out, and suggest to be sure to fill the hole with good sealer. The bolts I am using for belts, I cut them down to avoid them hitting the wood part of the chair. Will make some sort of spacer (2x4 or 2x6) to sit over the bolts and nuts, to keep the seat from sliding back against the wall during travel - since a tight seat belt will pull back. Want the bottom braced, since the top will rest against the closet. With that bracing, I am not going to separately anchor the chair.

For the reward facing chair, I will be drilling and adding seat belt bolts. The holes can be hidden by the dinette, should we ever put one back in. For now, I will fold it down and strap it down for travel.

Found some easy to use pins for the seat back to seat base, the kind with the circle that folds over to lock. Allows me to quickly fold down the chairs for use outside, or to stack for more floor space.

Used some nearly matching quarter round for the window wall to floor.

I too removed the staples around the seat belt holes. I am not going to heat the vinyl to smooth it out, time should get that done (the front half of our dinette came out soon after purchase, and the floor no longer shows the dents).

Table(s). Playing around with cardboard templates to see what we want. The stock pole means you cannot enter or exit the rear chair when the chair is facing directly forward. So, for travel, a wall mounted shelf with cup holder is a must for us.
Old 04-12-2018, 09:02 AM   #66

Good idea on using the shaft pins on the seat backs, thanks!
Toyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2018, 07:42 PM   #67

Duh... after living with the space, and deciding on the side2 for the table and wall "shelf", my FIL said the wine barrel in our garage (waiting for disassembly to reuse) has perfectly sized heads. He had noticed the lazy Susan in our house made from a barrel head...

For the wall shelf, I will take off part of the head to make the flat side, just a bit bigger than half size.

Funny I did not think of it first, since I have lived in wine country for decades.
Old 05-14-2018, 04:22 PM   #68
Empty Nesters

I decided to do this mod on my Sunseeker 2250 but with using this reclining loveseat:

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Dp26...do we get to see any pictures of your mod?

For those of you that have taken out the dinette, how long did it take you to do the basic removal of the dinette?

I just ordered the loveseat so might start the work this weekend.
Old 05-14-2018, 04:34 PM   #69

Forward half was quick, 15 minutes maybe (been a long time since I took it out). Rear seat took a bit because of the seatbelt mounts, maybe an hour.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20180511_180312.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	337.5 KB
ID:	171834   Click image for larger version

Name:	20180511_180233.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	299.1 KB
ID:	171835  
Dp26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2018, 05:20 PM   #70
Empty Nesters

That looks great. I am going to try to figure out if I can still have some type of table if I use the reclining loveseat to use to play Yahtzee and games while we are sitting upright. (And eating)

I bet you really enjoy the extra floor space!
Old 05-14-2018, 06:34 PM   #71

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenandCarol View Post
That looks great. I am going to try to figure out if I can still have some type of table if I use the reclining loveseat to use to play Yahtzee and games while we are sitting upright. (And eating)

I bet you really enjoy the extra floor space!
With your lounge being narrower (by just over a foot if the AMZ description is accurate) than the dinette, I would probably get the smallest surface table bases I could, and mount "end tables". If the table top mount is offset, they may swivel right into your lap as needed.

We used a broomstick sized dowel and cardboard to experiment with table orientation, height, and movement.

Since you will be gaining, in non reclined mode, 5 or 6 inches in the "hall", there may be enough room to add a small surface mount base centered on the lounge, as close to the lounge as you can, with a usable sized table to share. By keeping the base close to the lounge, it will be less of a stumble protrusion...

Our floor space is doubled, at least for the "aisle", when the chairs are directly forward or backward. When in use, roughly as shown in the image, the floor space is still more than stock. Since we can stack the chairs, at night, the dog beds have more room than before, which was one next to the pantry we had to always step over, and one where the front half of the dinette was. No matter where the dogs are, we now have an actual usable walking space.

At night, or while moving, we use a "platform" over the step hole, where a dog bed/crate can ride.

We also have added a carefree BV "room" for the awning, which makes a huge livability difference (another reason for the chairs, since they can be carried outside).

To be clear, we have zero complaints about the floor plan. We had to limit length to fit in our current driveway, which left us with choosing a dinette slide or a bedroom slide, and went with the bedroom, knowing we would be taking out the dinette. (We did look at the little ACE A, but prefer the driver/pass area safety of the C, and the huge towing and CCC of our sized unit on the E450.)
Old 05-14-2018, 09:00 PM   #72
Empty Nesters

We love our 2250 and it is just right for the two of us and the dog. Speaking of dogs...at night our floor is taken up with dog beds. For travel we have a collapsible tube crate.

We were in it for 14 days straight and I could have continued on like that.Click image for larger version

Name:	4549.jpeg
Views:	90
Size:	94.6 KB
ID:	171877Click image for larger version

Name:	4525.jpeg
Views:	99
Size:	106.9 KB
ID:	171878
Old 05-15-2018, 09:07 AM   #73

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dp26 View Post
Forward half was quick, 15 minutes maybe (been a long time since I took it out). Rear seat took a bit because of the seatbelt mounts, maybe an hour.
Looks almost identical to my setup. My table may be a little larger. The offset table mount works great, doesn't it?

Nice job !
Old 05-15-2018, 11:19 PM   #74

Absolutely. Thank you for the idea. Mocking up with cardboard and folding chairs was the selling point to DW.

The barrel heads are 23" dia. Just over a half for the wall, based on size preference of just enough foe toaster and keurig.
Old 05-17-2018, 10:31 AM   #75
Empty Nesters

Started my modification

I started the removal of the dinette last night after work on my Sunseeker 2250. I got the forward bench out, I had to take the screen door off to get it out the door. I just started on the back bench. I found that the electrical outlet was on the same breaker as the refrigerator and it is in use so I had to jumper the wires together until I can get the outlet installed and wired. You guys are right, the seat belt holding structure is pretty beefy. I will look at that tonight once I get the other bench out. My reclining loveseat has shipped and could be here any day now.

Total Loss, let me know if you don't like my tagging on to your old thread and I will start a new one. I figured if it is all in one place it would help people that are searching on the subject!
Old 05-17-2018, 10:34 AM   #76
Empty Nesters

Pictures of my work. Working after work until dinner time.Click image for larger version

Name:	20180516_163510.jpeg
Size:	76.4 KB
ID:	172235Click image for larger version

Name:	20180516_170801.jpeg
Views:	76
Size:	83.1 KB
ID:	172236Click image for larger version

Name:	20180516_172628.jpeg
Views:	79
Size:	96.3 KB
ID:	172237Click image for larger version

Name:	20180516_174552.jpeg
Size:	95.9 KB
ID:	172238
Old 05-22-2018, 11:33 AM   #77
Empty Nesters

Not finished yet but got the loveseat/recliners in and and put them im the mh last night. Still needs some finishing touches
Click image for larger version

Name:	20180521_174025.jpeg
Views:	127
Size:	89.8 KB
ID:	172934Click image for larger version

Name:	20180521_173943.jpeg
Views:	109
Size:	71.0 KB
ID:	172935
Old 05-23-2018, 06:39 AM   #78

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenandCarol View Post
Not finished yet but got the loveseat/recliners in and and put them im the mh last night. Still needs some finishing touches
Attachment 172934Attachment 172935
Looks Damm Comfy !!!

I wish ours could be done that way !!!
Wolverine 1945 is offline   Reply With Quote