Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-02-2017, 11:48 AM   #1

2801QS. Creaking noise from front slides driving us crazy .

I have tried lubing the seals. Made wooden pieces to act as locks. Just ordered slide locks to see if they will help. Love the MH but noise is too much. It sounds like the creaking floor boards in an old house every time we pass a bump or crack in the road. Seems that something between the wall & slide is too tight.
golfersteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2017, 12:48 PM   #2

I have same model 2801 and have same creaking. Let us know if something works.
sgtlm17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2017, 01:55 PM   #3

Forester 2801QS slides creaking

We bought the Forester 2801QS in Florida. Since it was so loud we decided to drive North to the warranty dept in Elkhart. This was a real letdown. I had a checklist of about a dozen items but the most important one was the noisy slides. I left it there for 5 hours but on my return they were still scratching their heads. They told me they took it around the block 3 times. They were going to do another test run & invited me to go. Their idea of around the block was a trip around a 200 foot garage. No test at all. We took the MH at 4pm & it made the same noise immediately. I called the warranty contract & was told to take it to a dealer in Bangor, Maine. In all we drove the rattle trap apx 3600 miles. If I didn't like so many features I would contact a lawyer right now. If this problem isn't resolved that is what I may have to do.
Old 05-02-2017, 05:32 PM   #4
Site Team

Our 2800 creaks as well. I don't think I've ever driven any motorhome, with slide outs anyway, that didn't creak...
Old 05-02-2017, 06:06 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfersteve View Post
We bought the Forester 2801QS in Florida. Since it was so loud we decided to drive North to the warranty dept in Elkhart. This was a real letdown. I had a checklist of about a dozen items but the most important one was the noisy slides. I left it there for 5 hours but on my return they were still scratching their heads. They told me they took it around the block 3 times. They were going to do another test run & invited me to go. Their idea of around the block was a trip around a 200 foot garage. No test at all. We took the MH at 4pm & it made the same noise immediately. I called the warranty contract & was told to take it to a dealer in Bangor, Maine. In all we drove the rattle trap apx 3600 miles. If I didn't like so many features I would contact a lawyer right now. If this problem isn't resolved that is what I may have to do.
Sorry to hear you are having issues. A word to the wise...

If you mention Lawyer to Forest River, they will shut you out and then you get to fight the best team of lawyers a billionaire can buy.
Keep the lines of communication open.

Can you post some pictures of the exterior seals with the slides open so we can see if the slide needs adjusted? (both sides and top)
crunchman12001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017, 01:50 PM   #6

I just bought a 2016 2801 qs gts and have the same problem with the front passenger slide. I have an appointment in a couple of weeks to have it checked. It is definitely a loud scraping noise that sounds like fiberglass rubbing against each other. I drive it from dealership to my house when we first bought it a month ago and then to our first trip of about another 100 miles. It never made a peep o the way very but began the horrible noise on way home. It only has 4000 miles on it. I have tried opening and closing the slide and it does appear slightly farther away from the bottom that the top. I will let you know if and when then figure it out!
mjmanwarren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017, 04:56 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by crunchman12001 View Post
Sorry to hear you are having issues. A word to the wise...

If you mention Lawyer to Forest River, they will shut you out and then you get to fight the best team of lawyers a billionaire can buy.
Keep the lines of communication open.

Can you post some pictures of the exterior seals with the slides open so we can see if the slide needs adjusted? (both sides and top)

I can take the photos but know how to post them
Old 05-03-2017, 08:00 PM   #8

I have a 2401 MBS Forester that presented the terrible creaking noise with every irregularity in the road. Several trips to Camping World did not resolve the problem...and finally one of the techs came up with a diagnosis that the attachment of the slide out frame to the side wall was not adequate, They tried to reinforce the opening and that proved to be of some slight help although they said that they would need to take the slide-out out to remedy the situation....suggesting that perhaps there was some problem with the opening not being right sized. While waiting for FR warranty approval, I bought an adjustable slide-out lock. (I had one supplied with a previous rig which I had used regularly). This proved to reduce the creaking noise to a point I could live with it when it did rarely occur. Just need to remember to take it out before opening the slide....think it would tear off the trim of the slide-out if forgotten. So after 15K miles of creaking, it's a much more pleasant ride....and I did not have to make another 60 mile trip to CW.
Old 05-03-2017, 08:11 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by llscott View Post
I have a 2401 MBS Forester that presented the terrible creaking noise with every irregularity in the road. Several trips to Camping World did not resolve the problem...and finally one of the techs came up with a diagnosis that the attachment of the slide out frame to the side wall was not adequate, They tried to reinforce the opening and that proved to be of some slight help although they said that they would need to take the slide-out out to remedy the situation....suggesting that perhaps there was some problem with the opening not being right sized. While waiting for FR warranty approval, I bought an adjustable slide-out lock. (I had one supplied with a previous rig which I had used regularly). This proved to reduce the creaking noise to a point I could live with it when it did rarely occur. Just need to remember to take it out before opening the slide....think it would tear off the trim of the slide-out if forgotten. So after 15K miles of creaking, it's a much more pleasant ride....and I did not have to make another 60 mile trip to CW.

Thanks so much. I ordered one slide lock yesterday & might order another. Can't handle the noise
Old 05-04-2017, 08:28 AM   #10

Maybe that is the noise I hear behind me when driving our Sunseeker 2500TS ???
The Dinning Slide is right behind me !!!
Wolverine 1945 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2017, 08:47 AM   #11
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolverine 1945 View Post
The 2800 / 2801 has a slide on each side directly behind the cab. So you can double the "fun"...

A word of caution on slide locks, make sure the trim around the slide out can handle the load before installing one. I've seen trim / garnish cracked and ripped off by a slide lock as the trim was was just barely tacked on... And that was in a TT we had that came with a OEM slide lock and even had a sticker showing where to install it!
Old 05-04-2017, 09:00 AM   #12

Quote:

That's where ours started but now the passenger side is the worst. Going to try a slide lock Will keep posting until resolved
Old 05-04-2017, 09:09 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedLdr1 View Post
The 2800 / 2801 has a slide on each side directly behind the cab. So you can double the "fun"...

A word of caution on slide locks, make sure the trim around the slide out can handle the load before installing one. I've seen trim / garnish cracked and ripped off by a slide lock as the trim was was just barely tacked on... And that was in a TT we had that came with a OEM slide lock and even had a sticker showing where to install it!
We used to have a TT like that,,, but when ever we got where we were going the locks had always fallen out ???
Old 05-04-2017, 09:27 AM   #14
Site Team

Quote:
We used to have a TT like that,,, but when ever we got where we were going the locks had always fallen out ???
The lock falling out was never an issue... The TT was a Holiday Rambler and they made their travel lock fit snug...too snug! Their definition of a travel lock was a piece of one inch wood dowel cut to fit and then finished off with rubber caps like used on a stool leg... That was a very interesting warranty claim getting that one repaired even though the dealer was on our side....

golfersteve,

Did the drivers side slide start getting noisy after you loaded the storage under the dinette seats? I'm just wondering if adding weight to the slide out may have caused some of the issue.
Old 05-04-2017, 10:16 AM   #15

Ours were adjustable,,, but never seamed to get them tight enough !!!
They were on a Super Slide !!!
Old 05-04-2017, 10:30 AM   #16

On the 2801 qs the noise was still there with no weight in compartment. It's strange that it was fine and now all of a sudden with nothing being good different it's getting worse. Sounds like adjustment of slides may be problem.
mjmanwarren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2017, 04:11 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjmanwarren View Post
On the 2801 qs the noise was still there with no weight in compartment. It's strange that it was fine and now all of a sudden with nothing being good different it's getting worse. Sounds like adjustment of slides may be problem.

I tried the slide lock no help. To me it seems the slides are too tight. It's very frustrating after spending $116000 on the Forester 2801qs that sounds worse than a model T Ford.
Old 05-07-2017, 06:51 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfersteve View Post
I tried the slide lock no help. To me it seems the slides are too tight. It's very frustrating after spending $116000 on the Forester 2801qs that sounds worse than a model T Ford.
You say maybe they are to tight,,,
Is it something that spray lube could help ???
Old 05-07-2017, 06:52 AM   #19

I am sorry I see you already tried that !!!
Old 05-07-2017, 11:48 AM   #20

Quote:
You say maybe they are to tight,,,

Is it something that spray lube could help ???

Wish lube would help. I can't tell you how many times I tried that on our 3300 mile first trip out. Something is seriously wrong Steve

Tags
280, forester, noise, slide