Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-03-2016, 08:22 PM   #1

3011 /3051

Good evening,

Wife and I are considering the move from our current TT to a class C. This is a tough decision for us due to babying our current TT, and keeping it inside...lol. It really is a perfect TT for us and we have enjoyed it.

We have been discussing the benefits of having access to the living area while traveling which has brought us to the 2016 Forester 3011 and 3051 floor plans. We do like them both and have gone back and forth with the pros and cons of each floor plan. We will get that worked out .....lol.

My questions regarding the units are 1) outside storage for a grill, chairs, under awning mats, canapy, tiki torches, and other needed camping items ? 2) Can the generator be turned on / off from within the unit while traveling ? 3) cab noise and heat generated from engine hump in driver / passenger area ? 4) I read the shower area in the 3011 is a little smaller (I'm 6'0 and 190 lbs) will it work for me? 5) is the couch in the 3011 an air mattress ? 6) With the larger inverters in the 2016s what does that allow for? 7) Is the 15000 btu AC enough to cool the 30 foot unit?

We have decided on a C because of size ( my covered parking is 35 ft, and my wife would feel comfortable behind the wheel, and would never considered driving a class A.

I am in the process of obtaining quotes for both floor plans. Unfortuntly, the closest dealer who has both floor plans that we could sit in, is about two hours away.

We also like the Jayco Grey hawk due to its suspension upgrades, but are leaning with the Forester.

For those who have already assisted me with info through pm's.....thank you.

If you have time to provide some input and owner experience I would appreciate it.

Thank you.
1930 lbs CCC
2014 Jeep Rubicon JK
Going where the weather suits my clothes.
Steeljag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2016, 08:40 PM   #2

Steeljag I can only comment on the 3051 as thats what I have, as for storage there is lots BUT!!! you only have a 1600 lbs carrying limit. Yes the genny can be started and shut off from inside. Heat from the engine can make it a little warm in the passenger seat area but you can put more insulation under the doghouse ( engine cover) to fix that. The shower is great my sons are all over six foot and they use it no problem. I have the 15000 BTU a/c and it works good , now mind you I live in Canada and dont have the 100 degree weather like in say Texas. Hope this helps some , and yes we REALLY !!! do like the 3051 .
wana65stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2016, 01:03 AM   #3

I don't know if you've done a search here already and heard our story... But we had a Arctic Fox TT we loved. No interest in changing. We bought a brand new expensive tow vehicle and went on a 2000 mile trip back in April 2015. We stopped at a Campingworld to buy some supplies, we were 1000 miles from home. Before going inside we looked at the motorhomes in the parking lot, something we always did at CW. Not only didn't we want a motorhome, but we'd never liked Class C MHs.

We stepped into a 3051s, it was new on the lot. Still had plastic on everything. The slide was even in. And boom, we were sold. Just like that. We continued on or trip but every night we talked about the Forester and if we could make that happen.

We did a lot more research, checked out other models, got prices from all over the country and bought ours at the end of June at a dealer 4 hours away.

We love it.

We sold our beloved TT, outfitted the 3051 and we've never regretted it for a minute.

You can run the gen anytime you want at a push of a button inside the coach. The shower is plenty big and I'm 6' 2" and 225 lbs. The A/C is good but does struggle on 90+ degree days. With the slide in you can use every part of the RV. There is tons of storage. In fact, we are only using about 80% of the available storage and there are 3-large cabinets inside that are totally empty. We've never noticed much heat from the engine inside the cab. The cab A/C blows very cold.

We've put 5000 miles on ours already and leave for a month-long trip this Wed. So our RV is in the driveway right now getting loaded up. There is never a time we don't step inside and think what a great RV.

We think the 3051 is the best floorplan but everyone is different.

Go for it!
Old 01-04-2016, 07:29 AM   #4

We have a 2011 Sunseeker 3100. I have no comments on the floor plan, but I will say something about the 15,000 BTU/hr A/C and heat pump. When we were in west Texas in 104 degree weather, it took a long time for the A/C to cool it down. The cab A/C kept us cool while we were driving, but the coach was in the high 80's when we stopped. In retrospect, I should have started the generator and turned on the coach A/C at least an hour before we arrived at the campground. The situation would have been worse had it been 100 degrees in high humidity.

When it's hot or cold we hang a blanket behind the cab seats to block off the heat or cold from the cab. I also open the hood to let the engine heat out so less comes through the doghouse.

The passenger side footwell and that side of the doghouse get pretty warm when driving during 90+ degree weather. We put some towels on the floor which helps. Oddly, the driver's side of the floor and doghouse don't get hot. I plan to add some insulation before out next trip.
RamblerGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2016, 09:28 AM   #5
Class C Representative

We have firestone ride rite air suspension in the rear. It allows you to fill air bags up to put level out your coach for a smoother more comfortable ride. If you're ever towing it allows you to raise up the rear and put the wait back on the vehicle in tow.
PLEASE do not send questions via Profile comments or Private Message, my inbox fills up too quickly. Post questions in the forum as a new thread so that other users can benefit from the answers. Use Private Messages for sensitive information only (VIN, Contact info or things you do not want the public to see).
Joshua Cavitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2016, 09:29 AM   #6

Thank you for the owner / user information.

Just looking at the pics of these two units, we were concerned the outside storage bays (looked small) for our grill, chairs, canopy, outside rugs, etc.

With the larger refrigerator, is that powered by the inverter while driving? Not sure if we need that big refrigerator, but I do like the ice maker part of it!

Can you walk around the beds on both units?

Thanks again for owner / operator experience!
1930 lbs CCC
2014 Jeep Rubicon JK
Old 01-04-2016, 09:59 AM   #7
Class C Representative

There is more than enough room for all of those things. The bigger items like the canopy, outside rug, and chairs can be put on the top part of the pass through storage in the rear. Items like the grill can be left in the tub portion of the pass through storage.

There is no inverter, only a converter, and the fridge will run off the coach batteries. Since it is a 3 way fridge you can get it cooled down to temperature with propane or Shore power then keep it maintained with the coach batteries.

Both beds are walk around residential queen beds (60x80)
PLEASE do not send questions via Profile comments or Private Message, my inbox fills up too quickly. Post questions in the forum as a new thread so that other users can benefit from the answers. Use Private Messages for sensitive information only (VIN, Contact info or things you do not want the public to see).
Old 01-04-2016, 10:09 AM   #8

We have the 3010, Sunseeker. Plenty of storage for large items in the rear. We put a Coleman full size grill back there, gravity chairs, rug, buggy boards, beach umbrella, and several other items. You can go around each side of the bed in ours, but the side toward the rear is tight. Only thing we would change is how small the bathroom is, but we like more living space any day. We love the large fridge on longer trips or if we go with friends. Our fridges in our travel trailers never seemed to have enough room even on shorter trips. Fridge runs on propane while driving unless you have the generator on, then it switches over to electric.
Brian217 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2016, 11:18 AM   #9

Storage galore in both, we chose the 3011 floor plan because of counter space being much larger than 3051
rekwiat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2016, 11:57 AM   #10

We carry 2 grills, large mat, small mat,tailgater, tools,outside step stool,6 chairs,everything a person needs to camp but nothing that we don't use. We have the 3050s which gives a little more room that the other. I don't have 3 way refrigerator on my 2015 it's only electric and gas, I have storage bins that are empty. I have learned over the years don't carry unnecessary things you don't need, only carry what you will use
Old 01-04-2016, 02:12 PM   #11
Class C Representative

Technically there are only two ways for the fridge to be ran, Electricity and gas, but there are 3 different sources that can be pulled from.
Old 01-04-2016, 02:59 PM   #12

Thanks to all for this info!

I was "told" the residential refrigerator could not run on propane, and only be operated by shore power, or the generator. For my clarification, while driving between locations, the batteries, and or propane will operator the large refrigerator ? The onboard generator does not need to be running for this?

I feel allot better about the outside storage with the info provided. We really are "lite" packers, I was just concerned about some of the bulky items mentioned.

I also understand the 2011 has 500 lbs more of CCC than the 3051? and a little more storage space? At the expense of a smaller shower, and slightly smaller bed ?

I would really like to park the two units side by side, and spend time getting the feel of both units, and I am working on that.

Thanks to ALL for the owner / user experience !
1930 lbs CCC
2014 Jeep Rubicon JK
Old 01-04-2016, 04:56 PM   #13
Class C Representative

The big refrigerator is not a residential fridge and can be powered off of propane or electricity. The onboard generator does not need to be on.
Old 01-04-2016, 07:10 PM   #14

All good....thank you Josh!
1930 lbs CCC
2014 Jeep Rubicon JK
Old 01-05-2016, 12:58 AM   #15

I'm only really familiar with the 3051, though I did test drive the 3011.

One great thing about the 3051 is the way the bathroom is set up. The sink and countertop are open in the aisle on the slide side, with the toilet and shower opposite. There is a solid sliding door between the kitchen and the bathroom. And an accordion door between the bathroom and the bedroom. So you close the sliding door and the accordion door and use the whole space as one large room.

It lives very well. Super convenient.
Old 01-06-2016, 01:15 PM   #16
Citrus County, Fl.

Bob, maybe your best bet for comparing side by side would be to attend the Tampa RV show. Maybe Joshua can chime in if he knows if a 3010/11 and 3050/51 will be there. I can on going Wednesday. If you will be there give me a call if you still have my number and maybe we can catch a sandwich together. I plan on wearing my FROG hat!!
99 Terry 31G
GL1800Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 02:46 PM   #17
Class C Representative

Both of those floor plans will be at the Tampa show.
Old 01-06-2016, 10:13 PM   #18

We looked at both models and ended up with the 3011 floor plan because of the large counter in the kitchen and the sleeping layout to fit our family of 6.

Two kids sleep in the bed over the cab and two sleep on the couch which pulls out into a full size bed. The length of this bed will last as our kids grow taller. The 3051 has a jackknife sofa bed and the dining table that turns into a bed but it seems pretty short.

If it was just my wife and I we may have gone with the 3051. It seems like a good couples layout.

The outside storage holds everything we need and then some. We have a portable grill, huge outdoor mat, large cooler for ice and drinks, 8 chairs including a couple zero gravity chairs, toolbox, electric and plumbing stuff, a step stool, a tote for firewood, beach toys, kites, bike helmets, the kids Razor scooters, a Camp Chef 2-burner stove plus griddle top and BBQ box, leveling blocks, etc, etc.

We have the 4 door fridge with ice maker and we love it. It holds plenty of food and gets cold quickly and stays cold. I keep it on the auto switch so while we're driving the propane keeps it going and when we get to a campground with shore power it switches over automatically.

Either way you can't go wrong. We love our Forester and would buy a Forester if we were shopping again. Good luck and have fun!
Old 01-07-2016, 08:25 AM   #19

I'm hoping that we have the similar experience with our 3011DS! I'm working out the details now to go pay for ours and scheduling a pick up date.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ORvideoguy View Post
We looked at both models and ended up with the 3011 floor plan because of the large counter in the kitchen and the sleeping layout to fit our family of 6.

Two kids sleep in the bed over the cab and two sleep on the couch which pulls out into a full size bed. The length of this bed will last as our kids grow taller. The 3051 has a jackknife sofa bed and the dining table that turns into a bed but it seems pretty short.

If it was just my wife and I we may have gone with the 3051. It seems like a good couples layout.

The outside storage holds everything we need and then some. We have a portable grill, huge outdoor mat, large cooler for ice and drinks, 8 chairs including a couple zero gravity chairs, toolbox, electric and plumbing stuff, a step stool, a tote for firewood, beach toys, kites, bike helmets, the kids Razor scooters, a Camp Chef 2-burner stove plus griddle top and BBQ box, leveling blocks, etc, etc.

We have the 4 door fridge with ice maker and we love it. It holds plenty of food and gets cold quickly and stays cold. I keep it on the auto switch so while we're driving the propane keeps it going and when we get to a campground with shore power it switches over automatically.

Either way you can't go wrong. We love our Forester and would buy a Forester if we were shopping again. Good luck and have fun!
newRVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2016, 07:11 PM   #20

Thank you all for the info!

We have located both models at a dealer much closer than the Tampa show (still two hours away) but hopefully we can get over there this weekend.

Mostly it will be just the wife and I, with an occasional guest or two. I just want to lay on the beds, and stand within the shower of both units. On floor plans, the shower looks smaller on the 3011?

Is the shower noticeably smaller?

GL1800- if I end up going to the Tampa show I surely will give you a call. Don't spend to much money over there...lol!

ORvideo- I don't have that much stuff in my house garage....LOL. Thank you, I did have concerns about outside storage from looking at pics.
1930 lbs CCC
2014 Jeep Rubicon JK

Tags