Old 03-29-2015, 01:44 AM   #1

3011DS Maiden Voyage success!

Our family of 6 took our maiden voyage in our 2015 Forester 3011DS and it was amazing! Everything worked great and even though this is our first RV of any kind I feel like an old pro thanks to all of the information I have gained here.

We're so pleased with the model we chose and all the extras we selected. With a family of 6 the bigger fridge option is perfect, the sleeping arrangements worked really well and we love everything about the RV.

We camped with another family so we ended up with 11 people watching a movie the one night it rained and we actually had room for everyone. It was tight but we made it work.

I'm still amazed at everything the Forester offers. We're so pleased with Forest River and our 3011DS!

Old 03-29-2015, 10:17 AM   #2

Glad to hear your maiden voyage went well! More great trips to come.

Old 03-29-2015, 01:13 PM   #3

Glad to hear your first trip went well , my wife and i have a fews more weeks to take delivery on a 3171 hope we also have same results, keep us posted thanks
kenny
Old 03-29-2015, 10:38 PM   #4
rd3

Glad you like it. Our maiden voyage is coming up in 5 days. Hope it goes as well as your trip
Old 04-29-2015, 09:09 AM   #5

I'm looking at the 3011.

How do you like the U dinette?
Is there enough space for plates, and food on the table?

How is taking out the trash can?
Is it a convenience or hassle?
Do you have the outdoor tv?

Do you have the full size fridge?
If so, where do you store most of your dry food goods?

What do you have over the microwave?

What went right on your trip?

What went wrong?

Congrats!
Old 04-29-2015, 12:27 PM   #6
rd3

I like the U dinette much better than the traditional. Feels like you have more room for 4 people. No problem with space for plates and food. Depends on how much you are going to set out.

Trash can is a piece of cake. TV moves out of the way easily and the trash can is just sitting there behind it. Yes we have the outdoor TV.

Don't have the full size fridge. Store dry goods in the pantry next to the fridge.

Open cabinet type space without door. It has a lip about 3 inches high so stuff won't fall out.

All went great on the trip. I'm used to setting up a popup so this was a piece of cake. I was sitting under the awning with a cool beverage within 15 mins of pulling up.

Had a small water leak on the outdoor shower. The fitting where the hose connects needed to be tightened up. No other problems.

Good look with your search
Old 04-29-2015, 12:51 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by deanjp1 View Post
I'm looking at the 3011.
How do you like the U dinette?
Is there enough space for plates, and food on the table?

The dinette is more spacious than it looks. We can fit 5 of us (1 adult and 4 kids) around the U seating area comfortably. This trip the 6th family member either sat on the couch or stood at the table to eat. We're looking for a tall ottoman type seat or stool so we can put the 6th person on the outside of the table with a seat. We had room for everyone's plates and drinks, so no problems there. It worked a lot better than I thought it would.

How is taking out the trash can?
Is it a convenience or hassle?
Do you have the outdoor tv?

As funny as it sounds the trash can compartment and exterior access is one of the reasons we chose a Forester. We rented a Sunseeker 3010 without the outdoor TV before our purchase and we loved the outside access to the garbage. It was easy to get to the trash can and take it out to empty the garbage. It's definitely a convenience to us and it's a good use of space.

We ordered our Forester with the exterior TV and the only difference is that the trash/TV compartment is slightly larger so it can fit the TV. The access door is larger and there is a larger opening for the TV but basically it's the same access to the trash can. The exterior TV is mounted to an adjustable arm and it swings out in order to access the trash can. Behind the TV is the compartment for the trash can and it goes in and out the same way as the units without the TV. We figured if we were ordering a new RV we would get every last option we could possibly want, especially since adding the TV later would probably not work.

Do you have the full size fridge?
If so, where do you store most of your dry food goods?

We have the full size fridge and it's great to load it up with drinks and all the food we need without worrying about running out of room. With a big family it made sense to have more cold storage. We store our dry goods in the drawers underneath the dinette and in the storage compartments above the dinette. We have our paper plates and cups in the cabinet above the kitchen sink and the lower cabinets in the kitchen hold out pots and pans and other cooking utensils.

What do you have over the microwave?
Above the microwave is a small opening with a decorative wood trim which it looks like in the 2016 model has changed slightly. We used that area for games and the kids coloring books. It could definitely be used for dry goods and in fact we're still figuring out where everything will work best so that may change but so far we haven't felt like we have run out of room.

What went right on your trip?
Everything seemed to go perfectly. As a first time RV owner I had practiced everything in my driveway to make sure I could hook everything up and that everything worked properly. At the campsite I felt like an old pro. I finished setting up so quickly I didn't know what to do with myself. Prior to having the RV we were tent campers and set up took a lot longer. When I was done hooking up the water, sewer and electric I felt like I should be doing more. Instead I was able to play baseball with the kids and relax.

What went wrong?
Nothing went wrong other than one night of rain but that's when we piled everyone in the RV and watched a movie. It was so nice to have a place to stay dry and hang out.

I think no matter what model you choose you'll be happy with a Forest River Forester or Sunseeker. We shopped around a lot and looked at other brands and other floor plans and we kept coming back to Forest River because of the well thought out features and design. I've also found a lot of value with this forum and the access to factory reps Brian Clemens and Joshua Cavitt. We couldn't be happier.
Old 04-29-2015, 10:56 PM   #8

The garbage is one of the best features ever!
Old 05-02-2015, 09:12 AM   #9
Tinkerer and Putterer

The garbage hole was the determining factor for our choice of the 3011 over other models and manufacturers. We cross shopped Winnebago, Jayco and FR. With smart dogs who like to garbage dive and the fact that we use the counter space for prepping food the garbage hole was just too good pass up.

The air bags, better foam than Jayco, fiberglass roof and less of a swing out in the back were some of the other reasons I picked this rig.

The wife liked the layout, the bed, and the price.

Ultimately the garbage hole is what won us over from the Winnie so yeah, for us it was that important. I wish it existed in the Class As for when it comes time for the upgrade. That would make the decision to upgrade that much easier.