Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-01-2017, 07:50 PM   #1
psribbens

3011DS shake-down MBS to 3011DS

A week ago we bid farewell to our MBS 2401s--last trip out 15MPG.
And welcome our new 3011DS.
As always, the teething problems;

1) Right rear outside tire, today 45 psi, ouch, filled 45 to 80 PSI on Tuesday, back to 78 PSI in an hour... so we've got a leaker.

2) Both air-shocks, filled to 70 psi Tuesday, 45 psi today (are they connected to the tire?;-)
3) tried to measure the spare tire pressure, no go, since they didn't install a 90' tire extender none of my gauges can get at it...

Going to miss 15MPG, we averaged about 14 MPG over the 17,000 we had it. We travel with growing grand-kids, and between the space and meager CCC, we had to move up. DW said if we wait our MBS will be worth less and the 3011DS will cost the same or more, so bought one close to our specifications off the lot...

Can't say I like the extra 7 feet in length, and extra width on the road, but inside it feels spacious even without the main slide out. In the MBS we had more space than CCC, and with about 650 pounds more CCC in the 3011DS... that seems like a lot, however a full 55 gallons of gas weighs in at 330 pounds. Still that extra covers a lot of little things we just couldn't consider before unless towing a trailer. --other places on the forums probably go into the difference between the advertised CCC and the yellow door sticker--the actual CCC--in both our MH's 300 pounds less than advertised--this time we knew to look a the yellow sticker, so no sticker shock.

Auto-leveling (if it keeps working well) it a likely culprit in the CCC battle, and for DW worth the cost and weight. So far so good, I cut some left-over brown-treat deck planks 2"x 10" x 14" to put under the pads to distribute the weight on our asphalt driveway--just seems like a good idea.

All MH's have a signature sound, a low rumble arrives about 55 mph and steady through 70 mph (about as fast is we are likely to travel) is not pleasant to my ear--overall, there's less noise at 65 mph than in the MBS. I'm told the 6 speed transmission keeps the RPM's lower, the engine sound less, and gas mileage improvement. Not enough data to show--we estimate we are getting about 10 MPG...

It's been a busy week putting the bedding back, getting the kitchen the way DW likes, and I can live with, modifying the refrigerator light with a 12 volt LED perimeter strip, installed the Surge Guard 35530 30A Hardwire Rated 120V, 30A - 2450 Joules

beneath the bed this morning--still trying to figure the best place for the remote read-out.

Tire-minder TPMS on order--the miserable MBS came from the factory without metal tire stems, or 90 extenders on the rear-- a real travesty. The 3011 came with 4 metal stems and two rubber! Now what? likely some kind of rim stabilizing gizmo. Oh, picked up two TPMS sensors for $50 at camping world--they will be used for the air-shocks...

Not a fan of the Android central control. As a control engineer I realized there's a time for flat panel data entry and a time for hard-wired switches. Sure it's nice to turn on all lights at a press of a button--why not the option to turn on all INTERIOR lights, or outside passenger lights, etc.
Yes, the reading lights in the various area's are manually operated, yeah! Yet it is nice to watch the awing go out as it is operated from my android phone. Perhaps the same for deploying the slides, but common sense says one should be inside when bringing them in (and outside when pushing them out?) Now you have the option.

Haven't driven it enough to know how it handles--especially given the nature of the air-shocks and low right rear tire--I know threads are out there hitting on camber and other issues--I can hope they are resolved by now..

Came through driving rain on the way home from the dealer--no known water leaks! Both slides out in a good down pour, still no leaks, whopee

Radio said "SiriusXM ready", MBS came with, as I recall--going to have dealer install this when tire and air-shock issue is addressed, my goal, the end of this next week.

No GPS NAV on the radio--a mixed bag here--what is the best external RV GPS--I read so many conflicting reviews, reports. Do tell, what's your experience in a Forester or Sunseeker Chassis?

I'm sure I've missed some things and I'll offer an update.
Old 07-01-2017, 10:29 PM   #2

Congratulations on the upgrade! Many of us have had issues with leaking tires from valve stems. Here is a link to my topic back in Sept 2015 concerning the tire air valves. http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...s-92760-2.html I have had good luck with the flexible mesh valve extenders and the "J" extensions that mine came with. Just have to make sure they are tight after checking air and filling.
Many have had the issue of air bags not holding the air. Best left to the dealer to handle that as the most common place for the leak is where it connects to the bag. I've been lucky and mine holds the air for 2-3 weeks and drops to 50 psi, no lower.
Are you really getting 10mpg? Most of us with the Ford E450 get between 8 and 9.5mpg. Or do you have the Chevy chassis?
Watch out for that extra 7 feet and the not so sharp turing radius. I've had issues at gas stations where it's hard to pull out and have to wait for an opening as others leave. Longer wheel base.
I took my Forester 2701ds fully loaded at the start of a recent trip into a CAT scales and got the exact axle weights so I know how much more I can load. Still 700 lbs under GVWR, 280 lbs front and 480 lbs rear. I know that one side could be over loaded, but no 4 corner scales available near me. You may want to check yours and see how close you actually are CCC and to GVWR.
Ours came with our radio Sirius ready. We just activated it last month. I asked about free 3 month trial, but was able to get a better plan for 6months at a good discount.
Good Luck and
2018 Camping 10 trips 38 nights
2019 Camping 6 trips 19 nights
2020 Camping 0 trips Cancellations 6
Sagecoachdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2017, 11:32 PM   #3

I have a 2018 3011ds with the pioneer radio with my and I was able to downloadGenius Maps and car connectivity and have the GPS on my radio screen.
lacrawgator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2017, 04:32 PM   #4
psribbens

Thanks SageCoach

"Are you really getting 10mpg?"
NO! Haven't used a first tank of gas, 10 MPG is just a WAG based on the 3 rides between here and the dealer (120 miles) and consuming about 1/4 of a tank--more data needed

thanks for your MPG's--since they do vary by weather conditions, roads, and driving habits.

Also, will check out your suggestions for the rubber extender replacements. I followed your link and that proved helpful. The metal "J" look, feel fine, sturdy for the outside tires.

I had two spare Tireminder TPMS, now 8 installed, two for the air shocks...
Wondering if I jumped the gun on leaking, since it may be that I tested the pressures before and after leveling... The tire definitely leaks! More data tomorrow.

I'll call the dealer tomorrow about the tire and air shocks.
Old 07-03-2017, 07:10 AM   #5

Air shocks ? Or air bags ?

I believe the CCC yellow sticker includes a full tank of fuel.

My dash stereo also had a Sirius XM sticker, but I don't have it. ( I have it on another vehicle). I did expect (hoped) I would get a free trial for X amount of months with new purchase.

No built in GPS on ours, but may check into Crawgators download.

So far I have had no handling issues in the first 1600 miles.

Enjoy your new RV !
1930 lbs CCC
2014 Jeep Rubicon JK
Going where the weather suits my clothes.
Steeljag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2017, 09:44 AM   #6

Congrats on the new RV! I have a 2016 3011 which has been through a lot of warranty work and I have completed several suspension/steering upgrades. In my opinion, the length is nice for the room but does not do well for driving thus the need for the modifications. Just got finished my last suspension/steering mod and hopefully it will now drive the way I like.

Good luck!

RVr
newRVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2017, 11:54 AM   #7

no problem driving

My DH is the driver and he said it rides good. So far so good.
lacrawgator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2017, 06:39 PM   #8

Had a similar issue with the tire pressure on our new MH. One day I was under the MH looking at something else and noticed a screw in the tire. It was one of those screws that are special to the RV industry. My guess is that either the factory or dealer do not do a good job of sweeping the floor. Anyway took it to Discount Tire and they patched it for free.
markb422 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2017, 08:45 PM   #9
psribbens

Screws, Tires and TPMS more

Quote:
Originally Posted by markb422 View Post
Had a similar issue with the tire pressure on our new MH. One day I was under the MH looking at something else and noticed a screw in the tire. It was one of those screws that are special to the RV industry. My guess is that either the factory or dealer do not do a good job of sweeping the floor. Anyway took it to Discount Tire and they patched it for free.
=====================

Funny you should say that, digging around the drivers side dualies, I found a white painted 1/2" screw on the ground between the two tires--I have no idea how it got there, but I'm glad I found it before it embedded in the tire.

I removed the panel beneath the refrigerator, I wiped sawdust and construction debris off the outer steel frame work of the furnace--unlikely a hazard-- and found an entire package of 4 screws just laying around. I got here since the door closer on the drawer beneath the oven broke--somehow the dealer left me with some spare parts (we found doing the PDI) and I repaired it. the drawer had to come out, and there beneath it all the construction debris; the cut out for the courtesy lights, the foam insulation from installing the outside outlet; tie wrap ends, a hunk of 12V wire... which lead me to cleaning the adjacent area beneath the refrigerator--I'll bet, operationally, nothing is different. Yet, I've found cleaner is better....

TPMS--Looks like the Air-shocks (okay they are air bags, but if I say that DW says they will think air-bags for cash test dummies.) Since I aired them up with the unit leveled, I haven't lost any air there. So one win for Me and Forest River. but...

The TPMS does not like the plastic extenders on the inside dualies--16 psi on the passenger inside rear this morning. I filled the tire, and put some soapy water on the TPMS junction, and it happily blew bubbles--ack! So I've removed the TPMS until I get stainless steel 7" extenders--they are to be here Thursday.

In all the dinking around, I found the little flow-through caps that either
FR or the dealer put on--well the little O-rings on the slow leaking tire seems to be damaged. I've taken these off when installing the TPMS, and perhaps this was the cause of the slow leak. Less connections makes for a more reliable system IMHO, all the bits an pieces have to fit just right and not leak.

lots of knit-picking

more tomorrow or Thursday or when I know more.
Old 07-04-2017, 04:32 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by pribbens View Post
"Are you really getting 10mpg?"
NO! Haven't used a first tank of gas, 10 MPG is just a WAG based on the 3 rides between here and the dealer (120 miles) and consuming about 1/4 of a tank--more data needed

thanks for your MPG's--since they do vary by weather conditions, roads, and driving habits.

Also, will check out your suggestions for the rubber extender replacements. I followed your link and that proved helpful. The metal "J" look, feel fine, sturdy for the outside tires.

I had two spare Tireminder TPMS, now 8 installed, two for the air shocks...
Wondering if I jumped the gun on leaking, since it may be that I tested the pressures before and after leveling... The tire definitely leaks! More data tomorrow.

I'll call the dealer tomorrow about the tire and air shocks.
Have you driven your rig with the TPMS sensors on the air bags? If not, you may find that sensors on your air bags will be a no-go. I put sensors on mine and all was fine until I drove it and turned the first corner. The pressures fluctuate wildly and cause constant over/under pressure alarms.
I removed them and just check and add air if needed before or during a trip. Mine don't hold 70 psi for long but they lose air equally so I'm thinking nature of the beast.
Old 07-04-2017, 12:19 PM   #11

We bought our 3011 DS one year ago. We are currently on a 90 day tour of Canada and Alaska in her, ( currently in North Pole, AK). We came from SC through TN, KY, IL, IA, NE, SD, MT, AB and the U.S. and Canadian Rockies, BC and YT and over the Top of the World. I have given meticulous attention to mileage and we are averaging 8.02 fully loaded and typically with a tank kept full and towing 4K of jeep through 5100 miles. Steering has been just fine, I have not added anything special, just took her to an expert who adjusted the alignment and told me I did not need special stabilizers and so forth. So far, he has been proven right even over the horrible roads at the top of the world. I have the rubber stems on the inside duallys and my TPMS just allows air leaks on them, so I went without and just check them at each stop. TPMS works fine on the rest, including the jeep.Debated pulling the insides off to install metal stems but thought better of that. Will do that when it is time to replace the tires. And I can tell you that I will never have anything but Michelin LT like the ones that came on it. Passenger side airbag kept letting air out, but I added a small valve extension which seems to have solved that. Just discovered a crack in the FBP on the back end. Will be taking pictures today and sending them to FR and hopefully they will honor repair when we get home, our warranty is up in 8 days. Our Jensen unit is Sirius XM ready and came with 3 months which we extended. Very glad I have it up here as there aren't many station choices. The in dash Jensen unit has a great Navigation unit, but you have to verify it with Siri because he occasionally wants to send you the long way. Both he and Siri got together and deposited us at an erroneous address in Downtown Calgary during afternoon rush hour (a nightmare) and the good people of Calgary are astute in exercising their middle fingers. Very glad mine did not come with the remote control stuff, except for the 3 TVs, the Jensen entertainment system, the Rear cameras, the MaxxAir fan,the Jensen in dash etc. We have 7 remotes, didn't need another to keep up with. The Triton 10 has been a dream on the 7, 8, 9 and 10% grades. You almost don't need brakes with the Towhaul and down and upshift features. Hope you grow to love yours as much as we love ours.

2013 Keystone Raptor TH
2013 Ford F350 Dually TV
Rokslinger is offline   Reply With Quote