Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-13-2014, 08:17 PM   #1

3051/3050 weight limit

My 2014 3051s has a load limit of 1600 lbs, between me,wife,kids and Lab dog that is almost at the limit. Anyone have any good ideas or things they have done to shed some weight to be able to carry some more weight?
wana65stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2014, 08:49 AM   #2

I also have a 2014 3051S and know what you mean. A couple months after having unit I went to a truck stop weight scale to get an idea of the numbers. 2 passengers, 3/4 tank of gas, empty gray and black tank, 1/4 fresh water and pretty full storage tanks with chairs, tools and other items. After that I have just under 450 lbs until maxed out. That is not a lot of room when you start figuring things like clothes and food and misc. Items. We are starting fulltime very soon ( as soon as house sells) so we are very weary of weight. We also are towing a car with a bike rack, 2 bikes and mobility scooter in it.
Things I have learned so far and have been taught.
Make sure waste tanks empty, carry no more than 1/4 tank fresh water, fill up at site
Do not fill up shelves and fridge with food, either buy the bulk when you arrive or closest town to campground.
Use as much plastic as possible for utensils and plates, they make nice looking ones now.
Do not bring all your clothes there is usually laundry at site or close by.
Do not load up on toys and video games for kids, you are enjoying the outdoors.
I know these seem trivial but when you add them up you easily have a couple hundred pounds. Plus others will have many more tips for you that I forgot.

Sent from my SM-T900 using Forest River Forums mobile app
USNMM1VETERAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2014, 09:06 PM   #3

Yeah wall slide layouts are heavy. The 3050 was not available when I bought my 3120 but I decided against even a 3170 partly because it was 400 lbs heavier and the 3050 is yet another 400 lbs heavier. Not too much you can do but the obvious of packing only what is absolutely needed and keeping your tanks empty. You can reduce passenger weight by having some of them follow in a car. If you are pulling a toad 4 down you can put some stuff in it as long as your gross combined weight is okay. If you never plan on changing a flat by yourself you could drop the spare which is at least 50 lbs. Probably about the same weight saving if you remove the trailer hitch if you don't use or need it. I never use the generator and thought of removing it to save a couple hundred pounds but have not done it because my weight capacity is fine.
ATVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2014, 09:52 PM   #4

I was thinking of running aluminiun rims ,higher load rated tires, beefing up the suspension.I always run as lean as possible except for the fuel tank ( don't like the feeling of always having to look for fuel station)like the idea of removing the hitch except it has the skid "V"'s on it to prevent bottoming out . Will have to keep watch on what is being packed I guess.
wana65stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2014, 02:35 PM   #5

I've been thinking about aluminum rims as well but for cosmetic reasons. The ones I like are Moto Metal 963s in black. If you shop around on line you can get a set for under $600 or chrome about $800.
Old 06-18-2014, 04:24 AM   #6

This ma be a dumb question but what is the problem with the weight being so exact? Is it going to blowup, fall apart, the Obama tax guys going to search you out and charge you by the pound. Would not worrying about and being a couple of hundred pounds over be any problem?
Just picking up my new 2015 3051S in Ohio at RVW and going back to Oregon by way of the Black Hills and Yeloowstone. Have not been back there since 1972
allagante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 09:15 AM   #7

No, RV won't collapse or fall apart if you are a little overweight. Police in some states are beginning to weight RVs so you could get a hefty fine (usually by the pound) if caught over the limits of your vehicle design or your registration limits. More of a concern is if you are in an accident and some lawyer uses the fact that you are at fault because of an illegal vehicle weight.
RVs even if we have nothing in them are always near their limits, not like the cars or pickups we normally drive which are normally not anywhere near their limits. Thus RVs have a lot more wear and tear on tires, bearings, etc than a normal car or light truck and is why we have to be extra careful with tire pressures etc.

In my state you technically need a CDL license if over 27000 lbs but the cops will tell you that it's a law they choose not to enforce on RVs yet. However you don't have to worry with a regular class C since it's only 22000 GCW .

Tags
305, weight