Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-20-2013, 07:38 PM   #1

3051 slideout problem?

My wife and I are sitting in a RV park in our new 3051 Forester, which we picked up yesterday. So far we love it! But as we were setting up, a snowbirding RV tech, stopped to look at it and said that that slide was not in far enough and would definitely leak. It seems to work fine, but does sit about 1 - 1.25 inch from the body when shut. Never having a slide before, I asked the dealer about it, and they said it was normal and they were calibrated at the factory. Now my joy is somewhat tempered by worry. Any thoughts or similar experiences?
Also, is there a technical support number for Forest River?
Thanks, Steve
cundie11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 09:29 AM   #2
Commercial Member

If the bulb seal is sealing, you should be fine. I'll check with production and see if it can be brought in another 1/4 to 1/2".

Subscribe for "How To" videos and updates https://www.youtube.com/c/DynamaxRVs/

Sales-Service-Parts https://dynamaxcorp.com/contact-us
bclemens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 04:22 PM   #3

Thanks, bclemens. It looks like the front and rear seals are making contact but not compressing much , if any. The bottom is not contacting the slide much at all. I'm saying this from memory, since I'm away from the coach right now. But we'll be driving home Sat with 80℅ chance of rain, so I'll report back. Anything in particular to look for?
Thanks again, Steve
Old 02-21-2013, 04:24 PM   #4
Commercial Member

water. lol

Old 02-21-2013, 06:01 PM   #5
Plain Old Member

Yours is too loose, mine is too tight. Gotta love slide outs. I'm still wondering if there is supposed to be "In Stops" on the lippert above floor system. There are "Out Stops" which can easily be adjusted for the extended position. Small piece of metal with an allen set screw on each rail. Seems like mine should have ones to keep it from coming in so far. Maybe Steve's has an adjustable stop preventing it from coming in far enough. I've just learned to stop mine just shy of the clutch clicking and it looks better.
2013 Ford F-350 Lariat CC LB PSD
2015 SOB TT - With OC's Awning Poles (#8)
At least in Heaven, RVs will be perfect, and I won't have to keep fixing them.
BigJohnD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 12:52 PM   #6
Plain Old Member

Never mind last post. Think the 3051 full wall is the Schwintek slide out, which is still Lippert. Whole different deal there. I'll have to dig up a PDF manual I had from the last MH. Is it both ends that are stopping shy, or just one end. There is a way to resyncronize the 2 motors if it's just one end more than the other. Lots of info on a google search. You might have an answer before I can find that PDF.
Old 02-25-2013, 08:33 AM   #7

Thanks, BigJohnD. At the rear, the slide is parallel to the body, out about an inch,and the rubber bulb is contacting the slide. The front is closer at the top, probably 3/4" and the bottom is about 1 1/2" out and the bulb is about 3/8" from contacting the slide. Since I was heading into rain, I bought some auto weather stripping and mounted it on the slide right in front of the factory weather stripping. We drove through moderate rain, and could find no signs of a leak, then or later, camping in the rain with the slide out.
So my concern is, if it's not leaking, and it moves in and out smoothly with no jerking or binding, should I leave well enough alone? I do have experience in "If it ain't broke, fix it until it is"! That is, unless I can get to the Factory, as I think you are doing.
Thoughts? Thanks, Steve
Old 02-25-2013, 09:08 AM   #8
Commercial Member

Don't forget that are dual slide seals (what I call sweeper seals or blades) that also contact the slideout sidewall. The bulb seal is just on the outside. You can always take it in to the dealer see if they can adjust so all the bulbs seals compress at least a bit.

Old 02-25-2013, 11:15 AM   #9
Plain Old Member

From what experience I have with the Schwinteks (Had 2 of them prior and 1 now), they always pulled in very even (front, back top and bottom), provided everything is syncronized. 1 motor (at top), one shaft, 2 gears on each end of the slide. The motor isn't the most friendly thing to get to. I can't remember how the gear and shafts are connected, but it almost sounds like something needs to be disconnected, realligned and reconnected to correct the top to bottom difference. I know it's not broke, but it isn't right for sure. Just know that it is very fixable. The Schwintek has been known to get out of sync end to end, but I've never heard of top to bottom being different. As bclemens mentioned, there is an inner and outer wiper around the slide, so water probably won't get in anyway. I've managed to adjust mine where it's just about as close as can be to even, but that's a whole different set up. I'm at work, so it may take a little more time for me to research.
Old 02-26-2013, 08:28 AM   #10
Plain Old Member

Steve, check out the 2 attachments. I think they're the same stuff, one is just more in depth. Definitely some good info to have. I keep a copy with all the other MH manuals. Seems like the manuals you need, the manufacturer doesn't provide. I've had to download quite a few, and bclemens has helped me with a lot of other info that just isn't included in the pile of paperwork you get. YouTube also has a world of info on these slideouts, how to syncronize, how to remove the motor and so on, depending on the problem.

The manual has a section about manual mode jog, which will allow you to adjust each end of the slide individually (out of sync) in or out to even it up. This might solve part of your problem. There is also a stall adjustment which controls how tight it pulls in. This may be a small part of the problem as well, but you'd have to be extra careful with this adjustmnet. If you can locate the controller (mine is under the bed), then you can try some of these things. Not sure where it's at in your model. Usually, if the manufacturer is kind enough, they are easy to get to.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Schwintek Slide Outs 2.pdf (695.9 KB, 257 views)
File Type: pdf Schwintek Slide Outs.pdf (127.5 KB, 181 views)
Old 02-26-2013, 10:49 AM   #11

Thanks, John. Looks like valuable information!
Old 02-26-2013, 01:42 PM   #12
Commercial Member

The slide out "brain" is behind the access panel below the range top drawers.

Old 03-12-2013, 05:20 PM   #13

Thanks, bclemens. My local dealer is discussing it with a Lippert rep, who asked for some pictures.
Old 05-28-2013, 09:23 AM   #14

Not to belittle the knowledge and issue but I also noticed this same thing on my unit. Come to find out it was just a pillow and blanket where the bed comes in to touch the closet. I liked the idea it stopped without closing on too much force.
grega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 07:59 AM   #15

Thanks. I'll check for that.
Old 05-29-2013, 08:21 AM   #16

The full slide mechanism has a safety device that stops it in either direction from obstacles. The manufactures video shows its operation by using a plastic bucket. Always check your bedroom floor especially the back wall for items that could fall when closing.

I DO NOT use the two rear bedroom open cabinet pockets for storage because there is no door to keep items in. But, I have thought of getting a single door made for that use.

Tim
trwmodela is offline   Reply With Quote