Old 10-26-2013, 03:19 PM   #1

#3051S Camping at 22 degees!

I have been camping in my 2013 Forester #3051S since July 1st in the mountains of Franklin, North Carolina.

Last night was the first time temperatures reached well below freezing (22 degrees).

This morning there was no water from the sinks. So, I checked my fresh water hose, pressure regulator and the campground water valve were all frozen. The previous night temperatures only reached 32 degrees and the water was still flowing.

Luckily, I had some water in my onboard fresh water tank. After turning on the pump, water was again flowing from the faucets. In a few hours, I was able to get the ice out of my water hose by placing it in the tub to thaw. I also brought my water regulator and Cameo water filter inside to thaw. It was a learning lesson, as I was not the only one with a frozen water hose. The brass Y, I use on the campground water connection froze and split (only damage).

My propane furnace was used all night for heating. I normally set the thermostat around 63 degrees and use one blanket on the bed. BTW…my Heat Pump worked down to 40 degrees before shutting down. It is possible to use the Heat Pump during the day if the temperatures rise. This does conserve propane but the heat is uneven and only reaches about waist height.

I have an external 4.6 gallon, 20 lb propane tank connected to my main propane regulator. This allows me to only burn fuel from the 20 lb tank and carry it down to the camp office for refilling. If I run out of fuel my on-board tank is still full and can be used. Makes no sense having to drive my RV to the camp office because my propane tank is low.

My backup heating source is a small electric ceramic heater. I use this at times instead of the propane furnace. But, I DO NOT sleep with the ceramic heater on.
Tonight, I will disconnect my water hose, regulator and Cameo filter and use a small compressor to blow the lines empty. Also, by shutting off the campground water value it drains to prevent freezing similar to a fire hydrant.

November 1st I starting heading to Southwest, Florida….home!

Only RV repair needed when I get home: is a replacement Onan generator fuel pump that starting leaving a raw gasoline odor inside coach after running. I already called a Cummins Onan dealer in Fort Myers, FL and they have the upgraded replacement pumps in stock.

I was a great summer in my new Forester #3051S

Next RV trip is January 2014 to Flywheelers Antique Engine Show in Avon Park, FL.

2013 Forester #3051SF
2009 Toyoda Tacoma (toad)
2010 Newmar Dutchstar (Sold)
2011 Fleetwood Bounder (Sold)
trwmodela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 09:32 AM   #2
GM

Nice to hear the interior lines did not freeze (I'm assuming) and it was just the outside line coming in.

PLEASE do not send questions via Private Message. Post questions in the forum as a new thread so that other users can benefit from the answers. Use Private Messages for sensitive information only. Our owners manuals are available online and via iPhone/Android Apps. http://www.dynamaxcorp.com/OnlineManual.aspx
bclemens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 09:47 AM   #3

Can't you use a heated blanket in your rig. That is what we use for those really cold encounters. Nice and toasty.
Old 10-28-2013, 12:46 PM   #4

We also camped in the low 20s this weekend in our 3051. We were boondocking/tailgating at the VA Tech game (ugh!) so we didn't have any hookups to freeze. No problems. We used our Honda 2000W gen to save fuel and noise. It did fine though the microwave seemed to about max it out. Love this RV!! Two small issues from our last trip are the bathroom fan quit working and the lower part of the entrance handle continues to lose chrome and has started to pit.
Old 10-28-2013, 12:55 PM   #5

Tim ~ you'll be in town for the FROG rally in Sarasota, no? My uncles frequently do the flywheeler thing though we have not been. I hear its really neat
Old 10-28-2013, 03:25 PM   #6

Yes, one could use a headed blanket on the bed instead of the propane furnace. But your furnace needs to run at night so heat gets into your holding tank compartment. The propane furnace keeps me very comfortable sleeping at 63 degrees with a blanket on the bed.

My fresh water tank did back fill to 2/3 the night is was 22 degrees. I assume when the outside hose froze it stopped filling. The only thing that is odd the grey water is reading full and it is empty. Next time I will place one of my small ceramic heaters in the compartment where the fresh water pump and filter are located.

Yes, I am going (RV style) to Flywheelers Antique Engine & Tractor Show in January. I usually arrive on Tuesday and depart on Sunday.

Florida Flywheelers Antique Engine Club - Motels

2013 Forester #3051SF
Old 10-28-2013, 03:27 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by clancythecamper View Post
Tim ~ you'll be in town for the FROG rally in Sarasota, no? My uncles frequently do the flywheeler thing though we have not been. I hear its really neat

I will not be at the FROG Rally in Sarasota but home in Fort Myers, FL.

2013 Forester #3051SF
Old 10-28-2013, 05:35 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by trwmodela View Post
Yes, one could use a headed blanket on the bed instead of the propane furnace. But your furnace needs to run at night so heat gets into your holding tank compartment. The propane furnace keeps me very comfortable sleeping at 63 degrees with a blanket on the bed. My fresh water tank did back fill to 2/3 the night is was 22 degrees. I assume when the outside hose froze it stopped filling. The only thing that is odd the grey water is reading full and it is empty. Next time I will place one of my small ceramic heaters in the compartment where the fresh water pump and filter are located. Yes, I am going (RV style) to Flywheelers Antique Engine & Tractor Show in January. I usually arrive on Tuesday and depart on Sunday. Florida Flywheelers Antique Engine Club - Motels
You really don't need a space heater in the compartment with water pump and filter. There's a smaller heat duct in their that will keep it plenty warm.
'94 Coleman Cedar Pop Up
paulmlac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 05:53 PM   #9

The dump valve/shore line compartment is also heated with a small duct from the LP furnace.

We camped once fully exposed to a 20 mph wind at 19 degrees overnight and both the water filter compartment and the dump valve compartment were about 55 degrees the next morning.

The heat pump efficency is not good below 50 degrees. You may was well use a space heater rather than wear out the heat pump. We sometimes use a space heater set on low to supplement the heat pump. It helps heat the lower part of the coach.
Old 10-28-2013, 09:39 PM   #10

You're so close!!!! Hey, if you know of any really good campgrounds down your way, we'd love to know about them. We were on our way home from the Keys a few weeks ago and checked out the Red Coconut ~ we were pretty disappointed with the CG and the area was very commercial ~~~ sadly ~~~~ anyway, if you know of any other real neat ones, preferably on the water, I'd love to hear about them

Tags
305, camping