Old 07-13-2016, 03:47 PM   #1

3051s fresh water drain ??

Can any of you 3051S owners tell me where the drain is for the fresh water tank? I located two tubes, one red and one blue, on the right side behind the wheels under what I thought was the fresh water tank. The red one had a pipe threaded cap on it, so I figured that was the one. I removed the cap and lots of water came out and kept coming and coming....the tank level indicator never budged from 2/3. Finally, on a hunch, I shut off the city water supply and sure enough the water stopped flowing out of the red tube. So, obviously that was not the fresh water tank drain. The blue tube is just open on the end. I need to drain my fresh water tank, but for the life of me, can't figure out where the drain is. Can anyone help?

Also, on another mystery subject....there are 2 overhead lights in the overcab bunk area, but nowhere can I find a switch to turn them on.

I'm too old to deal with these frustrations!!
Thanks for any help you can give

Toad: 2014 Honda CR-V AWD
GO DUCKS !! (Well, maybe next year)
Jim & Diana (and 3 cats)
JimOneil43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 04:31 PM   #2

There seem to be different variations of the drains on certain models and years, but yours sounds like mine. Look in the compartment above the lines. You might see the blue line with a quarter-turn valve in it. Open the valve and your fresh water tank will drain.

The red line drains your hot water piping. To drain your cold water piping, take off the filter canister.

Unless yours is different than mine.

Old 07-13-2016, 05:20 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowman9000 View Post
There seem to be different variations of the drains on certain models and years, but yours sounds like mine. Look in the compartment above the lines. You might see the blue line with a quarter-turn valve in it. Open the valve and your fresh water tank will drain.

The red line drains your hot water piping. To drain your cold water piping, take off the filter canister.

Unless yours is different than mine.
Yes...found the blue line valve and that seems to work. The tank is in process of draining right now. If I drained water out of the red tube, does that mean my water heater is now empty and will have to be re-filled before I turn it on? or will it fill automatically since the city water is connected and on?

Thanks so much for your help.
Toad: 2014 Honda CR-V AWD
GO DUCKS !! (Well, maybe next year)
Jim & Diana (and 3 cats)
JimOneil43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 05:49 PM   #4

Also, on another mystery subject....there are 2 overhead lights in the overcab bunk area, but nowhere can I find a switch to turn them on.

There should be a little button on each light that you push to turn on/off. There is no external wall switch for these lights.
HopHed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 05:53 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimOneil43 View Post
Yes...found the blue line valve and that seems to work. The tank is in process of draining right now. If I drained water out of the red tube, does that mean my water heater is now empty and will have to be re-filled before I turn it on? or will it fill automatically since the city water is connected and on?

In that case your water heater is filled.
Old 07-13-2016, 05:54 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by HopHed View Post

There should be a little button on each light that you push to turn on/off. There is no external wall switch for these lights.
Push on the lens.
Old 07-14-2016, 08:02 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by HopHed View Post

Mine are slide switches on the sides of the actual lights

https://www.visitedstatesmap.com/image/NCTNVAsm.jpg
KJcachers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 08:24 AM   #8

Actually your Forester probably has upgraded light fixtures compared to my Sunseeker. So maybe you don't just push on the lens. Sorry for any confusion.
Old 07-14-2016, 08:34 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimOneil43 View Post

It will refill the water heater from city water provided you open a hot water faucet (or the pop off on the tank itself) and allow the air to escape.

An filling an empty tank without bleeding the trapped air can ruin the electric element because it is not submerged in water.
TST Tire Monitor - Sinemate 3500w Gen.
2016 Nights Camped = 46
5picker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 08:49 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5picker View Post
It will refill the water heater from city water provided you open a hot water faucet (or the pop off on the tank itself) and allow the air to escape.

An filling an empty tank without bleeding the trapped air can ruin the electric element because it is not submerged in water.
It is my understanding that you should NOT open the pop-off relief valve on the tank to bleed air out. There is supposed to be trapped air in the top, to provide for expansion as water heats. If you bleed out that air, then your heater tank will become what they call saturated. It will bleed water out of the relief valve. I have had this happen to me. The air pocket can also become too small with normal use too. If it does, it needs to be re-established. Here is an article:

RV Water Heaters - Motorhome Water Heaters

Tags
305, drain, fresh water, water