Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-24-2014, 12:21 PM   #21
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanddc View Post
I think it is a good idea to turn it off lest we test the fates and forget and drain the hot water tank,
Yes, I can vouch for that little oversight last fall. I did that exact thing. Drained and cleaned the anode while it was hooked to shore power with the electric switch in the on position. Cost me an element AND a hi limit switch and a few blue words.
Old 06-24-2014, 12:22 PM   #22

UNFREAKING BELIEVABLE. Just went oitside, That is the dumbest thing i jave ever seen and being a mechancial contractor i have seen some bad design but this tops them all. THANKS FOR THE HELP
USNMM1VETERAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 12:23 PM   #23

Also sprry about post on water i mwant to go on other post.
Old 06-24-2014, 12:30 PM   #24

The outside switch for the water heater electric has a small pin in it to prevent accidentally turning it on. Whenever I drain the water heater, I make sure to turn off and place pin in hole in switch so that it doesn't get turned on. Being forced to remove the pin makes me think "Is there water in the heater?" Of course, accidents can still happen.

2012 Forest River Sunseeker 2300 Chevy
Old 06-24-2014, 12:33 PM   #25
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rugged Brown View Post
I question the wisdom of having the on/off switch on the outside. I always forget about it and it finally bit me. I burned the element out when I connected to shore power with no water in the tank. If it was visible inside the camper, this would not have happened.
Stupid design I'd admit.

I like mine being inside!
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 01:37 PM   #26

I turn the 15 amp breaker hot water switch off inside in the panel. That way I'm controlling the electric element from inside the motorhome and never make the mistake of turning on the outside switch when the tank is empty.

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
Rocket City Gary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 02:52 PM   #27
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocket City Gary View Post
I turn the 15 amp breaker hot water switch off inside in the panel. That way I'm controlling the electric element from inside the motorhome and never make the mistake of turning on the outside switch when the tank is empty.

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
Assuming you remember to switch the breaker 😆
Old 06-24-2014, 09:21 PM   #28

Another water heater related question, can you run both electric and gas at the same time for faster recovery?
rbetzwieser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 09:52 PM   #29
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbetzwieser View Post
Another water heater related question, can you run both electric and gas at the same time for faster recovery?
Yes, they are completely separate systems that run independently.

Gas only; AC only; or BOTH.
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 07:34 PM   #30

Well even with switch on no hot water running electric, just another item on warranty list for dealer.
Old 06-25-2014, 07:55 PM   #31

It is hard to see the switch, so you may not realize it is "backwards" from what you might expect. Pushing the bottom of the switch in is "on", top in is "off". Otherwise check circuit breaker inside. Push the two reset switches behind the black rubber shroud on outside of water heater. If all that fails, it is time for dealer since you are still under warranty.

By the way--leading cause of water heater failure is burnt out electric element because heater was turned on with no water in it. Takes about two minutes under that condition whether electric or gas turned on.

Old 09-16-2014, 04:47 PM   #32

Wow. Just reading this series of posts. I'm going to sound really dumb here but I had no idea our water heater was gas/electric!! The dealer never showed me the electric on switch on the bottom left corner. After reading this (I'm sitting in a campground right now on a 2-week camping trip) post I went and looked and sure enough, there is a switch there. We have a small piece of silver-ish tape keeping the switch in the off position but I'm assuming this is to ensure you don't run the electric element with the tank dry.

I can't believe we've been burning propane all this time for hot water.

BTW, we have a 2013 3050S and love it.

"Not all those who wander are lost..."
jimdaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 08:43 PM   #33
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimdaway View Post
Wow. Just reading this series of posts. I'm going to sound really dumb here but I had no idea our water heater was gas/electric!! The dealer never showed me the electric on switch on the bottom left corner. After reading this (I'm sitting in a campground right now on a 2-week camping trip) post I went and looked and sure enough, there is a switch there. We have a small piece of silver-ish tape keeping the switch in the off position but I'm assuming this is to ensure you don't run the electric element with the tank dry.

I can't believe we've been burning propane all this time for hot water.

BTW, we have a 2013 3050S and love it.
Hey that's how you learn!

TURBS

How can I annoy OC today?
Old 09-17-2014, 04:33 AM   #34

It's unfortunate that many dealers don't do a good job of orienting you to your new MH. But that's what we are here for. Each of us has learned something new from this forum--then passed it on to others. Enjoy!

Old 10-08-2014, 12:53 AM   #35

Ok, rookie question after reading the manual, dealer walk around and this thread. I want to get hot water for a shower. Remember the dealer saying something about the hot water tank- can not for the life of me remember. I am plugged in and city water. Do I just turn the rocker switch on the electric water heater on the convenience center and make sure no air in line and just wait for water to get hot?

Thanks.
West Cactus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 04:34 AM   #36

If this is the first time using the water heater, you need to make sure there is water in the tank. With water on (either hooked to city water, or pump on with water in fresh water tank), open the outside door on the heater. You will see a pressure relief valve near the top. It has a silver handle on it. Lift up on the handle. Air should come out at first, then water. (Stand to one side--it may spray a little), Release valve when there is water coming out. Now you are sure there is water in the tank. (You only need to do this when the tank has been drained between uses or for winterizing). The reason for doing this and not just running the hot water faucet, is because the bypass valves on the back of the heater (used for winterizing) will allow water to flow out of the faucet but there may be no water in the tank. Turning on the heater with no water in it will burn out the electric element almost instantly.

Now you are ready to turn on. If you have two switches inside for water heater (gas and electric) then just turn on the switch for whichever you want. (Assuming you are hooked to shore power for electric or gas is turned on if using it). You can actually use both for faster heating. It can take a half hour to fully heat water, so plan ahead for your shower.

Only the newest Forest River products have the Atwood heater with both switches inside. If you have a slightly older unit, then you will have a Suburban heater with only one switch inside. That is for gas heating of the water. The electric switch is behind the outside door panel of the heater in the lower left corner (somewhat hidden by the gas pipe--just feel around behind it).

Old 10-08-2014, 07:03 AM   #37
Site Team - Lou

Excellent explanation by RVBill and here are some photos to complement it.

ALWAYS confirm water is in the tank by lifting the pressure relief valve before turning on the electric element. They are a pain to change.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20120905_195213.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	29.5 KB
ID:	64333   Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20130114_101436.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	43.0 KB
ID:	64334   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rocker Switch.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	52.9 KB
ID:	64335  
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 07:20 AM   #38
Site Team

One friendly reminder for those who have 30 amp RV's and using the electric heating element (or those 50 amp RV'ers connected to a 30 amp power supply with an adapter):

At the time when the element is actually energized and heating the water, it will draw 12 amps.

You may need to be mindful of your other high draw appliances, so you won't trip breakers when the electric heating element is on.

You probably will not be able to use the air/conditioner, microwave, and heating element at the same time...... since the heating element alone will use 40% of your available 30 amps when it's energized.

Just something to remember, in case you start tripping breakers. If this happens, just practice some energy management and don't turn on certain high amp appliances at the same time. It may take a little trial and error to learn what can be on (and what must be off) at the same time.

Here is a link to a list of average current draws posted by F1100Turbo that may help everyone understand what the more common appliances use:

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...aws-17300.html

When only heating the water on propane, then that's 12 amps available for other things.

Now back to your regularly scheduled program.

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
305, hot water, tank, water, water tank