Old 12-19-2015, 10:52 PM   #1
3051s Roof top SAT install

I have an older Winegard Carryout automatic SAT dish. It works well but it's a hassle to setup. You have to put it on a stand to keep it off the ground. You have to run 12-volt power to it as well as a coax cable for the signal. To provide 12-v to it, I have a 110 to 12v converter that I've mounted in a weather-proof metal box.

It can take 45 mins to set the old dish up. So, many times I don't bother. Especially if we're only staying a day or two. That's fine we don't have to have TV all the time.

I started wondering on our last trip about mounting it permanently on the roof to simplify the process. But then I found that our dish wasn't roof mountable. But I also found that both King and Winegard now make such dishes that don't require 12-v power and are easier to set up. The new dishes cost about $350 which was half of what my previous dish cost.

I decided to buy one and mount it to the roof of my Forester 3051. To make it even easier, Forest River already has a SAT input on the roof.

Today I mounted it - a job that's super simple.

Sure a roof mount Satellite dish may not always have a clear sight to the SATs in the sky - but I'm keeping my old dish as a backup. We have a favorite spot in Colorado that I know will require the old dish - but I'll bet that about 70% of the time - especially on stop overs - I can use this new setup. The new dish requires that I turn on the receiver and enter the State we are in. That's it. Nothing more.

Here's a photo of the install. Just screw down the dish. Dab some Dicor on everything. Then put Dicor tape on the RG6 cable connected to the existing SAT input and BOOM you're done.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	sat-install.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	375.1 KB
ID:	96467  

2015 Forester 3051S
TOAD: 2016 Lincoln MKX
Creativepart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2015, 11:10 PM   #2
CreativePart-Nice install!. Is it up front near the coax plug on the roof, I see tape? Where did you put your receiver? Any inverter? I am looking at the Dish Tailgater and making a ladder mount.

2004 Winnebago Minnie 22e(went to a nice family Oct 3, 2015)
2016 Forester 2701DS (Aug 31, 2015)
2015 Camping 3 trips 6 nights
2016 Camping 9 trips 28 nights
Sagecoachdriver is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2015, 11:22 PM   #3
The factory installed input was about 8' behind where I put the dish. It was at the front edge of the mid-coach vent.

On the 3051s it terminates as the middle coax connection between the two cable connectors (the ones with a short jumper loop) next to the tv.

I put the receiver in that same corner just sitting on the over cab bunk. The receiver is short enough that the tv can swing freely over the receiver on the tv mount.

We don't have an inverter, but we could use a small portable one there if we wanted to. There is 12-v right there and the receiver doesn't need much wattage.

PS I put the dish far forward to keep the line of sight clear from the vents when opened and the AC shroud.
2015 Forester 3051S
TOAD: 2016 Lincoln MKX
Creativepart is offline   Reply With Quote

305, roo, roof