Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-19-2013, 11:09 PM   #1

3051S Self leveling system

I am a new camper who bought a new 2013 Forester 3051 and had the dealer add a self leveling system.

When I picked up the Motorhome my father in law mentioned to me and the dealer that the leveling system appeared to be very low when in the upright position.

The service manager insisted that this was normal and stated that even with the factory installed self leveling system that the jacks were very low.

Being my first RV I just assumed this was the way it was.....first mistake was making this assumption.

After our first weekend trip out I bottomed out three times......including once while leaving Camping World's parking lot.

Anyways....I of course complained and they stated they would order a new leveling system and that it would arrive in about a week.

So after a week I call and never seem to get ahold of the service manager. After numerous calls and messages left with the service manager I get a call tonight that the new levelers finally arrived. I'm dropping if off on Monday and they stated it should be completed by Thursday. Keeping my fingers crossed as I already have a few hundred spent on a trip we leave on Friday for.

Now my question is whether or not anyone has had a self leveling system added to a forester 3051 and if so do they have any problems and what is the brand?

This "add-on" was an additional $4500 so it's not an inexpensive add-on.

Bclemens.....maybe you can answer my question.

Other than this I was extremely pleased with this Motorhome.....my father in law just traded in his class A for a 30' Winnebago and I believe our Forester is much better laid out.

Any help answering my questions before Monday would be greatly appreciated.
2SGMRET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 09:35 AM   #2

I can't comment on the leveling system but I do know that Class C units in general drag their rears on inclines and transitions at gas stations and driveways. Hence the installed "V" brackets on your rear hitch. It's something you need to be cautious of as a motorhome owner.
mwebber78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 01:43 PM   #3

It was the front self leveling jacks that bottomed out three times including once in Camping Worlds parking lot.

Have not had any issues with the back of the Motorhome.
Old 04-20-2013, 03:11 PM   #4
Commercial Member

What leveling system did they install? We do the Big Foot system at the factory, but it is custom built for us by Quadra to increase clearance and reduce the weight of the jack system.

The only other one that I know of that might work is the HWH telescopic system. But when we quoted it, it was more expensive, more hydraulic lines AND they still only used it in the rear? Which led us to wonder if it wasn't that reliable so they only used it where they had to. Speculation for sure...the BigFoot system has worked well for us and is pretty cost effective compared to what's out there. Roughly $3000 MSRP from the factory

Subscribe for "How To" videos and updates https://www.youtube.com/c/DynamaxRVs/

Sales-Service-Parts https://dynamaxcorp.com/contact-us
bclemens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 03:27 PM   #5

We have a '13 3100. We added a Bigfoot auto system aftermarket directly with Quadra Jacks. At our request, they did some tinkering to get them as high up on the frame as possible. More so on the rear as our driveway has a slope and we need to back up it. They did a great job. We have put probably 2500 mostly highway miles (but also in and out of towns, gas stations, stores, Disney, etc) on the unit since getting the jacks installed and haven't bottomed out once yet. And the 2000 mile Disney trip was under a very heavy load. I hit curbs real slow and at an angle as I am nervous about bottoming out in general but especially so with the jacks (have this fear of one snapping off on a curb). Sounds like your fronts might be too low.
'94 Coleman Cedar Pop Up
paulmlac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 06:52 PM   #6

Your front dragged? How did the installer ever let you drive off with a unit like that???
mwebber78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 07:09 PM   #7

I'm not sure the model as I don't have the Motorhome at my house and yes the front dragged.
Old 04-21-2013, 07:59 PM   #8

The factory installed FR units have great clearance. The problem is with a Class C to get that clearance you give up cylinder stroke length so it is not very effective especially in the front. If the campsite slopes any more than a couple inches you run out of stroke before the coach gets level. At the suggestion of an engineer at Big Foot I added 2 inch blocks to the front jacks. Installing 2 inch longer cylinders would be much better but the cost to make the change was not worth it. I also carry leveling blocks to help stabilize since fully extended cylinders are like a long wobbly table leg.
ATVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 08:11 AM   #9

Somewhat related to your post ATVer but what's the thought on using Lego levelers under the Bigfoot jacks (given the shorter stroke issue). Would they crush or hold up ok?
'94 Coleman Cedar Pop Up
Old 04-22-2013, 12:00 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulmlac View Post
Somewhat related to your post ATVer but what's the thought on using Lego levelers under the Bigfoot jacks (given the shorter stroke issue). Would they crush or hold up ok?
The 2" blocks I bolted to the front feet also make them larger (about 11") like the ones you would get if you bought the jack system directly from BigFoot. The blocks I carry are just short enough to fit under the feet so as soon as the cylinders start to move they are lifting the coach. Thus you get the maximum out of the stroke available and minimize the long wobbly leg issue. I made my blocks from wood but Lego levelers should also work. They shouldn't crush because the contact patch of the jack foot is larger than the tire contact patch.
ATVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 12:32 PM   #11
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulmlac View Post
I've used them under my front landing gear on my 13k fifth wheel. Their instructions do say to go no more than 4-blocks high.
Old 04-22-2013, 09:40 PM   #12

Brought Motorhome to the dealer today to get leveling system fixed. They originally installed a bullseye leveling system on our 3051. When I inquired about how they were going to resolve it they informed me that they had ordered a set of folding legs for the bullseye system. I researched online the bullseye system and it states that it does work with a Class C. However, I'm still upset that they charged me $4500 for a leveling system that costs $2500 retail......I'm sure they got a dealer cost but even if they didn't....$2000 for installation??? I went with the dealer because I thought they represented the quality of forest river...very frustrating.
Old 04-22-2013, 09:56 PM   #13
Commercial Member

$2500 for what system? We use a Bigfoot system not Bullseye.

Old 04-22-2013, 10:09 PM   #14

The bullseye system is what was installed on our 3051. I was charged $4500 from the dealer at closing to add a self leveling system. The bullseye is a $2500 system retail price.
Old 04-23-2013, 07:34 AM   #15
Commercial Member

I don't know enough about the system, but I know for ours we have to weld brackets onto the frame to accept the jack mounts. It's not just plug and play.

I work with dealers across the country and most dealers charge $4500-$5500 for auto leveling jack installation. Whether its high or not...that seems to be the going rate.

Old 05-19-2013, 04:04 PM   #16
Love My Sunseeker

Good to know this, as I have "dragged rear" on every Class C I have owned. Especially getting on and off Ferries. I hold my breath when getting on a ferry. I always thought it was my Blue Ox Scooter carrier that was dragging. I have a Blue Ox carrier, it's meant for the "Scooter Store" type of scooters, but I have a regular bike scooter, I put two wood rails on it, and I take my electric bike scooter on it. I like it because it folds up when I don't need it. Other bike carriers don't fold up like this one does.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwebber78 View Post
I can't comment on the leveling system but I do know that Class C units in general drag their rears on inclines and transitions at gas stations and driveways. Hence the installed "V" brackets on your rear hitch. It's something you need to be cautious of as a motorhome owner.

I love my Sunseeker, when I'm on a trip I don't wanna go home!!!"

Total days camping each year: AS MUCH AS POSSIBLE!
DXSMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 12:04 AM   #17

We have had the Bullseye for less than 1 year on our 2013 3010 Sunseeker and they keep sticking. I just spent an hour trying to get them back up as a motor is out. Looking to possibly replace with Bigfoot system. Any suggestions for what bigfoot model to go with? Looking for dealer in Northwest Washington to install...
JMAS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 01:44 PM   #18
Commercial Member

I don't actually know the model since its custom built for us. I'll email Quadra and see if they ever gave it a model number.

Old 05-22-2013, 01:54 PM   #19
Commercial Member

Quadra tells me the part number for the Sunseeker is QEAM-13. They still need to know what model you have to make floor plan specific adjustments.

Old 05-23-2013, 07:55 PM   #20

JMAS -

We have a '13 3100. Had Quadra put a system on at their Michigan facility. I know it's too far for you but they were outstanding to work with (they hiked up the back cylinders a little more than normal as we back into a sloped driveway). The invoice shows the model number as QEIAM-1214C. It's the four pump auto system. I went back and forth between four pump (Bigfoot series) and single pump (EZ series). Might have gone single pump if had to do over. We are weekend warriors and believe that would have been sufficient for our needs. It comes down to what you want to spend, your needs, etc.

By the way, when you say "what Bigfoot model", note that Bigfoot is the model name (four pump). EZ is the other model name (single pump). You probably mean to say what Quadra model.

Good luck!
'94 Coleman Cedar Pop Up