Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-27-2014, 06:52 PM   #41

Well back from the first real trip in the rv. I learned a lot about the tow/haul switch on the drive. First if pushed in and going down a hill and you press the brakes it downshifts hard to slow you down and to get it out of this slow gear you either have to get out of tow mode or hit level road and it comes down. What happened was going down from Donegal to new Stanton I had the tow engaged and it was maintaining about 55 mpg at about 3500rpms, then I just slightly depressed the brakes on a turn and it quickly suited and started going 450 rep and really slowing me down. Now I needed to keep up speed and when I depressed accelerator it stayed in a low gear RPM'S going up to 5200 and not really speeding up. I had to disengage the tow get it back to normal then re engage tow switch. I don't know if this is normal, it was like the computer said " oh **** he hit the brakes I need to help him slow down fast", but it just seems weird that I can't speed up after hitting the brakes. Now for the performance of the unit's living space is for another thread and complaining about workmanship of cabinets.

Sent from my SM-T900 using Forest River Forums mobile app
USNMM1VETERAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 07:20 AM   #42

Not sure why you are concerned with the Tow mode if you are not towing. If you are going down hill, hit the cruise control and let the brain do it's thing...it works great.
Old 05-29-2014, 08:50 AM   #43

No I AM towing, it just seems that once it is in computer control the only way out is to disengage which seems like could be a little dangerous down a steep hill. Like it gears down on steep hill on m highway, you are maintaining 55 now the road levels out foe just a short bit and you drop speed quickly, so I hit the accelerator to get some speed back and RPM'S go way high over 5300 and I don't gain speed. The only way to keep m up speed and not get rear ended is to get out of tow get some speed back and then throw it back into tow again when the road gets steep again. On the Pa. turnpike the on areas like this, I'll call them ledges, and when you have 18 wheelers behind you and beside you the last thing you want to do is decelerate quickly. I think it's just me getting used to how the engine and tow mode work.

Sent from my SM-T900 using Forest River Forums mobile app
USNMM1VETERAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 01:58 PM   #44

Okay, makes sense. Once we get a Toad, I'm going to program it with a TOW tune from 5 Star to avoid all those annoying shifting issues.

I think Ford programs all of their units with a generic tune regardless of what's going on top. Probably why some like it and some hate it.

Tags