Old 05-18-2014, 03:18 PM   #1

3051s tow/haul switch

Hello, we'll winter finally let go here in Pittsburgh and getting ready for first big trip in the rv. I am towing my car behind and took it out for a short test run today to make sure nothing fell off and the car stayed hooked up. Glad to report it was a successful test run, except for one thing BIG HILLS. I have a tow/haul switch and pushed it in on the highway and would like to know if someone could write the proper way to use the switch. When to engage it, disengage it, what sounds and RPM'S I should expect to see. Also when going down steep hills should I still shift to lower gear or will switch do it automatically. Thank you in advance for your help.

Sent from my SM-T900 using Forest River Forums mobile app

Old 05-18-2014, 03:24 PM   #2

Some here run with the tow/haul on when towing flat or other wise.
I am one of those.
I have to push mine after starting the truck and leave it that way till I shut the truck off (cruise control is the same way).

My suggestion is try it several ways and find out what works best for your rig.

Old 05-18-2014, 03:26 PM   #3

I haven't towed with my V10, but back when I had my TT Tow mode really helped.

If you don't like how it shifts in either regular mode or Tow mode I highly recommend the 5 Star tune. Our shifting was a nervous wreck going through rolling hills or any kind of grade changes in roads. The 5 Star tune took care of that plus more.
Old 05-18-2014, 03:56 PM   #4

Sorry but what is the 5 Star Tune?

Sent from my SM-T900 using Forest River Forums mobile app
Old 05-18-2014, 04:01 PM   #5

Here you go: Got a V10 RV ยป 5 Star Tuning
Old 05-20-2014, 07:22 AM   #6

Be careful with these ECM/PCM Map upgrades. As a Master Tuner, I tell my customers that this PCM software upgrade could/will void any manufacture warranty on the vehicle! When your vehicle goes in for maintenance at the Ford dealership, they often check the PCM to update it. My 2013 has already had an update to the PCM from Ford about 6 weeks ago. All I am saying is if you want to flash your ECU/PCM then be prepared to loose your powertrain warranty from Ford. Something to think about....
2013 Elantra GT (Toad)
WashU EMBA "39
ourflat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 07:43 AM   #7

If possible, re-flash the PCM back to 'Stock' before going to the dealership.
1986 Marriage to "Wifey" (patience of a saint)
rattleNsmoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 07:47 AM   #8

I've tuned most of my cars and have never had a problem with warranties. I always revert back to stock programming, if for some reason, the vehicle needs to go in for service.

I personally have never heard of anyone being denied or having a warranty voided. I'm sure it's happened, but probably to idiots not knowing what they are doing and blow up an engine.

Mike at 5 Star isn't Bubba at the end of the street messing around with parameters.

Don't be spooked, before you know it, someone will tell you that the CHF will also void your warranty.
Old 05-20-2014, 07:56 AM   #9

Understand your points but before you flash your ECU/PCM talk to the Ford Dealership 1st. This isn't about spooking anyone, it's about being fully informed. I have seen dealerships decline warranty repairs. You can reflash the ECU/PCM back to stock but the binary checksum will be altered and that is what the dealership looks for....
2013 Elantra GT (Toad)
WashU EMBA "39
ourflat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 07:57 AM   #10
Infractee

Quote:
Originally Posted by ourflat View Post
Be careful with these ECM/PCM Map upgrades. As a Master Tuner, I tell my customers that this PCM software upgrade could/will void any manufacture warranty on the vehicle! When your vehicle goes in for maintenance at the Ford dealership, they often check the PCM to update it. My 2013 has already had an update to the PCM from Ford about 6 weeks ago. All I am saying is if you want to flash your ECU/PCM then be prepared to loose your powertrain warranty from Ford. Something to think about....
Have had my 5 star tuner on my truck for 5 years now with ZERO harmfull effects. When my truck was still in warranty I would remove the tune and reinstall the stock tune before taking it in to dealer, about a 10 minute job. The performance gains for towing are outstanding and I would not be without them.
Once you do a tune you would not be without them either.

I use the 87 perf tune for daily driving and local towing, towing in hilly areas I switch to the 91 perf tune and it is night/day difference.

Also, according to the Moss/Magnuson Warranty act, adding non factory items does not void your warranty, the burden would be on Ford to prove that my mod caused damage to a warrantable item.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Forest River Forums mobile app

Tags