Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-20-2015, 01:03 PM   #1

3051s Wheel Simulator Oval Hole Sizing?

I plan on replacing my valve stems with brass dually stems that have a rubber stabilizer to hold the valve stem rigid in the simulator hole.

I measured my simulators and the hole appears to be 2 1/4" by 1/1/4". Can that be correct? By eye the tape seemed to read 2 3/4' by 1 3/4' but I traced the opening with a pencil and when I measure it it's the smaller number.

When I look online I don't see anything like that size. They are hard to measure because of the dishing of the simulator.

Does anyone here know what the correct size is??
Old 10-21-2015, 11:54 AM   #2

The oval wheel holes match the ovals on my wheels and brass extended valves line up perfectly. I'm not sure what you mean by rubber stabilizer, I have rigid truck style valve extentions that attach right into the wheel and they don't move.
poppytoymaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2015, 12:21 PM   #3
Wait till next year...

Creativepart check out Sagecoachdrivers post in this thread http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...ers-89658.html. I have braided extentions popriveted to simulator but i'm going to add stabilizers to rim holes
2023 Geo Pro FD19 "Almost there"
2022 Race Car Red HR Long Ford Transit 250 "The Iwish Roamer"
n-e-d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2015, 01:27 PM   #4

Thanks poppy and ned, I've seen those. I'm wanting to use solid brass extenstions that are permanent, not screw on. And, They come with a rubber "plug" that fits into the simulator "hand hole" to secure the stem. With these you can use TPMS systems that screw on to the end of the stem without worry of losing them.

I thought maybe someone knew the hole sizing. I'll go out to my RV at the storage place and measure again.

Here's a photo of type of stem I'm looking at - you need the correct hole sizing for that rubber stabilizer plug:

Old 10-22-2015, 03:21 PM   #5

Mine are permanently installed into the wheel and the tire monitering system installed. If they're rigid why the rubber inserts.
poppytoymaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2015, 03:41 PM   #6

Because with the wheel turning at 60 mph that 6" long rigid stem is going to oscillate especially with the TPMS valve cap on the end.
Old 10-22-2015, 05:48 PM   #7

Creativepart,

When you figure out which set fits can you post the part number? I like the idea of the rubber grommet.

Thanks,

Scott
Old 11-06-2015, 05:12 PM   #8

OK, I did find the answer to this question - I emailed the folks at Borg Supply. Turns out the valve stabilizers go in the wheel and not the Simulator. The whole in the wheel should be 4 1/4 by 2 1/4 Football shaped.

I haven't confirmed this yet, but will soon.

The parts to do the entire Coach are:

DL1FC - for the duallys :DL1FC Chrome Dually Valve Kit
and 2 ea VHVS8225 Front stems: VHVS8225 Reverse Mount Valve Stem Straight Qty:1

At least that's what the support guy told me. I haven't verified this yet.
Old 11-06-2015, 05:23 PM   #9
Wait till next year...

Ordered the rubber stabilizers from shinnywheelsrv and gave up last weekend trying to get them in. Going to try these weekend using a heat gun to flex them up a bit
2023 Geo Pro FD19 "Almost there"
2022 Race Car Red HR Long Ford Transit 250 "The Iwish Roamer"
n-e-d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2015, 01:24 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Creativepart View Post
OK, I did find the answer to this question - I emailed the folks at Borg Supply. Turns out the valve stabilizers go in the wheel and not the Simulator. The whole in the wheel should be 4 1/4 by 2 1/4 Football shaped.

I haven't confirmed this yet, but will soon.

The parts to do the entire Coach are:

DL1FC - for the duallys :DL1FC Chrome Dually Valve Kit
and 2 ea VHVS8225 Front stems: VHVS8225 Reverse Mount Valve Stem Straight Qty:1

At least that's what the support guy told me. I haven't verified this yet.
I finally ordered these in chrome rather than brass and had Discount Tire install them today. It was a ton of work and took the guy 3-hours. They charged me $150 which seemed right for 6-tires.

I'm super impressed with them. All stems are very rigid and easy to access. Much better than stock. They are so easy to reach now I'm going to wait and see on adding TPMS.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpeg
Views:	161
Size:	158.8 KB
ID:	96996  
Old 12-30-2015, 04:23 AM   #11

Quote:
I finally ordered these in chrome rather than brass and had Discount Tire install them today. It was a ton of work and took the guy 3-hours. They charged me $150 which seemed right for 6-tires.

I'm super impressed with them. All stems are very rigid and easy to access. Much better than stock. They are so easy to reach now I'm going to wait and see on adding TPMS.
When I did my old Winnebago, I had to trim the REAR wheel simulator stem openings to fit the longer stems. Otherwise, they wouldn't mount.. Did you encounter the same problem? With those stems, you can only rotate the tires on same axle. But that's OK. these ties don't wear out, they die from old age or ozone cracking.
2018 Camping 10 trips 38 nights
2019 Camping 6 trips 19 nights
2020 Camping 0 trips Cancellations 6
Sagecoachdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2015, 10:09 AM   #12

There were no issues at all. Just a lot of work. I knew about the rotating, but doubt I would rotate those tires anyway.

Each tire had to be broken down and rebalanced. At first the installer misread the instructions and thought the outer tire stem went through the stabilizer. But I caught it before he installed the tire.

It was an expensive upgrade - about $300 for parts and installation. But I could see the benefit immediately. Especially since my 3051S came from the dealership without ANY inner wheel stem extensions. And the outer wheel extensions were leaking air.

Before this I had to remove the simulator and use a long reach air chuck to test and fill the inner wheels - quite a hassle. And, now, if I do move forward with TPMS I know my valve stems are up for the job.
Old 12-30-2015, 12:36 PM   #13

Quote:
There were no issues at all. Just a lot of work. I knew about the rotating, but doubt I would rotate those tires anyway.

Each tire had to be broken down and rebalanced. At first the installer misread the instructions and thought the outer tire stem went through the stabilizer. But I caught it before he installed the tire.

It was an expensive upgrade - about $300 for parts and installation. But I could see the benefit immediately. Especially since my 3051S came from the dealership without ANY inner wheel stem extensions. And the outer wheel extensions were leaking air.

Before this I had to remove the simulator and use a long reach air chuck to test and fill the inner wheels - quite a hassle. And, now, if I do move forward with TPMS I know my valve stems are up for the job.
I know it's much easier to check the air with those permanent metal valves. It's worth the peace of mind you get knowing you won't come out one morning and find a flat because of leaking extension.
Going off topic for a moment. Creativepart, doing the last minute preps before your big trip next week? Does your MH have the heat pump and will you use it in Tucson, and did you install the propane extender kit?
2018 Camping 10 trips 38 nights
2019 Camping 6 trips 19 nights
2020 Camping 0 trips Cancellations 6
Sagecoachdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2015, 12:51 PM   #14

Yes, we have the Heat Pump. But I doubt we'll use it in Tuscon. We live in A/C year round here and any opportunity to not have the A/C unit blowing is a good deal. We filled up with 9 lbs of Propane and will use that. The RV park has propane available so if we run low we'll just pay for more.

And, no, I didn't add the extender kit. I don't want to lug a separate propane tank with us.

We'll try using the electric water heater - something we don't usually do. And see if that makes a difference.

We did add an extension to one of the inner tires and sure enough the tire was flat 3-days later. I did not trust them after that.

Tags
305, wheel