Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-20-2013, 08:33 PM   #1
Plain Old Member

3121 Closet Access Panel

For those with the 3121 / 3120 models, just thought I'd post this. I've said several times, I like to check all water connections during pdi or when I get the RV home. There are those few areas in some that you just can't get to, like the main water inlet and outside shower connections in the void under the closet in ours. To remedy this, I just cut a hole in the bottom of the closet. I could've carefully removed the existing floor, but it was thin and I wanted thicker, so figured I'd just add to it. Never mind the terrible looking new panel. It's luan and all I had at the time. It will be replaced with 1/4" maple veneer plywood soon. Now, I have the peace of mind that all is well in there. If you did have a slow leak in there, you probably wouldn't know it until the carpet / wood was soaked. Better safe than sorry. I also made the wood enclosure to the left side of the bed with a removable panel. On that one, I carefully removed the veneered panel, removed the staples and reinstalled with some nice screws. One more to go, under the bathroom sink.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3484320135.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	46.5 KB
ID:	26012   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2014287727.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	48.0 KB
ID:	26013  
2013 Ford F-350 Lariat CC LB PSD
2015 SOB TT - With OC's Awning Poles (#8)
At least in Heaven, RVs will be perfect, and I won't have to keep fixing them.
BigJohnD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 07:48 AM   #2

If your near the factory or if you call the factory have them send you two pieces the same size, laminate them together with Liquid Nails Industrial and you'd have a double thick piece that's an exact match.
mwebber78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 08:44 PM   #3
Plain Old Member

Thanks mwebber. I'm actually in Ft. Wayne indiana now, headed to Elkhart tomorrow. We have an appointment Monday for all the stuff I've discussed on here. I'll try to remember to ask for a couple of pieces.
Old 03-26-2013, 09:41 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJohnD View Post
For those with the 3121 / 3120 models, just thought I'd post this. I've said several times, I like to check all water connections during pdi or when I get the RV home. There are those few areas in some that you just can't get to, like the main water inlet and outside shower connections in the void under the closet in ours. To remedy this, I just cut a hole in the bottom of the closet. I could've carefully removed the existing floor, but it was thin and I wanted thicker, so figured I'd just add to it. Never mind the terrible looking new panel. It's luan and all I had at the time. It will be replaced with 1/4" maple veneer plywood soon. Now, I have the peace of mind that all is well in there. If you did have a slow leak in there, you probably wouldn't know it until the carpet / wood was soaked. Better safe than sorry. I also made the wood enclosure to the left side of the bed with a removable panel. On that one, I carefully removed the veneered panel, removed the staples and reinstalled with some nice screws. One more to go, under the bathroom sink.

Your way offers a better view but I removed the lower drawer and cut a viewing window in the side panel which is good enough to see a leak. I noticed you may also have the same piping configuration as I had which bypasses the water filter when hooked up to city water. Do you have two blue lines and one red going out the right side or just one blue and one red?
ATVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 08:09 AM   #5
Plain Old Member

Mwebber, I did manage to get a piece of the matched wall board yesterday. ATVer, I'll have to look a little closer. I do know on the water filter side, there are 2 lines feeding to the input side of the filter. One from the pump, and a second one that T's in. That second line is coming from the drivers side. Should be right but I'll look again. I was also thinking of adding a small vent on the panel below the tall doors to provide more heat / air circulation to this area void area. I hadn't had any freezing of lines while in 20 deg weather for a few days. I had a temp sensor in the bay by the filter housing and it never got below mid to upper 40's. that was keeping the furnace set in the low 60's.
Old 03-27-2013, 11:20 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJohnD View Post
Mwebber, I did manage to get a piece of the matched wall board yesterday. ATVer, I'll have to look a little closer. I do know on the water filter side, there are 2 lines feeding to the input side of the filter. One from the pump, and a second one that T's in. That second line is coming from the drivers side. Should be right but I'll look again. I was also thinking of adding a small vent on the panel below the tall doors to provide more heat / air circulation to this area void area. I hadn't had any freezing of lines while in 20 deg weather for a few days. I had a temp sensor in the bay by the filter housing and it never got below mid to upper 40's. that was keeping the furnace set in the low 60's.

If you have the extra line to the inlet side of the filter you are okay and plumbed the way it should be.
ATVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 06:38 PM   #7

Perfect! Now you can complete your project!
Old 03-30-2013, 09:16 PM   #8
Plain Old Member

Alright. It's complete. Thanks to bclemens for hooking me up with the panel while there.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1660495652.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	47.1 KB
ID:	26752  
Old 03-31-2013, 05:47 PM   #9

Nice job, glad you went with the factory panel!
Old 04-02-2013, 05:18 PM   #10
Plain Old Member

Thanks. Now on to the next upgrade. Fixing to build new slide out fascias once I get the local paint shop to match the stain close enough. They replaced some of mine on the bedroom slide while up there, but the original ones looked better. Since they're extremely easy to take off and put whatever you want there, figured I'd make it look a lot nicer with some "real" maple, crown moulding etc.