Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-20-2015, 07:54 PM   #1

3171DS walk thru today, not good

Well here we go. We ordered our fully loaded 3171DS the end of March. It arrived here in SLC last Monday. We went in today to sign the papers and do a walk thru with the tech. First thing they said was, we are ready to do the walk thru but there is a problem with one of the slides. Sure enough, the passenger side slide had one of the motors die. They will be trouble shooting it Monday, since Sat. they work half days and too busy doing walk throughs with other customers for major repairs. They said if it is not a simple fix and they have to replace the motor it could be another week because they don't stock the motors, they have to order from Forest River. Also to top it off, we have a large rock chip in the windshield. May have to replace. Also, there is paint over spray on the mirrors and part of the windshield. A few other little things on our list but won't talk about for now. Will keep you posted when we are finally able to drive it home. Good luck to others ordering or buying a new motorhome.
2016 Forester 3171DS (ordered March & arrived June 2015)
benagi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2015, 07:56 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Oh no...sorry to hear that.

You didn't sign the final paperwork, yet, did you?
8-year Travel Trailer RVers
2013 Forest River Rockwood Ultra-Lite 2904SS
2014 Toyota Tundra Maxcrew SR-5 TRD 4x4 (with Firestone airbags in the rear)
ColoradoRick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2015, 08:10 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoradoRick View Post
Oh no...sorry to hear that.

You didn't sign the final paperwork, yet, did you?
We were thinking about no signing but we are going to get it anyway regardless of problems. Won't have time the rest of the working week, if they do get it fixed by then. Was it a mistake? Time will tell.
Old 06-20-2015, 08:27 PM   #4
Site Team

They will be much more motivated to order parts and fix it if they are waiting for their money. If they have your money, they have less motivation to expedite it.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2015, 08:50 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flybob View Post
They will be much more motivated to order parts and fix it if they are waiting for their money. If they have your money, they have less motivation to expedite it.
Agree 100%! Youroo!!
youroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2015, 08:52 PM   #6

Sorry to hear of your problems. I picked up my 3171 a month ago and used it for 10 days on the way home. The slides were what I was most concerned about. I only found 5 or 6 small problems that I could fix myself. The dealer has been more than happy to supply the parts I need. I hope you get yours fixed quickly and that I don't have slide problems.
caesar101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2015, 09:10 PM   #7
Citrus County, Fl.

Ben, hopefully all this can be fixed. New windshield should have a lifetime warranty on it depending on who installs it. Like others have said, I would not sign the papers until it is repaired to your satisfaction. Also, I would try to camp near by in case there is anything that is discovered while you are using it.

The first one we were supposed to get had a lot of issues besides not having the window over the bed deleted and not adding the pull down black out shades. The paint had several scratches on a compartment door and there was a bad bubble just below it. There was some kind of white stuff all over the mirror and the outside tv and the stove cover was damaged. Fortunately the rep offered to build us another one which other than a shorted out gray tank sensor it is almost perfect
99 Terry 31G
GL1800Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2015, 11:33 AM   #8

If you do take delivery I would insist to keep a "HOLD BACK" of some percentage payable on repairs when completed to your satisfaction......10%..15%...25%.......they will fix pronto!!!!!
Jim in Halifax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2015, 12:00 PM   #9

I'm sorry to hear your troubles! I would not have signed the paperwork. Quality control will not improve until people stop accepting rigs with problems. Just my opinion
Old 06-21-2015, 03:22 PM   #10

I've got a little 2010 32 ft Puma TT I bought from an individual when it was about a year old. It's been fairly trouble free save the DVD player that never worked and a small place in the right corner of the front cap that popped that I had to fix. We've been toying with the idea of trading it for a new fifth wheel. Accordingly, I been perusing these sites for some insight on which brand was the best built and least trouble free for the money spent.
The more I read from these sites, the more I realize the question I should be asking is not which is the best built, but rather which is least sorry built and which you'll have the least number of problems with right out of the gate. One other question. Does anybody know when these companies are going to stop hiring part time, minimum wage folk for quality control? (or do they even have quality control?)
fvstringpicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2015, 03:34 PM   #11
Georgia Rally Coordinator

I sure would have held off signing anything till everything is fixed. Later RJD
2018 Dodge Ram 2500 6.4 3:73 gearing. Traded 2015 Chevy 2500 6.0, 4:10
Traded 2015 30WRLIKS V-Lite
Days camped 2019 62
Days camped 2020 49 days camped 2021-74 2022-40 days 2023 5 days
aceinspp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2015, 03:48 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by fvstringpicker View Post
I've got a little 2010 32 ft Puma TT I bought from an individual when it was about a year old. It's been fairly trouble free save the DVD player that never worked and a small place in the right corner of the front cap that popped that I had to fix. We've been toying with the idea of trading it for a new fifth wheel. Accordingly, I been perusing these sites for some insight on which brand was the best built and least trouble free for the money spent.
The more I read from these sites, the more I realize the question I should be asking is not which is the best built, but rather which is least sorry built and which you'll have the least number of problems with right out of the gate. One other question. Does anybody know when these companies are going to stop hiring part time, minimum wage folk for quality control? (or do they even have quality control?)
Go to other Forums....Same Old! Same Old!!! Forums are only for those who vent their problems......how many tell how happy they have been with FR.....CC??? J
Jim in Halifax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2015, 04:39 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim in Halifax View Post
Go to other Forums....Same Old! Same Old!!! Forums are only for those who vent their problems......how many tell how happy they have been with FR.....CC??? J
I've been on this forum for over 2 months now. The reason I joined was to learn as much about my unit as possible before it arrived. I like to research everything as much as possible before purchasing, no matter what I buy. As I told BClemens, when my unit arrived, I would post the good or the bad. It's just too bad it started out bad. Just hope Forest River and Camping World come thru and get everything fixed before we go back to finally bring it home. Hopefully future post after we bring our unit home will be positive.
!!!Happy Fathers Day to all the Dads out there!!!
Old 06-21-2015, 05:11 PM   #14

Fair enough and well said! I don't think FR wouldn't want it any other way then the truth! Honest customer feedback is vital to be a leader in any industry.

Frank
KM4FVI
2013 Elantra GT (Toad)
WashU EMBA "39
ourflat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2015, 06:42 PM   #15

"Happy" isn't the word I'd use

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim in Halifax View Post
In reading the feedback from FR purchasers regarding quality and workmanship issues, I think most buyers, who have the skills, repair the mistakes from the factory and "tolerate" what they have. I'm not happy we our Cruise Lite, but we use and enjoy it the best we can. They look wonderful in the showroom, but begin to fold up like an accordian once they're bought and used. In the end, we'll never purchase another FR product, and that's about as honest as you can get!
gfarmcafe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2015, 08:40 PM   #16

Believe me, do not take possession of the unit until that slide is fixed.
magpi26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2015, 08:59 PM   #17

Don't sign dotted line til all is fixed. Takes long to get fixed after you sign.
435AH 12V VMax Charge Tanks, 520 watt Monocrystilline Solar Array, Morningstar MPPT TS-60 CC,Morningstar Remote,Cotek True Sine Wave Inverter,Cotek Remote Controller,50amp Progressive Hardwire Surge Protector
2015 Dodge 3500 6.7L 4X4
2011 CanAm Commander XT 1000
mud yapster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2015, 09:56 PM   #18

I would not have signed the papers and a good dealer would not have asked you to. When my toyhauler came in I was notified by my dealer. He said I could see it but since it had a couple small issues he would not complete the sale until the items were resolved and I was satisfied.
ATVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2015, 10:03 PM   #19
Moderator Emeritus

Yes, I wish I had known I was going to buy a Forest River before I did...it would've been great to know what I know now before I bought it! (Yes, I still would've bought it!)

I do find it strange that my little $17,000 car (Scion iQ) has has ZERO issues and the owners manuals are super detailed in every way. Yet my $30,000 trailer's manuals leave much to be desired and some obvious problems that were there when it was sold had to be fixed.

Why is Forest River letting vehicles leave the factory with issues? Why are dealers accepting and then selling these vehicles? (If I had a dealership, you'd better believe I'd check out everything coming in!!!)
8-year Travel Trailer RVers
2013 Forest River Rockwood Ultra-Lite 2904SS
2014 Toyota Tundra Maxcrew SR-5 TRD 4x4 (with Firestone airbags in the rear)
ColoradoRick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2015, 11:01 PM   #20

Just a quick note. The slide was working when it left the factory but quit when they were extending and retracting it just before for the walk thru. They didn't get time to do a full trouble shoot Sat.. All they know at this point is that one of the motors on the Swintech slide quit working. Will know more this week when service gets back to work on it.