Old 12-14-2016, 02:19 PM   #1

4-door Fridge Door Fail

I'm hoping that the moderators chime in here and provide some input here as I'm pretty much at the end my rope on this issue which has existed since I purchased the RV last January. I summarized this issue in another thread but I will copy it here as well.

4-door Fridge door latch failure

"As much as I like the 4-door fridge for its capacity, I really do not like the latching system they use. I have had issues with mine since the day I bought it. Initially the freezer doors were out of alignment so you could not shut the one door without the door hitting the inside compartment wall. The dealer did the best the could to correct it but it was still way out of alignment. Over the next two trips to the dealer they tried other options recommended by FR and Dometic which not only did not correct the freezer door alignment but now made the refrigerator doors much harder to open. On the last and final try the dealer received all new hinge parts from Dometic. However, some parts were missing in the kit which they received and others just would not fit. According to the dealer, Dometic no longer makes or stores the correct parts for my frig and suggested I contact FR to request a new 4-door frig. Oh yea, and now it is damn near impossible to open the frig doors!

As much as I am having difficulty believing the "no parts" conversation my next step is to request a new Frig from Forest River since I am not willing to make a 5th attempt at getting it fixed.

Anyone else have issues with door alignment on these units?"

Here is a a video of the issue.

https://youtu.be/zq0kKn8nf6g

Since then I have relented and did brought it back for a 5th attempt to fix since FR Service suggested trying to shim the unit and the dealer indicated that they actually did not try that. The long and short of it is that also failed. Actually it did not even get started as when the dealer pulled out the fridge they discovered that there is no room to place a shim without damaging or cutting into the RV walls. Additionally, their thought was that there was little chance it would work since they indicated that the structure of the fridge was rigid enough that shimming was going to have little or no effect if they could have done it at all.

I immediately sent an email to the FR service department asking about what the next steps are to have the unit replaced. So far it's been a week and I have not had any contact back from FR service even after leaving multiple voice mail messages.

I'd like to think that someone in the FR organization can fix this issue for me but it's not obvious who that is at this point. Anyone have a suggestion???

newRVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2016, 02:40 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by newRVer View Post
I'm hoping that the moderators chime in here and provide some input here as I'm pretty much at the end my rope on this issue which has existed since I purchased the RV last January. I summarized this issue in another thread but I will copy it here as well.

4-door Fridge door latch failure

"As much as I like the 4-door fridge for its capacity, I really do not like the latching system they use. I have had issues with mine since the day I bought it. Initially the freezer doors were out of alignment so you could not shut the one door without the door hitting the inside compartment wall. The dealer did the best the could to correct it but it was still way out of alignment. Over the next two trips to the dealer they tried other options recommended by FR and Dometic which not only did not correct the freezer door alignment but now made the refrigerator doors much harder to open. On the last and final try the dealer received all new hinge parts from Dometic. However, some parts were missing in the kit which they received and others just would not fit. According to the dealer, Dometic no longer makes or stores the correct parts for my frig and suggested I contact FR to request a new 4-door frig. Oh yea, and now it is damn near impossible to open the frig doors!

As much as I am having difficulty believing the "no parts" conversation my next step is to request a new Frig from Forest River since I am not willing to make a 5th attempt at getting it fixed.

Anyone else have issues with door alignment on these units?"

Here is a a video of the issue.

https://youtu.be/zq0kKn8nf6g

Since then I have relented and did brought it back for a 5th attempt to fix since FR Service suggested trying to shim the unit and the dealer indicated that they actually did not try that. The long and short of it is that also failed. Actually it did not even get started as when the dealer pulled out the fridge they discovered that there is no room to place a shim without damaging or cutting into the RV walls. Additionally, their thought was that there was little chance it would work since they indicated that the structure of the fridge was rigid enough that shimming was going to have little or no effect if they could have done it at all.

I immediately sent an email to the FR service department asking about what the next steps are to have the unit replaced. So far it's been a week and I have not had any contact back from FR service even after leaving multiple voice mail messages.

I'd like to think that someone in the FR organization can fix this issue for me but it's not obvious who that is at this point. Anyone have a suggestion???
I would never suggest a lawyer as that is often counter productive and in this case cost prohibited anyway. I would give them just a little more time and call plus email 2 - 3 times a day. Being retired at the 1st sign of decent weather in IN I'd drive there and park outside, go in and explain I'm not moving until the situation is rectified. BUT THEN,,, I'm an old fart that can develop an attitude when pushed.

CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2016, 01:10 PM   #3
Class C Representative

Give them a few days. I know they are swamped right now. If you don't hear anything by Monday PM me your information and I'll forward it on.
PLEASE do not send questions via Profile comments or Private Message, my inbox fills up too quickly. Post questions in the forum as a new thread so that other users can benefit from the answers. Use Private Messages for sensitive information only (VIN, Contact info or things you do not want the public to see).
Joshua Cavitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2016, 04:30 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshua Cavitt View Post
Give them a few days. I know they are swamped right now. If you don't hear anything by Monday PM me your information and I'll forward it on.
Thanks Josh. Mike did get back to me today and it appears he was under the weather for a couple of days so that may have contributed to the delay. After our discussion I'm really hoping that it can be corrected in some way as what I was not aware of is that if it needs to be replaced then the back window would need to be removed first and it goes out that way. Not sure I would like that option either but we'll see what happens trying to repair it before that becomes a concern.
Old 12-16-2016, 01:14 PM   #5

"if it needs to be replaced then the back window would need to be removed first and it goes out that way. Not sure i would like that option"
If they got it in that way it should be OK

2014 Dodge Durango
"If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem"
mike.t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2016, 01:25 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike.t View Post
"if it needs to be replaced then the back window would need to be removed first and it goes out that way. Not sure i would like that option"
If they got it in that way it should be OK
Actually what I was told was that they build the RV after the frig has been installed so there there's no chance of that happening in reverse.
Old 12-16-2016, 02:32 PM   #7

Pulling and replacing a window is no big deal. Sounds like you have given them ample chances to do the repair. I agree with you, replacement is the next logical step. Good luck.
shadows4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2016, 04:05 PM   #8

Just when you think it could not get any worse.....

The dealer which I bought my RV is sticking to their opinion which is that the fridge cannot be shimmed because of insufficient room in the cabinet enclosure. (i.e it cannot be done unless part of the cabinet is cut away.)

Forest River is of the opinion that shimming the fridge should fix the issue and that the dealer does not know what they are doing.
(i.e. it can be done although part of the cabinet may have to be "shaved")

My suggestion? Let's get everyone on a conference call to discuss this together to determine why it can or cannot be done and hopefully agree how to get around this problem. Even better if it was a video call where we could show everyone in real time what the issue was. Maybe use Skype?

Dealer - would be happy to do it!
Forest River - declined to participate, indicated they do not have the technology. What?????

The Forest River suggestion was to take it to another dealer to have it looked at. I've been down that road before! The (3) different places I previously called all said they would not do warranty service work on something they did not sell. So they sent me a list of nearby Forest River authorized service repair places, and guess what, first (2) places I called said the same thing.

If I was withing a few hours drive of Elkhart IN I would drive it over to Forest River and have them fix it first hand!

On a future note - If I ever by a new RV again, I will triple check to make sure that I have at least two places within driving distance that will at least admit to doing warranty service work on units they did not sell before I make a purchase. Of course, there is no guarantee but at least I will feel better about making the purchase.
Old 12-19-2016, 04:10 PM   #9
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
Originally Posted by newRVer View Post
Just when you think it could not get any worse.....

The dealer which I bought my RV is sticking to their opinion which is that the fridge cannot be shimmed because of insufficient room in the cabinet enclosure. (i.e it cannot be done unless part of the cabinet is cut away.)

Forest River is of the opinion that shimming the fridge should fix the issue and that the dealer does not know what they are doing.
(i.e. it can be done although part of the cabinet may have to be "shaved")

My suggestion? Let's get everyone on a conference call to discuss this together to determine why it can or cannot be done and hopefully agree how to get around this problem. Even better if it was a video call where we could show everyone in real time what the issue was. Maybe use Skype?

Dealer - would be happy to do it!
Forest River - declined to participate, indicated they do not have the technology. What?????

The Forest River suggestion was to take it to another dealer to have it looked at. I've been down that road before! The (3) different places I previously called all said they would not do warranty service work on something they did not sell. So they sent me a list of nearby Forest River authorized service repair places, and guess what, first (2) places I called said the same thing.

If I was withing a few hours drive of Elkhart IN I would drive it over to Forest River and have them fix it first hand!

On a future note - If I ever by a new RV again, I will triple check to make sure that I have at least two places within driving distance that will at least admit to doing warranty service work on units they did not sell before I make a purchase. Of course, there is no guarantee but at least I will feel better about making the purchase.
And what was FR's response when you told them the places recommended, (by them) would not work on your unit?
TST Tire Monitor w/Repeater - Sinemate 3500w Gen.

Days Camped: '16=46 '17=30 '18=51 '19=42
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2016, 09:58 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5picker View Post
And what was FR's response when you told them the places recommended, (by them) would not work on your unit?
This is the exact response. If only they had told me this when I purchased my RV that could have saved me some aggravation. Although, it may not help me solve may current problem. We shall see.....

"No dealer is affiliated with the manufacture who’s products they sell. RV dealers are independent companies. With the exception of Camping World who is under contract any dealer (with the exception of selling dealer) has the right to refuse service. Any dealer that sells a Forest River product has the ability to perform warranty work. RV manufactures have no say over the internal policies of the individual dealers. I did include a Camping World in your area (Lakewood). They are under contract and cannot refuse service. If they do please let me know."

Tags
door, fridge