Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-17-2019, 05:27 PM   #1

5k to improve a Sunseeker

If you bought a 2 year old Sun seeker and wanted to invest no more than 5k after buying it, would you spend it on upgrading the suspension or water proofing?

I'm interested in the 3010.
alikair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2019, 05:31 PM   #2

Waterproofing first
, ain't got nothing if it falls apart because of leak .
wanderingbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2019, 05:35 PM   #3
DW's 401(k) Plan

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderingbob View Post
Waterproofing first
, ain't got nothing if it falls apart because of leak .
X2, but I think with that much $$$ you should be able to do both. [emoji41]

"Sunny" the 2017 Sunseeker 3010DS
2006 Jeep Liberty Toad
.... and lovin' life........MOST of the time.
DaGrinch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2019, 06:34 PM   #4

I should have mentioned, the waterproofing is a preventative in this scenario there is no water damage visible.
Old 11-17-2019, 06:50 PM   #5

Regular maint. is best way to waterproof. if I had to spend 5k on it I'd probably move on to something else!

Where ever you go there you are
grumpyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2019, 07:20 PM   #6
Retired Old Fart

IF it's only a 2 year old unit, how much water proofing could it need? You say there are no leakage issues, then regular preventive maintenance should keep it good going forward.

I would think even if you pulled all the sealant on the roof penetrations (AC, vents, etc...) and resealed them with fresh Dicor or even Eternabond & Dicor, and resealed every door and window opening, you would still have enough left over to do pretty much any upgrade you wanted. Depending on what options the unit has, some of those upgrades may dovetail into that roof resealing (adding 2nd AC, Fantastic vents, etc...). For $5k, you might even be able to pay to have it all professionally done if you check around on who you use and are frugal.

I guess the next set of questions are: diesel or gas? What has been done to the suspension already?
dward51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2019, 07:53 PM   #7

I guess I should clarify some more.
This is a purely hypothetical question.
I currently don't even own and RV.
I'm just wondering after I purchase a used RV if there's things I should do right away.
Old 11-17-2019, 08:35 PM   #8

there is lots of 2 year old rigs out there for sale. view it for signs it has been maintained in sealing dept. If its OK buy it and drive it the way it is before thinking it needs upgrades.

This website is full of people making it sound like its not safe to drive something without upgrading it, or you must put $1000 batteries in your coach, or this or that, the list goes on.

Find a nice clean used rig and enjoy it without dumping $5k additional on it.

remember these are motor homes, not sports cars. drive it for its intended purpose.
TowPro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2019, 08:38 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by TowPro View Post
there is lots of 2 year old rigs out there for sale. view it for signs it has been maintained in sealing dept. If its OK buy it and drive it the way it is before thinking it needs upgrades.

This website is full of people making it sound like its not safe to drive something without upgrading it, or you must put $1000 batteries in your coach, or this or that, the list goes on.

Find a nice clean used rig and enjoy it without dumping $5k additional on it.

remember these are motor homes, not sports cars. drive it for its intended purpose.
I am a little worried that by the time I would notice a water leak the damage would be done. Would you rather wait till you spot the leak or treat it with some kind of protective sealant?
Again, I've never owned an RV so I am just asking for advice.
Old 11-17-2019, 08:48 PM   #10
Retired Old Fart

checking the condition of the roof, the roof penetrations (air conditioner, vents, etc...) seals, and the other seals (windows, sides to roof, etc....) is basically an annual or twice yearly good idea. Usually a sealant will start to look like it is aging before it fails and can be replaced. Some people don't like working on their roofs at all and hire that work out. But it is something you can do yourself. But unless it's damaged by a limb or something, roofs are pretty well made as long as you stay on top of keeping them sealed properly.

I guess it's sort of like tires on a car. You can rotate them, balance them, and keep them inflated and they will last longer than if you ignore them until they fail.
dward51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2019, 10:33 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by alikair View Post
If you bought a 2 year old Sun seeker and wanted to invest no more than 5k after buying it, would you spend it on upgrading the suspension or water proofing?

I'm interested in the 3010.

A 2 year old unit that needs serious waterproofing is a deal you should walk away from.

Even if the unit was stored outside in the weather, as long as it was properly built, a couple tubes of sealant and some time should resolve any potential water problems.

Having just bought a brand new unit, just a few things I have had to spend money on are:
Add fuel shutoff valve to generator.
Improve spare tire mounting system.
Upgrade shocks and swaybar.
Add dimmer switches on some lights.
Replace screwed-on interior service panels with hinged doors.
Upgrade bathroom vent fan, add rainproof covers to vents.
Add electric trailer brake controller.
Add accumulator for water pump system.
Add second backsplash at stove.
Cab floor mats.
Bathroom towel bars.

All these things ran around $1000. If you're buying used, some of these things, along with some warranty fixes, may already be done. Having to spend $5000 extra on a 2 year old used unit just doesn't sound like a unit worth buying.

I would allocate $300 to have an E-450 front end alignment checked and adjusted, unless you know the previous owner had it done.
Old 11-17-2019, 11:04 PM   #12

I should have been more clear when I first posted the question.It is hypothetical, I do not on this RV.
I'm looking at it as a preventative because I've heard so many bad stories about water damage.

From what others have been saying, there's no need to add protection to the roof right away. I should just periodically inspect the roof and call it good.
Old 11-18-2019, 11:03 AM   #13

There are 2 different parts to that used RV you are looking at (if its a motor home). .

1) You have the chassis part, which is probably still be under warranty by manufacture (ford, gm, MB, etc). in 2 years I would expect it to not have many miles.
2) the coach is the part built by the RV company, like Forest River. this is the part that needs a higher level of inspection.

you could already have an independent RV mechanic lined up to do an inspection on the coach looking for leaks. But it will probably have to be a mobile mechanic.

And yes if an RV did have a small leak for 2 years before you looked at it, I would say there is a pretty good chance your going to see delamination of the siding. this will appear as bubbles or waves in siding.
TowPro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2019, 01:42 PM   #14

Both. For 5k you should be able to get both done and have money left over.
Chrisc40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2019, 02:20 PM   #15

Before purchase, I would pay for a complete inspection including a Seal Tech test with attention to the roof. This test will show POSSIBLE leaks. With this info you can make an informed decision.
As stated, a dry roof is paramount to the life of the coach.
I will go out on a limb and ask if you are thinking about a spray on roof. 5k for a spray on roof is about right. It does have benefits.
To answer your question, if everything checked out, and you just wanted to spend 5k on a coach I was going to keep a long time, I would spend the money on the roof.
Garrette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2019, 04:06 PM   #16

Are you wanting to tow a car? A good part of that $5000 will disappear once you purchase and install that equipment including a good auxiliary braking system in the vehicle. Mine ended up nearly $4000 including professional install.

OTR 2024-22 / 2023-29 / 2022-52
2021-51 / 2020-29 / 2019-71 / 2018-49
ArkRVHog is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sunseeker