Old 02-29-2016, 01:26 AM   #1

AC unit on a Forester 3011DS issue

AC unit on a Forester 3011DS, on the unit I have ducted air and in hot weather the unit will not stay cold as soon as we have the family (which is four adults) in the camper the temp will not get cold. I live in the south and the temp can get very hot outside. We have had other units( Travel trailer and 5th wheel) and never had this problem. Any help would be great

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums

Old 02-29-2016, 10:46 AM   #2

Do you have the 15kw unit?

Old 02-29-2016, 10:48 AM   #3

I have the 13500 BTU unit with ducting in the roof thanks
Old 02-29-2016, 11:30 AM   #4

I may not be the best resource since our unit is new and we have not had a chance to test it out in hot weather yet, however, I did some homework before buying our 3011 and hopefully that will pay off when we do have a chance to use it.

That being said, depending on what year your unit is, how's it configured and which part of the vehicle gets hotter, there may be some things that you can do to mitigate the issue. For instance,
  • The larger AC unit would help, but that is not likely going to be on your list of things to fix at this point.
  • Next might be to cut down on thermal penetration. For example, our unit came without the window above the bed and room darkening shades all around. And since the thermostat is in the bedroom where it should be cooler (less window area and leakage due to smaller slide) that must be taken into account when trying to adjust temp in the rest of the unit.
  • During the walk through I noticed that the vents in the bedroom (end of line) where not getting a lot of air. Closing down some vents (especially in from the bathroom) helped fix that.
  • If you don't leave the air on all the time and only turn on when you need it, open the vent underneath the AC unit as opposed to using ducted vents. This should cool down the overall unit much quicker due to less restrictive airflow. Once the unit is cooler, then switch back to the ducted vents to manage the cooling better.

Then of course there are the obvious points;
  • Park in the shade if you can.
  • Leave AC on all the time.
  • Minimize going in and out of the unit.
  • Block off as much sunlight entering vehicle as possible.
  • make sure AC is functioning properly
  • etc.
Old 02-29-2016, 12:02 PM   #5

Could be slightly low on refrigerant. Find a friend in the HVAC business and have him take a look at it.
Old 02-29-2016, 12:36 PM   #6

I have the Sunseeker 3010 a sister unit to you 3011 it has the larger 15000 BTU unit and I've been in 90-95 degree temps. Here is what helps, shut off the vents in the bedroom and bath. Open the bath door to block off the bedroom-shower area. On the cabover bed shut the vent and close the curtain, in the cab area place the privacy curtain so it goes behind the seats. Use the Camco 45192 Sunshield Vent Insulator on all inside vents including the bathroom. Use a reflective windshield shade on the inside of shower skylight. Use a reflective windshield shade on the inside of the windshield and a Camco 45232 Vinyl Windshield Cover on the outside of the windshield. On the entry door try a Camco 45167 Sun Shield Reflective Window Cover. I know this is a lot but doing all this I was able to keep my rig at 70-72 degrees in direct sunlight at 90+ degrees. You can also use a small box fan to move the cool air around. Hope this helps,
Old 02-29-2016, 12:44 PM   #7

Thanks for the information, I think I have done most the items keep the blinds down all the time, I have insulation so pads in the vent lids, I keep the AC running all the time. I was thinking increasing the AC unit to 15000 BTU but hope some had an idea. I thought I read somewhere that thesis an issue with some Class C MH. Once again I would like to thank you for the information and any other information would be greatly appreciated.

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
Old 02-29-2016, 12:53 PM   #8

AC Unit on Forester 3011DS

I have the same Coach which was 6 months old, but it has a 15,000 BTU unit. I was in Destin, Florida in November, December, and the Air wasn't cold and at night the Heat Pump wasn't warm. I went to Dometic's website to find a local dealer. I called them to come to our site, they found the unit was not working correctly. They handled it totally on warranty thru Dometic. I had to pay the initial service call $75.00 but no more because I drove to their shop for the swapping out of units. Also Forest River reimbursed me for the $75.00
Old 02-29-2016, 02:37 PM   #9

Thanks for the info, checked and I am sorry I do have the 15000. It sound like yours was doing the same as mine

Do you remember what was wrong with the unit ?

Thanks
Old 02-29-2016, 02:45 PM   #10

FYI. Dometic has had some problems with defective 15k units since around 2014. Known problem. I purchased a NEW 15k unit in 2014 to replace a 2008 unit gone bad. Failed to cool after about 2 months. Took almost 3 months to get a Dometic center to look at it and 2 weeks later they shipped a new one. Of course I had, of necessity, already replaced the bad unit, so now have a spare on the ground.

My rule of thumb on RV A/C is divide the coach length (ft) by 2. That's the minimum A/C requirement in the South.

Tags
forester