Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-09-2014, 04:08 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimrose View Post
Just took dely. of Forester 2015S. It has a 13,000 btu air conditioner. Can I change out the 13,000 btu with a 15,000 with heat pump. Is this a lot of work and will the thermostat need to be changed
Jim/rose
Yes you can do it no problem. 2 things that you would have to do is 1) get a HP stat 2) you will probably have to pull new control thermostat wire a HP takes 6 wires you have to have a wire that you would more then likely hook to an "O" terminal that would be for your change over valve. Also I suggest you get a strip heat package to so when the HP go's into defrost mode the strip heat will come on and temper the air. You would also beable to turn on the strip heat during running to get a little hotter air. It's called emergency heat......

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2014, 05:37 AM   #22

They are not a lot of work to change out. You may have to change the stat. More importantly is to have enough pairs of wire between the stat location and the unit. The amperage use should be the same between the units.
Fourn3833 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2014, 05:38 AM   #23

Quote:
Just took dely. of Forester 2015S. It has a 13,000 btu air conditioner. Can I change out the 13,000 btu with a 15,000 with heat pump. Is this a lot of work and will the thermostat need to be changed
Jim/rose

Is it a new unit? Seems like removing a new air conditioner to replace with heat pump would be a needless expense. I doubt if the cost of a new AC with heat pump would be worth the savings (assuming you are using "free" electricity vs. buying your own propane for the furnace.)

2012 Forest River Sunseeker 2300 Chevy
Old 11-09-2014, 03:52 PM   #24

Quote:
Jim/rose
Since you already have the AC w/o heat pump I don't think it's worth the cost and effort to change it out. Just buy a space heater which will be a lot quieter.

If you really want the heat pump why not put in the bedroom vent and have both AC units. I am considering adding another unit because the operating noise is bothersome to me. Thus at night I'd run the front unit and during the day I'd run the rear.

The 30 amp electrical system can't run both at the same time but it wouldn't take much extra effort set it up with a selector switch to operate one at a time. If I were to do it I would probably set it up as a 50 amp feed with 30 on one side and a separate 20 on the other side for the extra AC so I could run both if I wanted to on really hot days. You could also have two plugs, the normal 30 amp and another separate 20 amp just for the extra AC depending on what the campsite setup has for plugins. Just my thoughts.
ATVer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
forester, pump