Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-16-2014, 04:29 PM   #1

AC with heat pump. Should we order for our new Forester motor home?

Choosing options. Not sire if we need this or should we get the extend a stay to have more propane for heating?
Thoughts appreciated!
suscamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 05:11 PM   #2

No, you'll find using the furnace, or even portable electric heaters are more efficient / put out more heat.
I paid around $700 a piece for two roof A/C to have heat pumps on a $180K Monaco class A coach we bought new in 2007. The heat pumps are noisy and really don't heat the coach very much.
jamesroadking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 05:27 PM   #3

My heat pump works great when plugged into shore power. When it gets really cold the propane furnace works best.
Old 09-16-2014, 06:17 PM   #4

I agree with Mikehjax. Heat pump noise is same as A/C. About as noisy as the propane furnace, just a different noise. Does not heat the floor much so when it's really cold we use the furnace or add a portable electric heater on low.

Using heat pump reduces number of times to refill the LP tank.

Choose for yourself. What suits your needs and style of camping.
RamblerGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 07:14 PM   #5

Thanks. We use propane and furnace in our current MH. Never had this as an option. Am trying to figure out what I really need.
suscamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 07:24 PM   #6

Consider the heat pump is 15,000 Btu's where the standard AC is 13,500.
The extra AC comes in handy on those really hot days. I have not regretted going for the larger unit. Remember you will still have the 30,000 btu furnace as well.
Old 09-16-2014, 07:35 PM   #7
Average Joe

I'm glad we got the heat pump. Saves propane and we use it a lot when temps are over 32. Below 32 we use portable electric heaters and the furnace.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums

Southern Maryland and Beyond!

MrJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 07:44 PM   #8

We considered it a must have option. Not only do you get the larger unit (nice in the summer heat) but the heat pump saves a boatload of propane (if you have elec hookup of course) in the spring and fall when temps are from about 35 to 50.

If it's colder than that or you need to heat the tanks then propane is used but we rarely need the furnace. Nice since the (smallish) propane tank lasts a long time....until you start cranking the furnace.... Then it goes fast. 😄
jrwalkerpa1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 08:09 PM   #9

I think the biggest benefit is the the increased BTU (15,000 vs 13,500) for cooling. 13,500 is marginal on hot days. I'm considering putting a second AC in the bedroom to deal with noise. During the day when I'm in the living area I'll run the rear AC and during the night I'll run the front AC.

I use a small electric space heater and rarely use the propane heater. If it's too cold for the space heater I'm not camping.
ATVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 09:48 PM   #10

Do any of you worry about using the small portable heaters in the motor homes? Do you run them for short periods or thru the night? Do any of you run your generators while driving which would allow you to use these heaters while running down the road?
Gilm2113 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 10:00 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilm2113 View Post
Do any of you worry about using the small portable heaters in the motor homes? Do you run them for short periods or thru the night? Do any of you run your generators while driving which would allow you to use these heaters while running down the road?
Been using them on shore power for over 20 years. Best form of heat for light duty. If you run it on genset, would be the most expensive heat you ever purchased. Dash heat is plenty under way.
VinceU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 10:19 PM   #12

Thanks Vince. I appreciate your feedback. Do you ever use the generator for other 110v appliances while driving?
Gilm2113 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 06:41 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilm2113 View Post
No, it has a thermostat and cycles on and off as needed.

Yes it's run as needed, all night or day.

No, I do not run the generator to run the heater, that would likely cost more than using the propane heater. I'm not a winter camper so I would have no reason to need more than the cab heater while traveling.
ATVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014, 07:12 PM   #14

IMHO One of the greatest benefits of the heat pump, aside from the extra BTUs is the heat output is much more evenly distributed throughout the coach. The propane heat is so hot that when using it it is always either hot or cold, no happy medium. When its to cold for the heat pump we use propane to take the chill off then portable electric.
monte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2014, 12:45 AM   #15

I like having a heat pump. Save on propane and it provides a good amount of heat when it's 45 degrees or higher outside. I live on So Cal and hardly use my furnace as heat pump does very well in most cases.

Also, I agree with what monte says as well, it's a nice even heat, not too hot or cold, it's just right all the time.
Appleguy1991 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2014, 10:17 AM   #16
ETF

Like someone else said, if it's cold enough to need the furnace then I'm not camping!!!

Having said that, I have been caught a couple of times. The heat pump works well if the temperature isn't too low. My wife does complain that the breeze from it does feel a little cool. If it gets down into the 30's then it just can't keep up and you need to turn on the furnace. Using the furnace will run through the propane pretty fast though. The best compromise is probably using the heat pump along with a portable electric heater if you are connected to shore power.

I'd never think of running the generator when I was driving down the road.
ETF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2014, 10:40 AM   #17

I run my generator often when I am driving through a warm geographical area when temps hit 90 plus with folks sitting outside the driver cabin. I run my air conditioner to keep my RV nice and cool.

Am I missing something by running my generator & A/C while driving? It never occurred to me that that could be a problem or possibly even dangerous?
Appleguy1991 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2014, 02:15 PM   #18

I was out for a few days this weekend and daytime temps were in the 50s. One night it dropped to 33 for a few hours. The heatpump actually did quite well. I thought I'd need to switch to propane but it kept us at 70 inside all night.
jrwalkerpa1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 06:23 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Appleguy1991 View Post
I run my generator often when I am driving through a warm geographical area when temps hit 90 plus with folks sitting outside the driver cabin. I run my air conditioner to keep my RV nice and cool.

Am I missing something by running my generator & A/C while driving? It never occurred to me that that could be a problem or possibly even dangerous?

The generator can be run while driving with no problem. That's why it is there (if needed).

2012 Forest River Sunseeker 2300 Chevy
Old 11-09-2014, 03:41 AM   #20

Just took dely. of Forester 2015S. It has a 13,000 btu air conditioner. Can I change out the 13,000 btu with a 15,000 with heat pump. Is this a lot of work and will the thermostat need to be changed
Jim/rose
jimrose is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
forester, pump