Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-19-2016, 11:57 AM   #1

Adding air to tires

Used a small portable air compressor for the first time that plugs into the cigarette lighter to add air to my tires. All was going OK until I got to the rear inner tires. Neither one would correct to my compressor when I screwed the valve stem on, no air coming in or out. Do they have a different kind of valve? It looks the same to me but neither one of the inner tires worked and all the rest did.

Also, is it possible to extend the front tire valves out beyond the hubcaps a little so it will be easier to get the valve caps on and off? I don't want to have to take the hubcaps off just to add air to the tires.

And finally, I noticed somewhere along the way I have lost one of the rear hubcaps. Anyone know where to get a replacement? Are they necessary?

Sorry for so many questions, and thanks for the advice.

Leon
Old 09-19-2016, 12:09 PM   #2
Site Team

Leon,

Your problem with the rear inner duals is probably the factory valve extenders. I could not air mine up either. The best solution is to go to DuallyValve.com and buy a decent set of 1 piece valve stems that get rid of all the pieces and parts FR used. I have them and they work great. Plus since they are metal you can add a TPMS with no issues. Call them and tell them what you want / need and they'll put together a good kit for all six wheels.

I've seen the hubcaps (Wheel simulators) on Ebay and your local dealer can get em as well. They are just for looks anyway...
Old 09-19-2016, 12:24 PM   #3

Thanks RedLdr1, I'll pick up a set of the valve stems from them and I've wanted to see about a TPMS - 2 birds at once!
Old 09-19-2016, 07:34 PM   #4

I promptly obtained the duallyvalve metal stems after trying to check and fill the air pressure in the tires. Neither myself, nor a professional at a local truck tire store were able to check and fill the tires. Now I have a system that allows me to easily check and fill, coupled with a TPMS for safety.
Old 09-20-2016, 08:18 AM   #5

So just so I'm clear, my Sprinter has no TPMS at the moment? The low tire pressure warning light that the manual describes doesn't show up in the instrument cluster display. I thought all new vehicles had to have at least that.
Old 09-20-2016, 08:36 AM   #6
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormturner View Post
So just so I'm clear, my Sprinter has no TPMS at the moment? The low tire pressure warning light that the manual describes doesn't show up in the instrument cluster display. I thought all new vehicles had to have at least that.
It does not have a TPMS. FR does not order the chassis with one... I suspect since it is a "commercial" chassis they are not required unlike on passenger vehicles....
Old 09-20-2016, 01:17 PM   #7
Chief tinkerer

Hey wrmtrnr, to add to what you've already been told.. the reason the factory extensions possibly do not work, is that the extension tubes are a bit longer than the "stem" that runs through it, so the chuck doesnt push it down far enough to unseat the valve stem attached to the wheel. If it is the f/glass extensions, some have sanded the end a bit to shorten it just enough to compensate for the shorter stem. That was the problem with mine, but I just took the extensions off and bought a nice truck gauge/chuck that is made to air the inner dual. Less to malfunction. My TPMS is/are TST internal and batts should last until tire change, or at least thats the plan. Lots of ways to do it I guess and none are wrong.

2017 SunSeeker 3010DS
Gidyupgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2016, 08:55 AM   #8
Wait till next year...

As gidyupgo said different ways to stabilize your tire pressure. Rubber handhole stabilizers in the rear duallies have cut my air loss to a couple of pounds with 2 2-week long trips and half a dozen weekends. Tried metal extensions(too heavy), braided(too much work) ended up with TST pass thru sensors on both rear inside tire stems and light weight factory supplied extension held by the stabilizers
2023 Geo Pro FD19 "Almost there"
2022 Race Car Red HR Long Ford Transit 250 "The Iwish Roamer"
n-e-d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2016, 09:29 AM   #9
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormturner View Post
OE TPMS only on vehicles with GVWR LESS than 10,000 lbs.

I bought and use Wheel master 8001 hose extender kit. IMO I do not like the "airless style" as have reports of problems with the special valve core.

Make sure the outer end of hose is bolted down. When you add air or check pressure use other hand to support hose & mount as you can flex/fail the hose mount with the extra force.
I also bought TPMS TT500 with Lifetime warranty.

NOTE I do not work for, sell, or get commission on either TPMS or hoses. I do write a blog on RV tires.
.Write a blog on RV tire application RV Tire Safety. 48 years experience as tire design & forensic engineer. My RV Freelander 23QB on Chevy 4500 chassis. Giving seminars on RV Tire applications (not selling)@ FMCA Conventions. Mar 20-22 Tucson AZ
Tireman9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2016, 02:28 PM   #10

I had custom metal valve stems installed at a truck tire place. They all extend out far enough to easily inflate the tires. They also accept the senders for the TPMS.
Regarding inflators, my tires take 61 psi, which is more than the air stations at most regular gas stations produce, and way more than the 12 volt units described. I carry a 120 volt unit, max pressure 100 psi
jeffrapp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2016, 04:43 PM   #11
Site Team

Here is picture of the DL1FC kit for Ford E450s from duallyvalve.com installed on our GTS. I need to put on back on my hubcaps....

GTS Valve Extenders

I remove my TPMS sensors while parked in the storage lot...
Old 09-21-2016, 09:31 PM   #12

Thanks for the good advice. Looks like I've got some upgrades to make when I get home! Thanks to all!
Old 09-25-2016, 07:21 AM   #13

I bought a hose extender kit very similar to the picture that tireman9 posted above and never used or installed it. The manufacturer is phoenix usa and the kit number is aml3, i paid about $80 plus shipping. If anyone wants it, I would be happy to sell it for $50. Just google phoenix usa aml3 and make sure it fits your vehicle and let me know.
mgas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2016, 08:03 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffrapp View Post
I had custom metal valve stems installed at a truck tire place. They all extend out far enough to easily inflate the tires. They also accept the senders for the TPMS.
Regarding inflators, my tires take 61 psi, which is more than the air stations at most regular gas stations produce, and way more than the 12 volt units described. I carry a 120 volt unit, max pressure 100 psi
My Slime 12 volt will do 80 lbs and is rated to 150 lbs, but have not tried that high.

Living somewhere in ID; previously lived in Moab UT; previous to that, don't ask!
f5moab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2016, 08:39 PM   #15

After a tire failure and getting information (thank you Tireman) I followed suit with the extenders and a TPMS system. The cost of 1 month in shop + repairs + tire replacement = $1700. The inner tire failure damaged the wheel well, opening a hole in the sub-floor. The tire failure was extremely violent. IMHO, based on hindsight, I wish I had installed the TPMS system a sooner.

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
Dorothy, Miss Bella and I. Sometimes daughter and grands, loving life.
Garrette is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tire, tires