Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-12-2018, 05:42 PM   #1
Windblown _Traveler

Afternarket or OEM Locking Caps for gas and Fresh Water Tanks

Has anyone manage to obtain Locking Caps for the water and gas tanks on the Forester LE or is this an Option from Forest River?
msbilton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 08:33 PM   #2

Gas cap - check auto parts store for the year and model of your chassis. Fresh water - good luck. I have been looking for a way to secure the fresh water inlet for years. They have them in Europe, but haven't found one here.
AbdRahim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 09:14 PM   #3
Certified Curmudgeon

Stant 10508 for the gas cap.
FW tank fill requires replacing the port.
Old 08-12-2018, 09:23 PM   #4
Windblown _Traveler

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbdRahim View Post
Gas cap - check auto parts store for the year and model of your chassis. Fresh water - good luck. I have been looking for a way to secure the fresh water inlet for years. They have them in Europe, but haven't found one here.
Yes, thank you. I'd been checking Amazon for the water tank cap and found the item below just unsure of the dit.
I'm thinking that perhaps it's worth a try.
My c jasis is an E450 so hadn't considered he local shops.
I will try that and see.
httpssss://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B07CSRFG1Z/ref=ox_sc_act_image_1?smid=A3C8YKGW3F5UNV&psc=1
Old 08-12-2018, 09:24 PM   #5
Windblown _Traveler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duckogram View Post
Stant 10508 for the gas cap.
FW tank fill requires replacing the port.
Thank you for that. I will get one.
Old 08-13-2018, 10:22 AM   #6
Always Learning

In all of my years, I've never heard of anyone messing with fresh water. Short of a Mad Max/Water World situation, I think it's fine to leave unlocked.
Old 08-13-2018, 11:37 AM   #7
Windblown _Traveler

Not for me. To each their own.

Thanks,
Old 08-13-2018, 12:45 PM   #8
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by msbilton View Post
Not for me. To each their own.
I'm genuinely curious and don't intend to argue. But, do you mind me asking what scenario you're concerned about? And, have you heard of it happening or do you just think it could happen?
Old 08-13-2018, 01:08 PM   #9
Windblown _Traveler

Im not sure why it is that you feel the need to question my concerns or needs.

I do not care to explain nor describe my why's or why not as to what Im seeking for my own needs. I have no wish to justify what it is that I'm concerned with.

I can appreciate your opinion from your personal experiences and your point of view.

To each their own, this is mine.

Kindest Regards
Old 08-13-2018, 01:15 PM   #10
Empty Nesters

There is some good info in this thread that may help you to find what you are looking for:

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...ap-165846.html
Old 08-13-2018, 01:42 PM   #11
Always Learning

Quote:
Im not sure why it is that you feel the need to question my concerns or needs.

I do not care to explain nor describe my why's or why not as to what Im seeking for my own needs. I have no wish to justify what it is that I'm concerned with.

I can appreciate your opinion from your personal experiences and your point of view.

To each their own, this is mine.

Kindest Regards
Old 08-13-2018, 01:47 PM   #12
Windblown _Traveler

KenandCarol,

Thank You
Old 08-13-2018, 02:02 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
In all of my years, I've never heard of anyone messing with fresh water. Short of a Mad Max/Water World situation, I think it's fine to leave unlocked.
I’m in your camp! 40 years camping and have never heard of a fresh water 💦 problem.🌝
Filterman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 04:27 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
I'm genuinely curious and don't intend to argue. But, do you mind me asking what scenario you're concerned about? And, have you heard of it happening or do you just think it could happen?

X 2 I've heard the "paranoids" are active in campgrounds.

pdqparalegal1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 04:45 PM   #15

Well I have heard of it - one place kids were putting stones in an RV fw tank. And there. are a lot of crazies out there. I prefer to lock everything I can. My boss once thought I was excessive for locking my car in my driveway. Sometimes I lock it in my locked garage. I did have someone break into the house once and try to steal the unlocked car. Better safe than sorry, is the way I think. I am glad incidents are rare, but respect for other people's property seems to be becoming more and more rare these days. It is truly sad to see.

I enquirer at a dealership about replacing the entire inlet, but they did not feel comfortable with the idea - drilling into the fiberglass, not knowing what was behind it in that area. I am not sure why a simple locking cap is seemingly not available in the U.S., but if anybody finds a good quality one, I will be the first to buy it.
Old 08-13-2018, 04:58 PM   #16
Windblown _Traveler

Quote:
Well I have heard of it - one place kids were putting stones in an RV fw tank. And there. are a lot of crazies out there. I prefer to lock everything I can. My boss once thought I was excessive for locking my car in my driveway. Sometimes I lock it in my locked garage. I did have someone break into the house once and try to steal the unlocked car. Better safe than sorry, is the way I think. I am glad incidents are rare, but respect for other people's property seems to be becoming more and more rare these days. It is truly sad to see.

I enquirer at a dealership about replacing the entire inlet, but they did not feel comfortable with the idea - drilling into the fiberglass, not knowing what was behind it in that area. I am not sure why a simple locking cap is seemingly not available in the U.S., but if anybody finds a good quality one, I will be the first to buy it.
I have orderwd the one that I mentioned to you from Amazon, I will let you know after checking it fit.

I'm not going to be bothered with explaining to others what my experiences are and why I need it. Call it Paranoia, call it normal response to security measures or whatever one chooses. My choice, my money, my need Period. No need to answer to someone else's arrogance.
Old 08-13-2018, 04:59 PM   #17
2012 Solera

Something like this might work - if it can be procured wth the right thread, or used with an adapter:

https://www.amazon.com/Heating-Tank-...ct_top?ie=UTF8

Edit: someone else found one in another thread!

https://www.amazon.com/JR-Products-A.../dp/B00OKNXJPG
JLeising is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 05:16 PM   #18

There is nothing really secure about those plastic fill doors. I suppose the best security they offer is evidence of tampering if broken as they are easily pried open. As far as locking gas caps go, they keep honest people honest and for the true thief, the just create more cost when the filler neck has to be replaced if damaged than the cost of the lost fuel.
Splitshaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 05:21 PM   #19

Quote:
I have orderwd the one that I mentioned to you from Amazon, I will let you know after checking it fit.

I'm not going to be bothered with explaining to others what my experiences are and why I need it. Call it Paranoia, call it normal response to security measures or whatever one chooses. My choice, my money, my need Period. No need to answer to someone else's arrogance.

Cool. I just noticed that you had a Forester also.
Did you see this one?
https://www.amazon.com/JR-Products-J...TNA774QEPJKQ3P
Old 08-13-2018, 05:40 PM   #20
Windblown _Traveler

Quote:
Cool. I just noticed that you had a Forester also.
Did you see this one?
https://www.amazon.com/JR-Products-J...TNA774QEPJKQ3P
Thanks. Yes I did see that one. I may try it, if the one that I ordered doesn't fit.

Tags
water tank, water, fresh water, tank, lock