Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-23-2018, 08:18 PM   #41

Just my two cents:
Issue #1 Locking Gas cap: a locking gas cap will keep people from adding something to your gas tank, all filler necks have anti siphon inserts so it will not make you more of a target for someone with a cordless drill and a pencil. Go ahead and get a locking gas cap
Second, if you are worried about someone contaminating your fresh water tank, do what I did: work in a ball valve upgrade/change to fill the fresh water tank from the city water, I can now seal off the standard fresh water fill neck and just make the vent larger so as not to expand the fresh water tank too fast and cause it to rupture. Fresh water contamination will now be eliminated because when the fresh water tank is full you shut the ball valve and seal the inlet to the tank.
So all we have left is the city water inlet, I am currently thinking of moving the inlet into the rear storage compartment, hidden, and adding a small door to run the hose in for connection.

Let me know your thoughts.

It's not rocket science, just real world engineering.
Gene_M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2018, 09:37 PM   #42

My post was presumptuous and in the wrong and i do apologize for that. Speaking for myself, I was curious if there are events happening that would cause one to consider locking the FW.

No paranoia cracks were intended. My Yosemite trip was cancelled twice last year because a disgruntled employee of the campground put manure into the camps FW well. The health dept closed them down for over 6 mo. That would be a nightmare if done to the rv's FW system and a locking cap might help prevent it.

Just wondering if it's one of those stupid "challenges" floating around the internet.

Again, sorry.
Old 08-23-2018, 10:36 PM   #43
I'm Lost

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
I'm genuinely curious and don't intend to argue. But, do you mind me asking what scenario you're concerned about? And, have you heard of it happening or do you just think it could happen?

I did my Signature 8310SS four years ago and moved my batteries into the rear compartment after they were stolen.

This is similar to what I posted on the other thread, Lockable Water Cap;

Why did many or most health units make open ice bins under commercial ice machines illegal, many a hotel owner found puke or pee in the ice.

Why do they seal screw off lids on food and drinks (UK poison in baby food).

Back in 2013 or 14, in a Niagara Falls storage yard a 16 year old contaminated 7 or 8 TT water tanks to get even with his girlfriend's parents after a botched camping trip he went with them on, according to the press he couldn't remember what the trailer looked like so he did the whole row (he was drunk).

Yes I agree with the OP on this.
All you need is to have a deterrent for the average perp as you'll not stop anyone who is really determined; that's why we put locks on our doors, just to stop the average criminal.

Geoff
2023 F150 Lariat 502A (After all rebates, price protection and dealer discounts, I saved $12,600Cdn. (Cavalcade Ford). If pays to shop dealers! (April 2023)
wabakami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2018, 06:59 AM   #44

It is sad that the world is coming to this. So many have forgotten to respect others.

While I have not heard of these things happening I am sure that they do.

I remember having locking gas caps and wheel locks of the 1970's until I found that they really do not even slow anyone down.

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2017 Wildwood Lodge 4092 BFL
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxer Mix
Oaklevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2018, 12:11 PM   #45
Canadian Member

IMO, if you really actually need this level of protection, you should reconsider where you're parking your camper. RVing is supposed to be fun. Worrying about contamination of your gas tank and your FW is not fun. Move to somewhere else.

And let's not take this thread down the "people these days" road.
2011 Rockwood Signature 8293SS (2015 - 2018)
2010 Rockwood Roo 23SS (2012 - 2014)

itat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2018, 12:17 PM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gene_M View Post
Just my two cents:
Issue #1 Locking Gas cap: a locking gas cap will keep people from adding something to your gas tank, all filler necks have anti siphon inserts so it will not make you more of a target for someone with a cordless drill and a pencil. Go ahead and get a locking gas cap
Second, if you are worried about someone contaminating your fresh water tank, do what I did: work in a ball valve upgrade/change to fill the fresh water tank from the city water, I can now seal off the standard fresh water fill neck and just make the vent larger so as not to expand the fresh water tank too fast and cause it to rupture. Fresh water contamination will now be eliminated because when the fresh water tank is full you shut the ball valve and seal the inlet to the tank.
So all we have left is the city water inlet, I am currently thinking of moving the inlet into the rear storage compartment, hidden, and adding a small door to run the hose in for connection.

Let me know your thoughts.

It's not rocket science, just real world engineering.

Great idea. I wish I were that handy. Perhaps that could be done by my local mobile repair guy. So far, I have been able to only rudimentary mods. I have never worked with pex, etc., so I have a lot to learn.

Except for cutting cost, I don't know why they don't come that way. Considering the lack of quality control on these things, perhaps it is better to leave it to the end user.
AbdRahim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2018, 06:17 PM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by itat View Post
IMO, if you really actually need this level of protection, you should reconsider where you're parking your camper. RVing is supposed to be fun. Worrying about contamination of your gas tank and your FW is not fun. Move to somewhere else.

And let's not take this thread down the "people these days" road.
I agree but the hard cold fact is there are those people out there.

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2017 Wildwood Lodge 4092 BFL
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxer Mix
Oaklevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2018, 06:49 PM   #48

I have recently purchased a forester 3011ds and DW insisted on locking water cap
I purchased the baoblaze city gravity fill and went to install it only to find that the forester uses a different size fill tube. So it did not fit, kind of the same for their water filters, the are getting to proprietary
drutzen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2018, 06:59 PM   #49
Canadian Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oaklevel View Post
I agree but the hard cold fact is there are those people out there.

Sure, but those people are not anywhere near where we’ve camped. Campgrounds usually don’t attract that crowd so the OP must be parking their RV somewhere else that does attract those types. If I’m that worried, I’m going to pack up and go somewhere else.
2011 Rockwood Signature 8293SS (2015 - 2018)
2010 Rockwood Roo 23SS (2012 - 2014)

itat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2018, 09:38 PM   #50
Who Dares, Wins

Quote:
Originally Posted by itat View Post
Sure, but those people are not anywhere near where we’ve camped. Campgrounds usually don’t attract that crowd so the OP must be parking their RV somewhere else that does attract those types. If I’m that worried, I’m going to pack up and go somewhere else.
I assure you that they are there.. The people who are truly there to harm / do something wrong you will never see or even take notice too.

Pat, Jen, Heather & Sapphire, the head mouser.
2015 Chevy HD D-Max
2022 Impression 315MB
doc73 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
water tank, water, fresh water, tank, lock