Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-15-2019, 09:56 PM   #1

AGAIN! AirBag dash light on- Pass Seatbelt Pretensioner

Had the same issue back in April of 2017, but solved it by unplugging the yellow connector under the seat and clearing the error code with my new professional OBD scanner. Then getting ready to drive home Thursday, the light came on and no matter what I try I can't find the problem and it won't clear the codes. Even went out and bought a new Pretensioner from Ford. Still won't clear the code. Acrtually, I think it does clear it but it come right back a few seconds later. I'm way out of warranty. Anyone think an auto electric shop could figure it out or am I stuck with a Ford dealer if they will take me. We didn't run the generator much on the trip as solar kept the house batteries full so the BIM and converter charger didn't have a chance to charge the engine battery. When I was searching for the source of the problem, I tested the engine battery and alternator and both are fine. The engine battery could have dropped to 12.4v just before starting for home. But I don't think that would have caused the problem. I also disconnected the negative cable from the battery for 30 minutes and that fialed and then tried disconnecting both negative and positive cables from the battery andput them together for 30 minutes. Still failed to solve the problem.
The codes are B1 213:13-8B and B1213-13
2018 Camping 10 trips 38 nights
2019 Camping 6 trips 19 nights
2020 Camping 0 trips Cancellations 6
Sagecoachdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2019, 12:21 AM   #2

Read an article about the Airbag system. Seems there is a battery backup and when it get depleted the Airbag warning light appears. It's suppose to be self correcting when it's recharged. So until it gets charged, the dash light will still appear. But the dash light needs a pro scanner tool to clear the code which I have.
So since the motorhome sat for 4 days without any charging of the engine battery, the parasitic drains probably took their toll on backup system. I will wait a week and charge the engine battery daily with my solar 100w suitcase isolating it from the house batteries while doing so. Then hook it up to the house system the rest of the day and night which is hooked up to shoreline power. I don't think the BIM is doing a very good job of keeping the engine battery fully charged.
Will post my results later next week.
Old 06-16-2019, 09:44 AM   #3

Did find the airbag control module under the driver's seat and all wires are connected. Going to continue waiting to see if the capacitor charges and allows me to clear it. Otherwise, it's going into the dealer.
Old 06-16-2019, 10:46 AM   #4

If you replaced the tensioner then it has to be a wiring problem or module. Does not have to go to the dealer and definitely not an RV dealer. Body shops deal with air bag codes almost daily. Auto electric shop or any shop strong in electrical repair can handle it.
JPin AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2019, 11:45 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPin AZ View Post
If you replaced the tensioner then it has to be a wiring problem or module. Does not have to go to the dealer and definitely not an RV dealer. Body shops deal with air bag codes almost daily. Auto electric shop or any shop strong in electrical repair can handle it.
Thanks, I think it's the module. Will call around to Auto electric shops tomorrow. any idea how long it should take to charge the capacitor and does the engine need to be running?
Old 06-16-2019, 12:34 PM   #6

Check your owner's manual. Seat belt and airbags might be covered for a longer period of time.
FROG Member
FMCA Member #F438633 - Good Sam Life Member
Coachmens Owners Group Member
ResQfrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 08:57 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by ResQfrog View Post
Check your owner's manual. Seat belt and airbags might be covered for a longer period of time.
Friday, I called around for a dealer that would take my MH leaving messages. First called me back 5 hours later and I set up an appointment. They said there were no recalls or warranty. Another called me back yesterday and the first thing they wanted was the Vin and they would call me back shortly. When they did, they said it was under the safety warranty and would be covered if modifications to the system weren't made by the MH manufacturer. I said great and have an appointment for Thursday. They also said that they don't stock the parts that may be needed so they may want me to leave it. We will see Thursday. The service guy said that they start with the engine battery and it must be fully charged and tested as this could be the issue. If more than 3 years old he recommends changing it. I went to the closer first dealer and bought a new battery as I have had the MH for almost 4 years and I'm sure the battery is closer to 5 years old as the cut aways sit at FR for months before being built. He said to drive it around and see if the dash light goes out or if I can clear it with my pro scanner.
Old 06-20-2019, 05:58 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sagecoachdriver View Post
Friday, I called around for a dealer that would take my MH leaving messages. First called me back 5 hours later and I set up an appointment. They said there were no recalls or warranty. Another called me back yesterday and the first thing they wanted was the Vin and they would call me back shortly. When they did, they said it was under the safety warranty and would be covered if modifications to the system weren't made by the MH manufacturer. I said great and have an appointment for Thursday. They also said that they don't stock the parts that may be needed so they may want me to leave it. We will see Thursday. The service guy said that they start with the engine battery and it must be fully charged and tested as this could be the issue. If more than 3 years old he recommends changing it. I went to the closer first dealer and bought a new battery as I have had the MH for almost 4 years and I'm sure the battery is closer to 5 years old as the cut aways sit at FR for months before being built. He said to drive it around and see if the dash light goes out or if I can clear it with my pro scanner.

Sage,

I was going to say- to hook up a trickle charger to teh battery and leave it for a few days and try it- but it looks like you got a new battery.
That may fix it.

We use Air Bag Express at our body shops for SRS issues.
Not sure if they will come to a residence but maybe worth a try if you still have the issue.

Home - Airbag Express
Old 06-21-2019, 11:28 PM   #9

Problem Solved! I took it to the second dealer I spoke with and took the MH in yesterday and got it back this afternoon. Seat belt buckle, no charge as it was covered under the safety warranty.
Happy camper now!

Tags
forester, light