Old 12-20-2013, 09:14 PM   #1

Air added to air shocks???

Does anyone know how, if and when air should be added to the airbags of the air shocks? Ours is a 2012 Forester 3011 Tks

Old 12-20-2013, 09:32 PM   #2

I keep mine at or close to 100%. But i'm sure someone will jump in and tell me how I am destroying the rig...lol. I use a tire gauge to read the amount. Anything less and I drag the jacks a lot.

Old 12-20-2013, 09:46 PM   #3

The air bags can be inflated anywhere from 5 to 100 psi (100 is max). It is mostly a matter of personal preference. Higher pressure will be helpful if towing something. Also it stiffens the ride if you are fighting a cross wind. Otherwise just experiment with your MH loaded and try different amount of air and see how you like the ride. I keep mine at about 60 psi (and don't tow anything).

On my Sunseeker the valve on either side is located in the outside compartments closest to the rear wheels on each side. They are covered with a small plastic cap. Be very careful inflating. They are small and don't take much air. Use very small squirts of air and check pressure. If you fill them like a tire (even a bike tire) you will explode them.

They can be inflated to different pressures if you are not loaded evenly. Take a good look at the rear of your MH and see if you are level left to right. A look from the side will check front to back, which probably will ride better if you are a little lower in the front than the back.

They are a very helpful feature. How you use them is largely a matter of personal preference which comes from some experimenting.
Old 12-21-2013, 03:31 AM   #4

X2 with Bill, I keep mine at 70. That setting is definitely rougher riding that 50. But in addition, when you raise the rear end with these air bags. It improves the handling on the rig by transferring some weight to the front steering axle. This really helps the rig.

I've found my rig rides best with the tire air pressure at 75 rear and 70 front with air bags at 50 psi. But when I'm traveling I have the rear duals at 80 psi, fronts 75 psi, and the air bags at 70 psi. It's rough but I feel safer.
Old 12-21-2013, 06:11 AM   #5

I measured the height of my wheelwells with no load in the truck and no air in the shocks. This is where I would like my truck to stay. I then loaded up and added air to maintain that height. For me it seems 60lbs is what it takes. What I find is when I arrive and unload I need to air out or I have a very bumpy ride. I just use a bike pump to inflate.
Old 12-21-2013, 11:51 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by blevinseve View Post
Does anyone know how, if and when air should be added to the airbags of the air shocks? Ours is a 2012 Forester 3011 Tks
From the Firestone manual on the air bags:

Maximum pressure - 100 psi and a minimum of 20 psi.

Other information found - as a general rule, the air bags will support approximately 40 lbs for each psi. As weight is added to the vehicle the air bags become an active part of the suspension system. As more pressure is added to the air bags, they will support more weight thereby reducing sway and handling problems.

The location of the fill port is as Bill stated, the first compartment behind the rear axle on each side of the MH. I suggest checking with an accurate gauge. The bags don't take a lot of air so I adjust mine with a air chuck/tire gauge/air control valve all in one unit that way I can control the air going in and monitor the pressure as it fills the bags. I have a unit like this: Campbell Hausfeld MP6000 Tire Inflator with Gauge - Amazon.com
Old 01-28-2014, 05:42 PM   #7
ETF

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeRP View Post
But when I'm traveling I have the rear duals at 80 psi, fronts 75 psi, and the air bags at 70 psi. It's rough but I feel safer.
That's me and I don't find it all that rough. In fact I find that the steering is much less "vague" when everything is run at those pressures.
Old 03-02-2014, 04:33 PM   #8

What does everyone use to add air to the shocks ??
Old 03-02-2014, 07:15 PM   #9

I use the Campbell Hausefeld MP6000. Works perfect for adding air - the trigger allows good control for charging air to small air bags.

Campbell Hausfeld MP6000 Tire Inflator with Gauge - Amazon.com
Old 03-02-2014, 08:53 PM   #10

Bgilly- what is your air source??