Old 06-10-2016, 02:16 AM   #1

Air Conditioner Problem

Last weekend, our a/c went out on our 2016 3171DS. It ran for a few minutes on shore power at the campground and then just stopped. It tripped the circuit breaker on the 20 amp line. We reset that and then it wouldn't run on electric or the generator. Shortly thereafter, all the power to the campground went out. We did the usual flipping of circuit breakers, resetting the GFI, and making sure the thermostat was working. When we got home from our trip, DH found a loose wire in the unit in the ceiling. A Dometic repair person told DH on the phone that Dometic's warranty would not cover anything inside the coach and that it was a Forest River problem. He also said that 80% of the work is just figuring out what is wrong and that since he already found the loose wire, my husband should just fix it himself.

Just thought I would mention what the problem was in case someone here encounters the same issue.

Old 06-10-2016, 03:51 AM   #2
SYE
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pixey View Post
Last weekend, our a/c went out on our 2016 3171DS. It ran for a few minutes on shore power at the campground and then just stopped. It tripped the circuit breaker on the 20 amp line. We reset that and then it wouldn't run on electric or the generator. Shortly thereafter, all the power to the campground went out. We did the usual flipping of circuit breakers, resetting the GFI, and making sure the thermostat was working. When we got home from our trip, DH found a loose wire in the unit in the ceiling. A Dometic repair person told DH on the phone that Dometic's warranty would not cover anything inside the coach and that it was a Forest River problem. He also said that 80% of the work is just figuring out what is wrong and that since he already found the loose wire, my husband should just fix it himself.

Just thought I would mention what the problem was in case someone here encounters the same issue.
I fix about 90% of my items whether it is under warranty or not. It is simpler that way so I do not get mad talking to someone over the phone or a technician at the dealer that you know more than. Like the one time I was told that the ground wire was shorting out against the frame, strange, the frame is connected to ground at the battery. So this is why I try to fix everything myself.

Camped 2012 19, 2013 110, 2014 129, 2015 97
2016 93, 2017 79 Nights Camped 2018 4 nights reserved
SYE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2016, 03:02 PM   #3

I am having a similar problem which I posted about a couple of weeks ago.

AC not working during pre-trip shakedown

Since I had to have some warranty work done this week I dropped it off Monday and asked them to check the AC because of the issues I was having. Sadly 5 days later the dealer told me that they have yet to check the AC and that their 30 & 50A service is out of commission and needs to be repaired before they can check it. I promptly told him to start the generator and check it using that for power. Why they could not do that on their own is beyond me. I really need to find a different dealer to service my RV as this is really not working.

RVr
Old 06-10-2016, 03:05 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pixey View Post

Pixey, you did not mention if fixing the loose wire resolved your issue, and if it did, would you mind telling us which wire it was?
Old 06-13-2016, 01:48 AM   #5

Yes, attaching the two wires together fixed the problem. DH says it was a yellow wire and it obviously had been attached at some point as the two wires were taped together, but the yellow one had pulled out of the connector.

Tags
air conditioner