Old 01-19-2016, 05:49 PM   #1
Alignment specs

Can anyone tell me who to contact to get the Forrester specs for a front end alignment. I have a 2016 2291S on a 2014 3500 Chevy chassis.
Also I'm wanting to install a steering stabilizer. Can anybody suggest the best one and tell me if it should be installed before the alignment or after?
Many thanks.

Cope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2016, 07:54 PM   #2
Oklahoma Proud
Most alignment shops or truck shops that can do gm 3500 trucks should be able to give you specs. Now how your going to be able to align it yourself without a machine will prove to be almost impossible unless you have a lot of front end experience....and even then its very difficult.
Most of the gm dealers i worked for that had fleet, could service big gm trucks.

On the stabilizer, it doesn't matter when you do it, it has no effect at all on alignment, it mostly only cushions the effect of road imperfections thru the steering wheel.

Personally, no matter what vehicle it i like to have the caster set as far positive as i can, try to keep camber about neutral or slightly negative and set the toe in a little.

MillerTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2016, 05:41 AM   #3
Thank you for the reply. There's no way I'd try to do it! I read somewhere that Forrester had different specs then Chevy. Maybe I'm nuts.
The front end seems "loose". From reading this forum I've decided to replace the shocks, add a steering stabilizer and get a front end alignment.
Your opinion on that?
Appreciate your help.
Cope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2016, 09:04 AM   #4
2016 Chevy 2251 (smaller 24 ft unit)

My alignment guy only gave me a "verbal".
I believe he set tow at "0", camber at "0" and caster at "+5".
I believe he added 1 degree of caster to help with the wandering.
That helped significantly.
I added a Roadmaster Reflex steering stabilizer with a self centering spring and Bilstein shocks in the front.

All that cost me about $500. Installed myself in a couple of hours.

The difference is tremendous IMO.
Minimal if no wandering now. Less wind push.
No jounce over road transitions and bumps.

On a good road and no or minimal wind- 2 finger driving.
Worth every penny of the $500.

If you go to an alignment shop- make sure they understand motorhome alignments.
Many do not. These things leave the factory preset. Chevy does not know what will be done with them. They could become ambulances, box delivery trucks, contractor trucks or MH's.
Class C motorhomes have significantly more weight over the front axle and require a different setup.

My opinion- do all 3 steps. You will not regret it.
"If you are going through hell..keep going"
W. Churchill
Total Loss is offline   Reply With Quote