Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-29-2016, 08:27 AM   #1

Amateur Radio Installation

I have a 2013 2690 and want to hard install an amateur radio (IC706). The plan was to mount the radio under the couch/bed, run power to it from the house batteries under the cabin steps. The antenna tuner would go under the couch too if possible, and run the antenna coax under the chassis in a pvc pipe lashed to the frame running to an antenna mount on the rear bumper. There is already an audio amp under that couch with wires that appeared to penetrate the floor but viewed from underneath there appear to be no holes. The battery compartment already has a hole where the battery ground is attached to the chassis, so running power from the batteries to the outside is easy. However once outside I haven't found any way of getting the power back inside under the couch.

My hope is that someone of you has figured out how, or if having found a better way could tell me about it.
tnx
Geri N4GHI
Geri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2016, 10:52 AM   #2

I have a 2004 Georgetown so things might be a bit different, I had similar challenges. On thing I found was that I have a double floor with the heat ducts and water, and possibly some electrical using the space. I could never drill through both floor levels because I kept running into metal.

I finally found a wire bundle coming from battery and fuse box under the step into area under the sink. I was able to chip away at the foam insulation enough to get the power and coax through that area (via one of the basement storage boxes). I put a bulkhead connector on the cabinet wall for the coax and left a T-connector for the power.

That does not put the antenna and power where I wanted to use the radio so I have to route antenna and power extensions over the door to my table.

I did run my coax along the frame to an antenna on the top luggage rack (fold down VHF/UFH). Instead of PVC, I used the ribbed, split wire protector that you will find in the engine compartment. It's available at local auto stores by the foot and should be easier to work with than the PVC.

In retrospect, it may have easier for me to run the power and cables through the engine compartment because there are more existing access holes. At the time I had no plans of using the radio while under way.

I have not added HF to the RV yet but know the challenges when I get ready.

Hope this at least gives you some ideas on how to proceed.

Good luck.
KG7JCA
coupevillefish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2016, 04:27 PM   #3

In my 2801 I ran power from the house batteries under the living room slide (between slide and floor) to the radio on the far side of the couch. I mounted a Diamond ngp 2m/440 antenna on the side mirror mount and brought the coax in behind the door hinge and in at the bottom of the door (route under the plastic step or along the the of it to the radio. I used the antenna mount from a Freightliner Casida - sold in Pilot truck stops. Has worked very well.
AbdRahim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2016, 08:32 AM   #4

Amateur Radio Install

Gave up for now as just couldn't find any clear pathways but I'm sure its only a question of time. tnx for ideas
geri N4GHI
Geri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2016, 12:39 PM   #5

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1465753139.213733.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	99.9 KB
ID:	110899
AbdRahim is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
radio