Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-07-2018, 12:16 PM   #1

Another slide corner 3170 crack

my 2013 3170ds just developed these at 20k miles. I've read a lot of other threads on it here and thought I'd share.

Cornerstone 3 year warranty started in Feb 2017 is declining to cover as well.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180502_165155.jpg
Views:	157
Size:	183.2 KB
ID:	170983   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180502_165219.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	153.9 KB
ID:	170984  
Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2018, 12:18 PM   #2
Certified Curmudgeon

Does not look like your photo’s posted.
Old 05-08-2018, 08:50 PM   #3

Updated with the pictures. I'm upset by the bait and switch on cornerstone and plan to be calling them to understand just what is actually covered as it was sold to me as the best coverage.
Old 05-08-2018, 09:06 PM   #4
Certified Curmudgeon

It looks like stress cracks possibly caused by the slide frame flexing. I’m not familiar with your model. What type of slide mechanism does it use?
Old 05-08-2018, 09:53 PM   #5

My 2014 3170 has the crack on the couch slide. Started just after factory warranty expired. I have been watching it for 4 years. Runs from the corner to the seam behind the molding. No change and gap has not opened up. This has been discussed extensively on the forum as you know. Some have repaired and the crack returned, some I believe have had a successful repair. I opted to monitor.
I think the crack started showing up on the 2013 models. Only on a few did the crack show up while under factory warranty.
Some have drilled a small hole to stop the crack and filled with a 2 part epoxy, followed by a little paint.
Move your slide out and place your hand over the crack. If it is flexing, I would think you could feel it. Best of luck and keep,us informed as to the resolution.
Garrette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 09:33 AM   #6

Thanks, I do notice a little flex, probably just enough to crack the fiberglass... I will monitor and put some trim over it once I'm comfortable it is not growing.

Is there a way to adjust the stops? I notice the couch slide (driver's side) retracts further than the bunk slide (passenger's side) and actually deflects the molding on the slide a little as it pulls in.

Two different slide types I believe, for whatever reason. One clicks when it reaches the limits and the other doesn't. They also just sound different, so I'm assuming they're different slide types.

Thanks all.
Old 05-12-2018, 08:11 AM   #7

You assume correctly, there are two different slide types. See LCI.com for guides, owners manuals, troubleshooting guides and helpful videos.
The clicking is an internal torque limiter that protects the gearbox. If this slide ever makes a different noise, stop and pull it in. I had a pin in the gearbox to shear. Did sound strange so I stopped the deployment and retracted.
My couch slide trim also flexes when retracted, never really worried about it. Figure the seals are good and sealed. Not sure if there are rail stops or it works on the torque limiter.
The bedroom slide is a swintek slide by LCI. Totally different. When deploying and retracting, keep the button depressed for about 10 seconds after the slide has stopped. This helps the little stepper motors to stay in sync. You may hear a faint clicking sound, this is normal. Find you controller and understand how to override. Hopefully, you will never need the information.
Garrette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2018, 12:14 PM   #8

Great info, thank you.

Tags
crack, slide, 3170