Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-21-2014, 09:50 PM   #1

Arctic Package

The Technician during our PDI told us that the Arctic Package heaters were only on the Black tank. I was under the impression that the heaters were on Black, Grey and Fresh. Does anyone know for sure?
It is in the 20's & 30's here and I am debating de winterizing for a short trip next weekend vs. leaving it winterized and using carried water for the toilet facilities and only using the black tank.
Gilm2113 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2014, 09:54 PM   #2
Average Joe

It's on the gray and black tank. If you run your furnace, it'll blow warm air down there and keep everything from freezing.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums

Southern Maryland and Beyond!

MrJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2014, 09:56 PM   #3

Thanks Mr. Joe.
Old 11-22-2014, 11:48 AM   #4
Anacortesians

On our older GT motor-home, they're on black and grey tanks only. The FW tank is in the living area (in a cupboard at the foot of the bed) and is considered warm enough not to need freeze protection.

We always drain the FW when the rig isn't in use. Since we don't travel in very cold weather, and overnight lows where we live are rarely below 25F, we've never used the Arctic Pack in the 4 years we've owned the RV.

After reading that the built-in non adjustable thermostats don't shut off until the tank contents get to 65F, I wasn't too keen on using the system anyway. Four heaters, each drawing 7 amps from the house battery system didn't seem to be a very good idea either.
Old 11-22-2014, 09:47 PM   #5

Thanks F & E for the information. I am trying to decide if it is worth de-winterizing for a quick three day trip. It is more driving then camping. If we do go we will have shore power so not too concerned about the power draw this time but good info for when we are boondocking in some of Idaho's Forest Service campgrounds.
Old 11-22-2014, 09:57 PM   #6
Average Joe

We've taken jugs of water instead of using the water lines. Worked well for us and didn't have to de-winterize. Just drained the waste tanks and poured a little antifreeze into the sink traps and we were done.

Old 11-22-2014, 10:01 PM   #7

That's what I was thinking of doing. It sure would be easier. We will be putting the unit to bed for the winter after this trip. We just wanted to take it somewhere at least one time to enjoy our new toy.
Old 11-22-2014, 10:14 PM   #8
Average Joe

We did that, too. We got ours last year in the fall and didn't park it for the winter until January. Coldest night was 15 degrees, high winds and snowing. Using the water jugs we never had a problem.

Old 11-22-2014, 10:57 PM   #9

Thanks, talking to my wife her preference is to water it up. Will have to see how it goes!
Old 11-22-2014, 11:45 PM   #10

On our 2012 GT 378XL our artic pack is heaters on the black. grey and fresh water also the elbows above the dump valves have wraps on the to keep valves from freezing.
&
Our Baby Dachshund
Cammie
ramair is offline   Reply With Quote