Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-02-2013, 06:27 AM   #1

arctic package include?

Would like to know what does the arctic package include? We have a 3051S class C 2013
raydee66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 06:58 AM   #2

It's an option. A dealer would have to order it that way - it's not automatically added.
bgilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 07:30 AM   #3

Ray,
Heating pads on the gray and black tanks, and a heat duct in the compartment with the water filter. Maybe some more ducts I haven't seen. Don't know if there's extra insulation.
2014 Forester 3051s
2013 Fiat 500 Sport
Workin on my Curmudgeon badge
rapiniii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 07:58 AM   #4

I must have read the OP wrong (too early in the am I guess). Sorry about that.
Ed is right, it includes great pads on the two waste tanks. The duct from the furnace is standard equipped (there with or without arctic package.
Old 12-02-2013, 07:56 PM   #5

I recommend that you go to the Sunseeker sub forum, search on arctic, and read a thread on this topic from February. Even the factory rep says you probably don't need it unless you are driving in a really cold climate and don't want to run the furnace. That's because the tanks are now enclosed and heated via the furnace.
'94 Coleman Cedar Pop Up
paulmlac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 10:35 PM   #6
Average Joe

Are the pads 12 volt or 120?

Southern Maryland and Beyond!

MrJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 10:50 PM   #7

Most F/R products use 12V pads. Youroo!!
youroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 10:53 PM   #8
Average Joe

Quote:
Originally Posted by youroo View Post
Most F/R products use 12V pads. Youroo!!
Thanks Youroo !

Old 12-02-2013, 10:57 PM   #9

What another FR owner posted on the Arctic option: http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...1&d=1381443644

I forgot about the thermostats and the fixed temp. range.

Bobby
Old 12-02-2013, 11:16 PM   #10
Average Joe

Says to turn it off while on shore or generator? Guessing my batteries won't be very happy for extended usage.

Old 12-03-2013, 12:15 AM   #11
Anacortesians

Our 02 has this stupid system. I've disconnected it. It may have changed in the intervening years since '02, so look at your documentation carefully.

The system on our rig consists of two heating pads on each of the black and grey tanks. There's nothing on the potable tank, presumably because its within the "living area" (in a cupboard under the bedroom wardrobes).

Each heater pad (my rig has two on each tank) has a built-in. non-adjustable thermostat. The heaters are turned on when the t/stat senses 40F, which is reasonable if the tanks are fairly full and the ambient temp is dropping. The dumb thing is they stay on until the tanks contents are heated to 60+. My documentation says 64 F. Who the hell wants to heat their sewage to 64 degrees.

I had expected the system to be similar to the "Frost-stats" you can get for exposed residential pipes, on at 35, off at 39.

They're 12 volts dc powered and each element (my rig has four) draws 7 amps. I have absolutely no interest in drawing 28 amps from my house batteries to heat the sewage to 64 degrees. I can think of a lot of other things to do with that power.

Since we park the rig in mid-October, I've disconnected the dumb system. I can't imagine why anyone who has read the system specs would ever consider it.

BTW, there doesn't seem to be any logic in the control system to determine whether there's anything in the tanks. I'd be concerned that a 3" x 8" heater consuming 84 watts would have the potential to melt the plastic tank.

That's all the "Artic pack (FR's label makers don't know the difference between a British 18 wheeler (an "artic" )and something to do with the frigid northern regions "arctic"). For those not familiar with UK slang, an 18-wheeler is officially an "articulated lorry", abbreviated to "artic".