Old 10-19-2015, 04:52 PM   #11
Originally Posted by Wormturner View Post
Heard back from FR. Apparently the heaters need 13.5v (not 12v or 120v) and when the batteries run down to less than that, they won't work. So when the generator is turned on, they get the 13.5v they need and the switch lights up to show they are working.
Interesting. I have the same Arctic Pak and I'm not sure how much use I would get out of it since the times when I would really want it I wouldn't be hooked to shore power and I'm confident they would drain the coach batteries. Nevertheless with a 13.5v requirement maybe that would help save the batteries by cutting the Arctic Pak off, then again seems like the functionality would be diminished anyway.

2016 Forester MBS 2401S
dukeboone is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2015, 05:01 PM   #12
12 volt heating pads besides being battery killers as already mentioned are also woefully inefficient. The best way to go and the one that makes sense are the enclosed tanks that are heated by a furnace duct that runs directly to them. When it's cold enough to run the furnace it's heating your tanks as well without the addition of another electrical device that can malfunction. And of course to the compartment where the dump valves are located are heated well.
But pads are better than nothing when temps drop to below freezing.

Up North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2015, 11:38 PM   #13
I hope everyone keeps in mind that one night of below 32 degrees followed by a day of even a little above freezing temps - especially for plumbing covered from the elements and freezing temps would never require heat packs to be turned on at all.
2015 Forester 3051S
TOAD: 2016 Lincoln MKX
Creativepart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2015, 05:43 AM   #14
We have the Arctic Pak on our Sunseeker and I don't use it. When it's below freezing we are always using the propane furnace. It heats the tanks, water pump/filter compartment, and sewer connection compartment.

Once we were camping with only a 15 amp hookup when it got to 19 F. We were fully exposed to a 15 mph wind all night. We kept the coach about 70 F. When I checked the compartments the next morning they were about 50 F.

A comment on the reply from FR that the Arctic Paks don't work unless they have 13.5 volts. That's not totally correct. They are simple resistance heaters and the heat output is directly proportional to the voltage they receive. They will put out less heat at 12 volts than 13.5, but will still work.
2011 Sunseeker 3100
1997 Pathfinder Toad
RamblerGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2015, 06:25 AM   #15
Heat Pads are 12V they work while going down the road if turned on,no Jenny needed! They are needed on units that have Discharge pipes and or valves outside the heated confines of the unit. Snowmobiles have had Heated grips and thumb warmers for Many years all run off of 12V! Youroo!!

youroo is offline   Reply With Quote