Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-16-2015, 02:29 PM   #1

Awning motor issue

Hello! We purchased our 2014 Forester 2251sle in January. It was previously owned by an uncle who bought it in Jan 2014 but barely used it before he suffered heart problems.
We recently had to take it to an RV service station in FL for several reasons, the biggest being the RV awning which died on us.
The service person told us that it was a motor issue and that they could not tell what kind of motor was in it so they would have to take it all apart. Once they found out what motor, then they would have to order the motor.
Is this true? Is there really no tracking on the awning motors? Is it normal for the motor to die within the year even with little use?
Also, since we've had it, the LED lights attached to it have never turned on... Not sure where they are supposed to, though.
joyfulmajoya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2015, 02:34 PM   #2
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by joyfulmajoya View Post
Hello! We purchased our 2014 Forester 2251sle in January. It was previously owned by an uncle who bought it in Jan 2014 but barely used it before he suffered heart problems.
We recently had to take it to an RV service station in FL for several reasons, the biggest being the RV awning which died on us.
The service person told us that it was a motor issue and that they could not tell what kind of motor was in it so they would have to take it all apart. Once they found out what motor, then they would have to order the motor.
Is this true? Is there really no tracking on the awning motors? Is it normal for the motor to die within the year even with little use?
Also, since we've had it, the LED lights attached to it have never turned on... Not sure where they are supposed to, though.
If it is an A&E/Dometic, he's blowing smoke. They have been known to fail from 3 months to 6 yrs.
Old 03-16-2015, 02:35 PM   #3

So where and how do we fix/ get a new motor? It is a Dometic.
Old 03-16-2015, 02:40 PM   #4
Mod free 5er

Quote:
So where and how do we fix/ get a new motor? It is a Dometic.
Factory or ebay. Dometic A E 9100 Power Patio Motor Tensioner Assembly 12V Awning Canopy White | eBay

I carry a new white one and a used black one. JIC.
Old 03-17-2015, 09:38 PM   #5

There was a recall on the 9100 awning which required a motor change. Call Dometic with serial number and check for a recall first. Dometic sent a repair to my house for the repair.

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
Garrette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015, 09:40 PM   #6

Search this forum for recall for more info. It was a safety recall.

Old 03-17-2015, 09:51 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garrette View Post
There was a recall on the 9100 awning which required a motor change. Call Dometic with serial number and check for a recall first. Dometic sent a repair to my house for the repair.

It was some of the very early 2014's that were affected...our tt was built in March 2013 as a 2014 model...so your 2014 Forester that your uncle bought in Jan 2014 might very well be included, and the motor replaced under that recall. You might have to unroll the awning manually, but there should be a serial # on the fabric right where it connects to the tube.

Good luck.
2021 Chevy Silverado 3500HD DRW 4X4 Duramax
“It's not how old you are, it's how you are old.”Jules Renard
"It's not the years...it's the mileage." - Indiana Jones
Capt. Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 12:37 AM   #8

Thank you! We will look into that.
So there is no way to find the serial # without manually unrolling the awning?
Old 03-18-2015, 01:05 AM   #9

Quote:
Thank you! We will look into that.
So there is no way to find the serial # without manually unrolling the awning?
Correct.
Old 03-18-2015, 05:25 AM   #10

Maybe Clemons can look it up. I would think the vin number to FR would be able to supply the serial number. What say you Mr. Clemons?

Old 03-19-2015, 08:23 PM   #11

I got these instructions from my awning users manual. You will need a pull strap. One came with my rv. It is black, about 1" wide. One end has a small round gray plastic piece and the other has a loop. Some where in your rv, you should have a small rod about 3' long with a round bend a 90deg bend. The bend is for the strap. You will need these to control the awning when you put it back up. It is spring loaded.
You will need to loosen the screw shown and with the help of a partner, pull the awning down. This will will put tension on the awning and you guys will need to control it.
When fully extended, place the pull strap in the tube groove. This will give you something to hang on to. Now you can see the manufactures sticker with the model and serial number.

Using the rod, slowly roll the awning into its stowed position. Re install the screw.

Be advised, I was told not to drive the rv because the awning could unspool at speed, thus the safety recall.
I have never had to do this but being familiar with manual awning, this is what I would do..

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1426814564.893076.jpg
Views:	244
Size:	220.7 KB
ID:	71737

Old 03-20-2015, 08:27 PM   #12

Check the switch first for two reasons. First it may be the problem and the motor is fine. Also, more likely IMO because there was a bulletin about it, the switch has been known to fail with the contacts closed causing the motor to burn up.

Also note that the awning circuit is powered directly from the coach batteries and power cannot be removed from the circuit simply by opening the disconnect switch.
ATVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2015, 04:07 PM   #13

There was problem with awning motors that year, replaced mine after it failed. The switch issue was for earlier units.

2014 Sunseeker 3050S

Old 03-29-2015, 04:39 PM   #14

On our 2014 Sunseeker 2900 we would blow an awning fuse every trip. I learn to pack extra's. When I contacted the dealer they told me there was an issue with the 2014's and how the ground was connected for the awning. I scheduled a service call to fix it, but since traded the Sunseeker in for a 5ver. I'm wondering if they ever had a recall? I bought mine at the end of 2013.
Old 04-01-2015, 07:23 PM   #15

Awning motor issue

Yes, there was a recall on the 2013/2014 9100 power awning.

http://rv-pro.com/news/dometic-provi...-awning-recall

Just search for 9100 awning recall.

Tags
awning